• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soul

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yes. And my perspective is the 'soul' is what I was before my current body and current personality came into existence and what will remain after this body and personality are no more.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Do you believe you have a soul?
As usual, nothing is simple with me. No, I do not believe I have a soul, as it were. It is not something I have, like a car or a book... it is what I am. It is the I within the I within the I within...

And if so, how would you decsribe it?
Ahem. I don't describe it, per se, but I see myself as a Energy Personality Essence. I also much prefer the term entity as it is not hobbled by the religious/spritiual baggage that the term "soul" is.

If not, why don't you?:)
Because it is not a possession. It is what "you" are. It's that tiny star that is shining behind your eyes...

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Do you believe you have a soul?
No...I don't believe that I "have" a soul....I believe that I "am" a soul.

And if so, how would you decsribe it?
What does the Bible say a "soul" is?
A soul is a living, breathing creature. Adam was created by God from the elements of the earth and he breathed into Adam's lungs, the "breath" (spirit) of life. Only with the breath did Adam "become" a soul. (Gen 2:7)

"Souls" in the Bible are never disembodied. Animals are called souls but they have no promise of everlasting life.
We were not designed to go to heaven but to live forever on earth. There is no teaching in the Bible of an immaterial part of man that floats off to live somewhere else after death.
Death is actually death....not another form of life. God told Adam that he would simply die and return to the dust from which he was taken. (Gen 3:19)

If not, why don't you?
God placed humankind as material creatures, on a material earth, in a material universe. There was no natural cause of death in the garden, and God gave humans the commission to "fill the earth and subdue it". Had they just obediently done the will of their Creator, they had the means to live forever on earth right there in the garden. The "tree of life" would have guaranteed that they never died. Once sin entered into the world, access to this tree was denied. (Gen 3:22-24)

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
What does the Bible say a "soul" is?
A soul is a living, breathing creature. Adam was created by God from the elements of the earth and he breathed into Adam's lungs, the "breath" (spirit) of life. Only with the breath did Adam "become" a soul. (Gen 2:7)
Exactly....without the breath of God, Adam would've just been a lifeless body...
"Souls" in the Bible are never disembodied. Animals are called souls but they have no promise of everlasting life.
We were not designed to go to heaven but to live forever on earth. There is no teaching in the Bible of an immaterial part of man that floats off to live somewhere else after death.
Death is actually death....not another form of life. God told Adam that he would simply die and return to the dust from which he was taken. (Gen 3:19)
Ecclesiastes 12:7
and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.
Ezekiel 18:4
Behold, all souls are mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sins shall die.
Matthew 10:28
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
Mark 12:25
For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.
1 Thessalonians 4:16
For the Lord himself, with a cry of command, with the archangel’s call and with the sound of God’s trumpet, will descend from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
Daniel 12:1
[ The Resurrection of the Dead ] “At that time Michael, the great prince, the protector of your people, shall arise. There shall be a time of anguish, such as has never occurred since nations first came into existence. But at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone who is found written in the book. 2 Many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. 3 Those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever.
1 Corinthians 15
[ The Resurrection of the Dead ]
1 Corinthians 15
[ The Resurrection Body ]
1 Corinthians 15:49-51
49 Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we will also bear the image of the man of heaven.
50 What I am saying, brothers and sisters, is this: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable 51 Listen, I will tell you a mystery! We will not all die, but we will all be changed,
Revelation 6:9
9 When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slaughtered for the word of God and for the testimony they had given; 10 they cried out with a loud voice, “Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long will it be before you judge and avenge our blood on the inhabitants of the earth?” 11 They were each given a white robe and told to rest a little longer, until the number would be complete both of their fellow servants and of their brothers and sisters, who were soon to be killed as they themselves had been killed.
Revelation 20:4
Then I saw thrones, and those seated on them were given authority to judge. I also saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their testimony to Jesus and for the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
John 3
[ Nicodemus Visits Jesus ] Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicode′mus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that you do, unless God is with him.” Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born anew, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
Romans 6:4
Therefore we have been buried with him by baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
God placed humankind as material creatures, on a material earth, in a material universe. There was no natural cause of death in the garden, and God gave humans the commission to "fill the earth and subdue it". Had they just obediently done the will of their Creator, they had the means to live forever on earth right there in the garden. The "tree of life" would have guaranteed that they never died. Once sin entered into the world, access to this tree was denied. (Gen 3:22-24)
Yes...God may have made material man on a material world but it was not the material world we have now and the flesh was not like the flesh we have now...both earth and man were pure and imperishable...The knowledge of good and evil condemned man and earth to death..... even if Adam had to have continued eating from the tree of life (which I'm sure would've never died), as long as the spirit that God gave him remained in him, he would've continued to live...
I believe that even if the flesh dies, the soul lives on....I also believe that the earth and souls (of people) who are worthy will one day return to a glorified and imperishable state.

Isaiah 65:17
[ The Glorious New Creation ] For I am about to create new heavens and a new earth; the former things shall not be remembered or come to mind.
2 Peter 3:13
But, in accordance with his promise, we wait for new heavens and a new earth, where righteousness is at home.
Revelation 21
[ The New Heaven and the New Earth ] Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, the newJerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband....
Revelation 2:7
Let anyone who has an ear listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches. To everyone who conquers, I will give permission to eat from the tree of life that is in the paradise of God.
Revelation 22
[ The River of Life ] Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city. On either side of the river is the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, producing its fruit each month; and the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. Nothing accursed will be found there any more. But the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him; ...
Revelation 22:14
Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they will have the right to the tree of life and may enter the city by the gates.
Revelation 22:19
if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away that person’s share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

Demonslayer

Soul music is nice though...:D

Soul Train was an awesome 70 disco dancing show.

soul-train.jpg

Prizebeatz1

Let's not be too hasty in jumping to conclusions. I have experienced the soul and it is real. In fact, it is reality in itself. It is infinite and eternal because it is one with God. Like Father like son. It is 100% natural. Looking into the vast emptiness of outer space on a clear night gives us a glimpse. It brings along with it the feeling of never-ending freedom and liberation, value, eternal richness and an undeniable infusion of self-worth. One must feel it for themselves in order to know the truth of who and what we are.

Last edited: