• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The virtues of caste system

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The intentions of the caste system in a nutshell... :
A duck falls into a pond and swims.
A chicken falls into a pond and drowns.

One should know what they're cut out for.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

And I think, based on modern knowledge, such things don't come from birth alone, but are developed through childhood and adolescence.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

yes true, that works in the case of ducts and chickens, but humans are a completely different kettle of fish. The determination should not be based on who your birth parents are

it should be based on your own skills and interests...unfortunately the caste system does not work like that.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
yes true, that works in the case of ducts and chickens, but humans are a completely different kettle of fish. The determination should not be based on who your birth parents are

it should be based on your own skills and interests...unfortunately the caste system does not work like that.

That's correct about the modern system. The original system was more like that, though not exactly.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't really think that any faith based on exclusivity saying that anyone except themselves is going to hell for an eternity should have anything at all to say about the caste system. If that's not the ultimate in caste, I don't know what is.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I don't really think that any faith based on exclusivity saying that anyone except themselves is going to hell for an eternity should have anything at all to say about the caste system. If that's not the ultimate in caste, I don't know what is.

the difference with death is that it doesnt discriminate...rich or poor, intelligent or ignorant, good or bad... all go to the same place

(ps hell is not eternal torment in all religions)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
To be fair, it is difficult to tell how exactly the caste system was originally. Odds are good that the reports that reached us are somewhat idealized.

And also, for whatever it is worth, and regardless of whatever merits it may or may not have had previously, the fact of the matter is that it failed to reach our time in a way that is widely understood to be worth preserving. Maybe it wasn't such a great idea in the first place, maybe it was simply not cared for well enough, maybe it couldn't possibly be cared well enough to be worth keeping.

In all honesty, I just don't see how anyone could conclusively know.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
the difference with death is that it doesnt discriminate...rich or poor, intelligent or ignorant, good or bad... all go to the same place

There is another difference well worth pointing out. Hell is usually presented in such a way to scare even the sincere believers, while the caste system is usually presented (sincerely or otherwise) in a positive way, with at least a nominal attempt at valuing everyone for their assigned roles.

I don't know how or if the Dalits fit in that model, but the ideal presentation of the castes is one where essentially everyone is happy to be in a role that suits their best abilities.

Not to say that it is a good idea, or even necessarily a respectable one. But it must be recognized that it is at least passible of an attempt at a positive, uplifting presentation.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
There is another difference well worth pointing out. Hell is usually presented in such a way to scare even the sincere believers, while the caste system is usually presented (sincerely or otherwise) in a positive way, with at least a nominal attempt at valuing everyone for their assigned roles.

I don't know how or if the Dalits fit in that model, but the ideal presentation of the castes is one where essentially everyone is happy to be in a role that suits their best abilities.

Not to say that it is a good idea, or even necessarily a respectable one. But it must be recognized that it is at least passible of an attempt at a positive, uplifting presentation.

i dont disagree with assigned roles at all, men and woman have traditionally had assigned roles and it works very well

the problem though is that the caste system takes it a step further and puts people into an assigned status within society...its the status which is divisive. All can have different roles to play, but as soon as one person thinks they are better then another, then there is a problem. As Vinayaka pointed out, its just as prevalent in our society and our religions. Humans are too corruptible and imperfect...everyone thinks they are better then the next person. One has more money, one has more education, one has more of something else and all these things cause division.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I apologize. I guess I know very little about the JW faith. I didn't realise that according to that faith, we all go to the same place. I thought there was some number of chosen people. Perhaps I've been talking to the wrong JW s at my door. I guess if I believed that I could go out raping and pillaging with no consequence. But of course as a Hindu, I don't believe in heaven or hell or evil in any Abrahamic sense. Of course in Hinduism, we all return to the same place too ... here. Unless we've attained moksha. So the cruel Brahmin becomes the sudra he was so cruel to. The idea that via reincarnation, we work our way up through caste is just outdated and wrong, and shows a very poor understanding of karma. As I said before, I'm against any form of discrimination, including one based on caste. But a recognition of one's own abilities is useful, which I believe was the original intention. But as others have so wisely put, it is now distorted. I also object to picking out any one aspect of a very diverse set of religions under one umbrella (Hinduism), and jumping all over it based on knowledge that is told by others, not seen.

TTCUSM

A-ManESL,

Persians actually have a somewhat positive view of the caste system. I posted on it in the Hinduism forum.

The Shahnameh by Ferdowsi is an epic composed in 1000 AD that lists the ancient kings of Persia.

The fourth king in the list was named Jemshid, the son of Tahumers. Here is what the epic says about Jemshid's achievements:

Howbeit when Tahumers had sat upon the golden throne for the space of thirty years he passed away, but his works endured; and Jemshid, his glorious son, whose heart was filled with the counsels of his father, came after him. Now Jemshid reigned over the land seven hundred years girt with might, and Deevs, birds, and Peris obeyed him. And the world was happier for his sake, and he too was glad, and death was unknown among men, neither did they wot of pain or sorrow. And he first parcelled out men into classes; priests, warriors, artificers, and husbandmen did he name them. And the year also he divided into periods. And by aid of the Deevs he raised mighty works, and Persepolis was builded by him, that to this day is called Tukht-e-Jemsheed, which being interpreted meaneth the throne of Jemshid. Then, when these things were accomplished, men flocked from all corners of the earth around his throne to do him homage and pour gifts before his face. And Jemshid prepared a feast, and bade them keep it, and called it Neurouz, which is the New Day, and the people of Persia keep it to this hour. And Jemshid's power increased, and the world was at peace, and men beheld in him nought but what was good.

atanu

Premium Member
I can understand the sense of shock and horror at apparent attempts of some of us to justify the stratification of society. Good people will always feel horrified with inequity and cruelty and that guides their own good behaviour.

But this thing goes a step further:

Those who understand varna properly will not justify anything.

• There is nothing to justify -- the universe is stratification -- else it does not exist.
  • There is always a problem with secular ideas in that it does not know that there are no individuals.;) Even Luis, who is a Buddhist is horrified because he is seeing the whole thing as "I" and "Others".
  • Are colours of rainbow of one light or are they discriminating against each other? Who will not like a rainbow to persist?
  • The four varna (colours) belong to single indivisible divine purusha (person), which appears to senses as 'me' (this object-body) and that universe with all others.
  • It is up to individual (one who feels like one) to keep oneself non-discriminatory and not just judge others

atanu

Premium Member
At individual level, whether the varna idea is taught or known does not change the fact that a person of rajasic disposition is motivated from birth (and without his knowing) to capture/acquire/rule. A sattwik person will not have such motivation.

Varna is an explanation of this. It does not matter whether you teach varna to a lion or not. It will most likely attack you. However, for me varna is useful for understanding the nature of things and to know that the nature of thing is dependent on guna (tendency of mind) and karma (work).

That is: the nature of things is changeable and in everyone's control.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
  • There is always a problem with secular ideas in that it does not know that there are no individuals.;) Even Luis, who is a Buddhist is horrified because he is seeing the whole thing as "I" and "Others".

Ex-cu-se me?!?

This is the second time that I am left wondering how come you see a problem with "secular ideas". What does that have to do with the matter?

atanu

Premium Member
Ex-cu-se me?!?

This is the second time that I am left wondering how come you see a problem with "secular ideas". What does that have to do with the matter?

Oh. Pardon me. I realised that my idea of secular ideas and dictionary idea of secular idea are not in sync.

What I meant was the difference between a jnani -- who sees the whole and a ajnani -- who sees all things as separate.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Fair enough... but I will rather keep my shock. Things may be ultimately inescapably connected and inseparable, but I don't find it fair to demand that others accept it on faith.

People have no duty to take someone else's word that there is a higher purpose that they don't understand. It feels simply wrong when such an argument comes from the mouth of an Abrahamist, and it is not much better coming from a Dharmi.

atanu

Premium Member
Fair enough... but I will rather keep my shock. Things may be ultimately inescapably connected and inseparable, but I don't find it fair to demand that others accept it on faith.

People have no duty to take someone else's word that there is a higher purpose that they don't understand. It feels simply wrong when such an argument comes from the mouth of an Abrahamist, and it is not much better coming from a Dharmi.

I do not have any problem with the above (nor with abrahamic scripture). Each one has to reason for oneself and scripture acts as a mere pointer.

However, please do not get the notion that I am pitching for casteism. On the contrary, I believe in, Shri Krishna's teaching "Arjuna the truth is beyond the gunas".

And beyond, gunas, there is no division and no caste.

Again, my Guru, Shri Ramana was casteless -- not only men but animals were considered equal. But he would advice devotees not to be hypocritical. If one has cleared all sense of divisions from mind and acted in all spheres of life accordingly then only one can be truly beyond gunas of mind. Else, it is lip service.

A-ManESL

It feels simply wrong when such an argument comes from the mouth of an Abrahamist, and it is not much better coming from a Dharmi.

Just so you know I dont believe in this notion of segregating religions as Abrahamist or Dharmist. For me it is all one.

Wannabe Yogi

I once read a book by an Indian sociologist using the concept of caste and the development of modern countries. An example of this was America was run buy the merchant caste, China the labors (this book was written in the early 80's while china was still communist), And Iran the religious leaders. It talked about the up and down sides of each group and the way they perceive the world. I found the book to be out of the box thinking in many ways and very refreshing.