• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wedding of Jesus

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
As I read what I sent to you, I see my lack of typing skills jumped in. I meant to says your sample ISN'T large enough to be statistically reliable.
Relax!
I figured that.....I was answering that, absolutely, I could not be sure that they really are Christians.

I am not a Christian, but I believe in the historical figure of Jesus, and 'that's it'.
I don't judge folks by my beliefs and standards (rubbish as they are) , I judge them by thiers.... And so, when any person claims to be Christian I try and discover which Creed they belong to, because differing Creeds can be very far apart. And then I watch them, or read them, or listen to them.
And there are many out there who claim Christianity, but when they write disgusting insults to others, or write that they want to see folks of a different sexuality hang slowly and painfully to death, or run threads apparently based upon Paul's words which don't make a fuss over marital rape, or verses which support slavery, I know that they are not the kind of Christians who I would take into my home and give food and drink.

Fair enough?
:)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Relax!

And there are many out there who claim Christianity, but when they write disgusting insults to others, or write that they want to see folks of a different sexuality hang slowly and painfully to death, or run threads apparently based upon Paul's words which don't make a fuss over marital rape, or verses which support slavery, I know that they are not the kind of Christians who I would take into my home and give food and drink.

Fair enough?
:)

So... if I don't interpret the supposed support of rape and slavery verses they way you interpret them because I don't support those two aspects of humanistic thinking, I'm not welcome to have a cup of coffee with you? :confused:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
The 'church' was set up by Paul (for the most part) not Jesus. Many of the "Christians" that I know cannot even tell you what commandments Jesus gave, let alone his basic teachings. For reference, I was raised in a Southern Baptist setting with my father studying for the ministry before he suddenly passed at an early age. I have had extensive exposure to mainstream Christian teachings.
The church wasn't really set up by Paul. Paul was just one cog in a much larger system. Paul himself was overseen by the Jerusalem Council, who he submitted himself to and worked on the behalf of, even if grudgingly.

The "church," or what became the church was already present before Paul. It was what he was persecuting after all, and what he later joins by his own admission. Paul also tells us that there were different manners in which the church was being spread. He was just one missionary to the Gentiles, while there were also those who went to the Jews. There were also many others who went to the Gentiles, and we know that because Paul lists a few, and even mentions infighting between themselves.

Paul was a Jew though, and the movement he was in, while it allowed for Gentiles to enter into it, was still Jewish. The church itself wouldn't really get its foundation until after the Temple was destroyed, and the two remaining sects of Judaism, that which would become Rabbinical Judaism, and that which would become Christianity, split.

I think you've missed the point. It's how others have interpreted Paul's letters that created the 'baggage' in my opinion. Jesus purposely (IMHO) did not set up a physical church simply because what he taught was on a personal, one to one, basis. Those throughout history who believe that they had "the Answer" were responsible for the form becoming more important than the function in Christianity. Paul's letter lent themselves to selective interpretation that was very useful for manipulating and controlling the masses (no pun intended).
I agree that how others have interpreted Paul has created a great amount of baggage. Particularly how St. Augustine, and later Martin Luther interpreted him. Those two figures, more than possibly anyone else, took Paul away from his Jewish roots, and placed him into Christianity. They interpreted Paul through their own lives, and that has caused some major problems.

Jesus didn't create a physical church because the idea was still quite foreign. The Temple was the place of worship. While there were some synagogues around, they were more gathering places, not churches in the modern day sense. This was also true for Paul, who set up congregations (which really resembled Jewish synagogues, as in, gathering places), but the Temple still played an important part.

The main problem was that there were also thoughts that the Temple complex was corrupt, so Jesus, and his later apostles and missionaries went to a more rural way of thinking, which was already present within Judaism. Still not churches in the modern day sense though.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
So... if I don't interpret the supposed support of rape and slavery verses they way you interpret them because I don't support those two aspects of humanistic thinking, I'm not welcome to have a cup of coffee with you? :confused:
What? :)
Can you rephrase that.... I am more confused than you now.
I bet that you would not support any of those tenets, and nor do I.
I am talking about another web site to omega.

omega2xx

Relax!
I figured that.....I was answering that, absolutely, I could not be sure that they really are Christians.

I am not a Christian, but I believe in the historical figure of Jesus, and 'that's it'.

IMO that is a good first step.

I don't judge folks by my beliefs and standards (rubbish as they are) , I judge them by thiers.... And so, when any person claims to be Christian I try and discover which Creed they belong to, because differing Creeds can be very far apart

I am not allowed to judge if someone is a Christian. If they say they are, I might doubt it, but I would never say they are not

And then I watch them, or read them, or listen to them.

That is a good general policy but remember, Christians remain sinners even after being converted.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
That is a good general policy but remember, Christians remain sinners even after being converted.

Fair enough.
No intention to irritate you, but I still love the Jewish concept of sin, as in 'Sin leads to sickness'.
Sometimes when Jesus cured somebody he would offer a parting 'Sin no more' or 'Your sin is forgiven'...... of course it was.... he had healed them.
I know that some of the 613 are there to bond tribal cohesion, but the vast majority are there to protect, secure and defend from sicknesses of various kinds.

That's just me, rambling on.....

omega2xx

Fair enough.
No intention to irritate you, but I still love the Jewish concept of sin, as in 'Sin leads to sickness'.
Sometimes when Jesus cured somebody he would offer a parting 'Sin no more' or 'Your sin is forgiven'...... of course it was.... he had healed them.
I know that some of the 613 are there to bond tribal cohesion, but the vast majority are there to protect, secure and defend from sicknesses of various kinds.

That's just me, rambling on.....

Let me assure you, you are not irritating me. Ramble on as often and as far as you want to.

Kenny

Premium Member
What? :)
Can you rephrase that.... I am more confused than you now.
I bet that you would not support any of those tenets, and nor do I.
I am talking about another web site to omega.
LOL... well... cornfused and mixed all up we are.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
LOL... well... cornfused and mixed all up we are.

Speak for yerself!

We Deists are known for our high intelligence, extremely good looks, and balanced mental stability.

...... *hic* ...... *hic* ......

...well, there might be just a few minor imperfections ...... in them others.....

:p

:D

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
We Deists are known for our high intelligence, extremely good looks, and balanced mental stability.
Is it true that you actually look like a badger that was just hit by a semi?

Either way, you certainly ain't no match for a wolverine, let me tell ya.

Go
Blue!

Kenny

Premium Member

:D Now that you mention it, he DOES look like he was just hit by a semi!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
:D Now that you mention it, he DOES look like he was just hit by a semi!
You probably shouldn't badger him in that way or you'll maybe be kicked off of RF.

BTW, isn't it interesting that "badger" has such a negative connotation, and I think you and I probably know the reason for that-- not to mention anyone's avatar and name of course.

Now, as a contrast, wolverines are so cute and cuddly.

Kenny

Premium Member
You probably shouldn't badger him in that way or you'll maybe be kicked off of RF.

BTW, isn't it interesting that "badger" has such a negative connotation, and I think you and I probably know the reason for that-- not to mention anyone's avatar and name of course.

Now, as a contrast, wolverines are so cute and cuddly.
Hmmm... I wonder if you aren't a wolverine in a flower boy's clothing. Looks real cuddly on the outside but will slice you up if you get too close! :)

However, one finger touch of mine, will always produce life! :D

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Go
Blue!
That's all cheap lies, spread by various low-lifes!

Huh! Got no manners, them wolverines.
My cousins the honey-badgers might give 'em a good run for their money.

But English Badgers 'ave class, don't yer know....

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
There are people in Kashmir who claim that they are progeny of Jesus/Essa.
Then there is a tribe in Pakistan named Issa-Khel, a sub-tribe of the Niazi Afghans, from the lineage of Jesus/Essa.
Etc
Regards
To add further, there is person from New York with origins in France who claims to be a descendent of Jesus her name is "Suzanne Olsson" who wanted to exhume the tomb of Jesus.
"Tomb Raider: Jesus buried in Srinagar?"
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...us-buried-in-Srinagar/articleshow/5906304.cms
Please
Regards

Ben Avraham

It is correct.
Regards

Good and logical point Paarsurrey. Even to this very day, they make sure a young man gets married as early as possible. For a man to remain unmarried into the 30's was evidence of some kind of abnormality; physical or psychologically. My second wife I married her in Israel soon after I made Aliyah.

Last edited: