• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "What are you listening to?" thread- Part 4

exchemist

Veteran Member
Having watched the coronation, I was motivated by seeing Westminster Abbey again, where Henry Purcell once was organist, to play a CD of Emma Kirkby singing Purcell songs. I have not played this for years. I was struck by the beauty and unexpected twists in the melody of one song in particular:

Words below - it’s about the seduction of a shepherdess.

When first Amintas sued for a kiss,
My innocent heart was tender,
That though I push'd him away from the bliss,
My eyes declar'd my heart was won.
I fain an artful coyness would use,
Before I the fort did surrender,
But love would suffer no more such abuse
And soon, alas! my cheat was known.
He'd sit all day, and laugh and play,
A thousand pretty things would say;
My hand he squeeze, and press my knees,
'Till further on he got by degrees.

My heart, just like a vessel at sea,
Would toss when Amintas came near me,
But ah! so cunning a pilot was he,
Through doubts and fears he'd still sail on.
I thought in him no danger could be,
So wisely he knew how to steer me,
And soon, alas! was brought to agree
To taste of joys before unknown.
Well might he boast his pain not lost,
For soon he found the golden coast,
Enjoyed the ore, and touched the shore
Where never merchant went before.

I think it’s lovely. Though you feel a little sorry for the girl. Things were tough for girls before contraception……...

exchemist

Veteran Member
I've found the score on-line: When First Amintas Sued For A Kiss – Henry Purcell

It's in 6/4 so has a lilting rhythmic interest. Although it's nominally in G major, Purcell flattens a couple of the F# s to F natural, which gives it a minor, or modal, feel for a moment - especially noticeable in the last line of each verse. I think that's what gives the tune that faint touch of bittersweetness.

If you click on the right arrow in the link you get a (rather fast) electronic version. Having heard this I suspect the bandmaster of a Scots regiment could do a lot with this tune, played a bit slower, as a slow march (Left, 2,3, Right, 2,3 etc). I reckon that, on the pipes, it would bring a lump to the throat, especially the middle section. I wonder if it has ever been tried. But I don't know whether it can be made to fit the scale of the Scottish bagpipe, which is a bit weird and has some technical limitations.