• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Walking Dead

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Maybe the organs that appeared to be ripped from Glenn were in fact Nicholas' as it did appear that his body fell on top of him, but that might be a bit of a stretch, and would perhaps be a bit 'cheap' if that turned out to be the case.

But the saddest part of the episode was the poor puppies and such that starved to death in the pet shop (you could see their skeletal remains in the cages).
I hate it when good food goes to waste.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
That would work with a decaying corpse (whenever they use blood or bodies as "camouflage" it's always that of walkers), but not with a fresh one, especially not while they're in the process of eating it. ;)

I mentioned this same possibility to you this morning. As the theory has never been tested on the show, how do we know that it wouldn't work?

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I know the whole idea wasn't great on the writers' part, but so much points toward Glenn still being alive. In a realistic world, he would be dead, but on the show he's going to be fine. I know it's absurd to think that he could escape all those zombies and that none of them would bite or scratch him, but The walking dead has been absurd plenty of times. Just because it isn't great writing doesn't mean it wasn't written.

I believe Nicholas's intestines are what you see being ripped out of Glenn's chest (intestines aren't in a chest, so that's the only way that scene even makes sense.) Not to mention that considering Glenn is one of the biggest characters on the show, they filmed his gruesome "death" only from the neck up. Why not show us all the gore if they're going to kill off such a huge character like that? He's probably going to crawl under the dumpster and then somehow escape from there.

And then the Talking Dead episode removed any doubt when Chris said there wouldn't be *ANY* guests from the actual show (just to help us process the episode better or some nonsense??) they had interviews with several of the actors, but not Steven. He wasn't in the "in memory" segment where they put all the dead characters (and where they've put like... every single character who has ever died ever.) I think Talking Dead alone ruined their entire plan of trying to get the audience to believe Glenn died.

And actual spoiler, so don't look if you don't want to know what I know:

Steven Yeun, who plays Glenn, has been seen filming many, many times, for months and months after this episode was filmed. Not just a few times for possible flashbacks. Unless almost every future episode has flashbacks with Glenn, this just doesn't make sense with the theory of him dying. I also hear people have seen set photos of him with a character who hasn't even been introduced onto the show yet, so unless Glenn's ghost is haunting a guy he never even met, that makes no sense.

I think the way they filmed it was the biggest give away though. If they were going to have Glenn get torn apart and eaten alive, they would have shown us every gore-y detail.

I'm going to be so sad when Glenn really dies. I hope all these close calls aren't any indication that his end is coming... I also wish they wouldn't have wasted so much time and effort trying to make us believe Glenn is dead. What a waste of everyone's time and emotions.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Even if he didn't actually die they still should've placed him on the memorial part of Talking Dead just to keep the deception going.

Assuming they're not actually dead, I don't think things will go the way they did in the comic, either, because of how it's already well expected/anticipated.

I predict they'll be swapped out with Daryl, because apparently Norman Reedus is bound by contract to take part in another Boondock Saints movie.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I think Talking Dead could have taken more effort to go along with the lie too. They barely even tried.

Not sure if I believe Daryl will die... He sure is a huge fan favorite. I think that would make him good choice for that particular death, but I'm not sure if the writers have the balls to do it. I'm thinking it will be Morgan, because he means a lot to Rick... But then, he doesn't mean much to anyone else. They do have nearly a full season to make him mean something to the others though, and he certainly means a lot to the audience. I'm actually more worried for Glenn now than I was before, now that they are trying to sort of act like he's dead. I fear they'll bring him back and then kill him for real because they think no one will expect it after his recent near-death experience.

The only people who can get that death and still have it impact the audience like it did in the comics are Rick, Carl, Michonne, Glenn, Carol, Daryl, Morgan. And Rick, Carl, and Michonne are immortal. So it's between the four... Unless they give the death to someone stupid, in which case people will not care nearly as much. It's got to be someone who matters or else they might as well skip that part of the comic all together.

jonathan180iq

I'll be very disappointed if his "death" is not what it seemed. Why go to all the trouble of making such an emotional episode if it was just a gag?

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I would be angry if it was his final episode because it's not emotional *enough* for me, especially to send off my favorite character. :'( My favorite characters always get really good deaths that last more than three seconds, and then they are on Talking Dead to console me and make me feel a little better, or if they aren't, the Talking Dead episode would at least feature an interview with them or wouldn't be the most awkward, weird talking dead episode ever...

I am angry at the writers though, for trying to trick their audience like that. I don't see the point. It's one thing to make us think a character is dead for a minute or two, or even for a full episode or so, if the last place we see them is someplace that doesn't look 100% dire. But we are obviously meant to think Glenn's dead. They gave him a last line to Rick that mimics his first line to Rick in season one (like they did when Andrea died.) They tried to trick us with the camera angle to make it look like he was actually being ripped apart. (But you can see his chest looks totally elevated higher than it should be, almost as though Nicholas is on top of him or something......, and there are intestines being pulled out of it, so they didn't film it as well as they could have in order to keep up the ruse - or maybe they just thought no one would notice...) He's going to be gone for numerous episodes and the situation he was in looked pretty inescapable, so it's reasonable to assume he's dead. That's what the writers want you to think. We're supposed to think he's dead. This isn't like when Beth was taken by some unknown stranger or when Carol was missing in the prison after the zombies got in, where an audience seemed very sane to believe they were probably still alive. They filmed this in a way to deliberately deceive their audience. Not to make us worry, but to make us actually grieve a death we think is real.

They even half-*** fashioned their Talking Dead episode to go along with it, for a minute. Chris didn't say "Glenn may die," or "Is Glenn dead?" He acted as though Glenn just 100% died. And then he and his guests went on to talk about how maybe not and they didn't include him on the in memory thing... Even their own companion show couldn't go along with it for a full hour. It was poor writing, and poor planning for the followup Talking Dead episode.

Anyway, I'm glad Glenn isn't dead, because I love him the most, but I don't like this whole idea they had with trying to trick the audience. It's cheap and insulting to our intelligence. I hope they don't film any more close-calls like this, because it's really annoying. They can leave characters with uncertain fates like they did with Carol, Beth, Merle, Morales and his family... They can do that, because they weren't trying to actually trick/lie to us. This whole thing is just frustrating.

Tomorrows_Child

Absolutely love the show but the last episode was absolute crap. Literally nothing happened. And I hope this isn't one of those situations where the TWD writers/producers hold out on a big reveal, even though we all know Glenn is alive.

I actually think it's Glenn's wife that dies next.

freethinker44

I would be angry if it was his final episode because it's not emotional *enough* for me, especially to send off my favorite character. :'( My favorite characters always get really good deaths that last more than three seconds, and then they are on Talking Dead to console me and make me feel a little better, or if they aren't, the Talking Dead episode would at least feature an interview with them or wouldn't be the most awkward, weird talking dead episode ever...
Well, the producers did say there would be an episode showing what happened to Glenn, so it's entirely possible that it wasn't as big a deal in the show or on Talking Dead because that wasn't the episode he dies, and the episode coming up that shows what happens when falls to the ground is the episode where he officially dies and has his big emotional death scene.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
From the title I thought the thread was about people who walk around all day with a phone to their ear. :p

jonathan180iq

This season started so majestically and then totally lost me after the Glenn thing... If you're going to Nuke the Fridge, do it on another show.

The whole of the mid-season finale was just so they could make a couple of touching moments right at the end. What a waste of an hour.

PS: Is anyone else tired of AMC using the popularity of the Walking Dead to force crap shows on us? Why are they forcing fans to watch Into the Badlands just to get the final closing scene of the previous show? That's Microsoft-level horse**** right there.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I gave Into The Badlands a chance, but the show needs something more compelling than endless fantasy sword play.

jonathan180iq

I gave Into The Badlands a chance, but the show needs something more compelling than endless fantasy sword play.
Yes! Exactly!

You can tell just from individual scenes that they assumed this "Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon" stuff would somehow play off as a watchable series. There are a couple of decent characters, sure. But it's such a hollow Universe that doesn't make any sense to me, even under the pretenses that they set for it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes! Exactly!

You can tell just from individual scenes that they assumed this "Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon" stuff would somehow play off as a watchable series. There are a couple of decent characters, sure. But it's such a hollow Universe that doesn't make any sense to me, even under the pretenses that they set for it.
Aye, they should take a look at Highlander (just the first one) to see how slice'm up action must be story driven.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Not the best season they ever had, but with all the lose ends they left us with they've at least laid the groundwork for a potentially killer season next round.

I like the way they lit all those thematic fuses in the finale then cut out before anything went "BANG!".