• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The true afterlife?

22zg2293

What happens after death? Is there a heaven and a hell? Is it just nothingness? Or will you be reincarnated? Most people believe wholeheartedly that there is an afterlife. But, what if the afterlife is entirely determined and made up of what you believed afterlife to be while you were still alive. When we die will we live in this dimension what we have created for ourselves? Either being with an eternal being or in eternal damnation? If your belief determined what your afterlife would be what would it be like? How can we truly know what the afterlife holds for us.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What happens after death? Is there a heaven and a hell? Is it just nothingness? Or will you be reincarnated? Most people believe wholeheartedly that there is an afterlife. But, what if the afterlife is entirely determined and made up of what you believed afterlife to be while you were still alive. When we die will we live in this dimension what we have created for ourselves? Either being with an eternal being or in eternal damnation? If your belief determined what your afterlife would be what would it be like? How can we truly know what the afterlife holds for us.

My belief doesn't determine the afterlife. I'm understanding life as a cycle where death is when you fully understand the cycle of life and have full insight in the nature of it in relation to self and others. Behaviors affect our cycle and there is no death just transition. That's what I believe. Rebirth (not reincarnation)

I do rather just not exist. Thats the basic idea is once we have full understanding of life and death we no longer will be attached to this life. Our awareness would not be affected by suffering anymore. We die.

There is no strict need to believe in rebirth because the purpose is how we live in this life. If so happen we continue with life I assume most hope it won't be one of more suffering. Just as we can affect others and our situations by our actions (not beliefs) now, so can we in the future.

It's hard to see that as reality but I'm glad rebirth isn't as stressed insomuch as living the present life.

I don't believe any form of heaven and hell exist

David T

Premium Member
What happens after death?

Will i be cast into hell of living in a city over crowded, slogging in a job under paid, on a planet self destructing, or do i go to heaven, hang on the beach, walk forests and play music? I am working on being good so i dont go to hell. I suggest the same for everyone.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
How can we truly know what the afterlife holds for us.
I have formed a fairly detailed understanding of the afterlife from the experiences of Near Death Experiences (NDE), from spirit communication and the insights of those I judge to be psychically gifted.

I believe we are interpenetrating physical, astral and mental bodies. At death the astral and mental bodies separate permanently from the physical body and continue on as much the same entity without the physical body. Time is spent on the astral and mental planes enjoying the greater peace and beauty and absorbing the lessons of the past life and continuing to grow spiritually. After a lengthy stay we return to our soul and the seeds of a new incarnation sprout to continue the spiritual growth experience.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
As a Hindu now, and even long before adopting Hinduism I believed in reincarnation/rebirth based on our karmic debts and karmic "bank account".

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
My personal thoughts are it'll be just like this way.

You're born with no recollection of any past and you live your present life and die.

I try to look at everything from a micro chemistry aspect where atoms combine and form molecules, molecules come apart, and recombine with other molecules creating new things both organic and inorganic in nature.

I don't see how anything could be destroyed in any true respect given the fact that we were born from essentially "nothing". So I figure if it's possible once, it's definitely possible again. Might take a couple of big bangs but I suspect the lights will come on again.

It's my version of rebirth or an educated guess. Whichever is preferred.

Either way , it's why I tell people this life is the afterlife already.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I doubt there is an afterlife, but if there is, I suspect you are already experiencing it.

You will be a different person in a different time and place with no memory of what came before, no idea of what comes after. Like waking from a dream of being someone else you can't recall any of the details from.

Likely you'll be asking the same question, "What happens after death?"

So whether there is an afterlife or not, I don't expect dying to provide any answers.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I think we create our own afterlife. Whether that is consciously or not depends on how one strengthens and isolates their consciousness in life.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

I find ' afterlife ' is Not a biblical teaching, but rather resurrection is.
Afterlife implies that a person is more alive after they die then before they die.
Whereas, resurrection is being resurrected back to live life in either Heaven or here on Earth.
ALL who died before Jesus' ransom price of his death was paid can have an earthly resurrection - John 3:13
ALL who Jesus resurrected where brought back to healthy physical life to live life on Earth.
So, Jesus was giving us a preview, a coming attraction, of what he will be doing earth wide during his 1,000-year reign over Earth.
This ties in with his promise that humble meek people will inherit the Earth at Psalms 37:9-11.

As far as biblical hell is concerned, that is the temporary stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead.
Can anyone think of anyone righteous that went to hell ______
On the day righteous Jesus' died he went to hell until his God resurrected him out of hell - Acts of the Apostles 2:27.
Since Jesus taught that the dead are in a sleep-like state, then Jesus believed he would be sleeping until his God resurrected him out of biblical hell / temporary grave. - John 11:11-14.
Plus, Jesus often referred to the old Hebrew Scriptures which also teach sleep in death such as found at Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4 and Ecclesiastes 9:5.
What resurrection holds for most of us is perfect human physical health of sound heart, mind and body.
As promised at Revelation 22:2 mankind will see the return on Earth of the Genesis "tree of Life" on Earth for the healing of earth's nations. That is why we are all invited to pray the invitation of Revelation 22:20 for Jesus to come!
Come and bring heavenly blessings and benefits to Earth as described at Isaiah 35th chapter.
At that time even enemy death will be No more on Earth as per 1 Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8.

Earthling

David Henson
Well, it is based on evidence (or lack of).
I wouldn't call it scientific though.

Just out of curiosity, have you considered what the Bible says about it? I asked because most science minded atheists think that the Bible says that the soul is some immortal part of us that leaves our body and either goes to heaven all nice and wonderful or hell all bad and terrible. Which it doesn't. That comes from the Greek philosopher Plato.

The Bible says that our blood is our soul, as in it represents our soul, which is our life, experiences, desires etc. It ends with us upon our death and our body rots in the grave. No heaven or hell for most of us. The Hebrew word for soul basically means "breather." The spirit is our breath, which stops upon death.

So, the Bible's view of death is probably not unlike your own inexperienced guess.

Now, the Bible does say that a limited number of people will go to heaven in spirit form immediately after death. This began after Christ himself went to heaven in spirit form after his death. And it also says that at some time in the future there will be a resurrection of the dead who will live forever upon earth without sickness, disease, old age or sin and death, but that's probably when the similarity between your thinking and the Bible separate.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
What happens after death?
Will i be cast into hell of living in a city over crowded, slogging in a job under paid, on a planet self destructing, or do i go to heaven, hang on the beach, walk forests and play music? I am working on being good so i dont go to hell. I suggest the same for everyone.

I find we should be working on being good, so to speak, so we don't end up destroyed.
I say that because Psalms 92:7 says the wicked will be 'destroyed forever'.
And I see we are all given two (2) choices at 2 Peter 3:9.
If we don't ' repent ' from what is bad then we could 'perish ' ( be destroyed )

I find those called to Heavenly life have two (2) jobs to do for people living on Earth as per Revelation 5:9-10.
They will serve mankind living on Earth serving as kings and priests.
As kings they will take care of governmental responsibilities for people of Earth.
As priests they will have spiritual duties towards the people of Earth.

I believe we are nearing a ' time of separation ' to take place on Earth among the living as per Matthew 25:31-33,37,40.
So, to me that means working on being good, so to speak, so do we do Not end up being destroyed.

David T

Premium Member
I find we should be working on being good, so to speak, so we don't end up destroyed.
I say that because Psalms 92:7 says the wicked will be 'destroyed forever'.
And I see we are all given two (2) choices at 2 Peter 3:9.
If we don't ' repent ' from what is bad then we could 'perish ' ( be destroyed )

I find those called to Heavenly life have two (2) jobs to do for people living on Earth as per Revelation 5:9-10.
They will serve mankind living on Earth serving as kings and priests.
As kings they will take care of governmental responsibilities for people of Earth.
As priests they will have spiritual duties towards the people of Earth.

I believe we are nearing a ' time of separation ' to take place on Earth among the living as per Matthew 25:31-33,37,40.
So, to me that means working on being good, so to speak, so do we do Not end up being destroyed.
Self destruction is always at hand.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I don't see how anything could be destroyed in any true respect given the fact that we were born from essentially "nothing". So I figure if it's possible once, it's definitely possible again. Might take a couple of big bangs but I suspect the lights will come on again.
You cannot step into the same river again.
I think we create our own afterlife. Whether that is consciously or not depends on how one strengthens and isolates their consciousness in life.
Our consciousness ceases to exist on the so-called death. It is the product of this brain and its experiences. What really dies is our consciousness. Nothing else dies.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Self destruction is always at hand.

Yes, self destruction is always at hand such as: atomic energy could be atomic bomb.
Man has set man's Doom-and-Gloom Doom's Day Clock with its hands set close to striking the dark midnight hour.
Jeremiah's words prove true that man can Not direct his step. For such reasons is why God is going to have Jesus step in to usher in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.
God will bring to ruin those ruining Earth as mentioned at Revelation 11:18 B.
Because it is God's purpose that Earth abides forever as per Ecclesiastes 1:4 B that is why nothing can destroy Earth.
Even though we do Not know all the details at this time, God will Not allow self destruction or any destruction come to Earth. God will always refresh Earth and what keeps Earth refreshed.