• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Political post thread

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
DwuySVxWsAAAtQ5.jpg

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
4061464_1853_putinconte.jpg

Putin: go to Washington and convince them to lift the sanctions on Rossiya.
Conte: Are you sure it will work out?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I miss the Winner frubal so much...lol...

By the way... I absolutely agree. It deals with a lounge-loving and carefree Left whose only preoccupation is to call others "fascists" or Nazis.
It is not a Left that deals with improving workers' life, they are very elitist people. They don't understand that truck drivers, farmers, factory workers make a country function.
They chose to be politicians just because they worship money. They are not aware of what they are supposed to do.
They are at a very low degree of awareness.

That's a criticism which has also been leveled against the Democratic left in recent years, that they've grown far too out of touch. In the U.S., there's a certain degree of regionalism at work, where the more affluent and elitist "coastals" look down on the folks in "flyover country."

The left wasn't always like this. I remember earlier times in my life when the left seemed more in tune with the common people, but that has somehow changed. It seems as though the left just kind of wimped out and/or sold out during the Reagan years. Those who once enjoined people to "question authority" and "fight the power" were suddenly singing a different tune. The Clintons were symbolic of those who spoke out and marched against war in the 1960s, only to become shameless warmongers by the 1990s. Even before that, in 1988, we saw presidential candidate Michael Dukakis riding on a tank, in a rather pathetic attempt to prove to his detractors that he was just as tough and just as much of a warmonger as anyone else.

During the same period, I saw the gradual weakening of labor unions. This was especially apparent in 1983, during the copper mine strikes in Arizona. The left during those years, at best, seemed impotent and just couldn't muster up any real political support at the level they once enjoyed in earlier decades. The Democrats had almost a virtual monopoly on power during the FDR years, which carried them into the 1950s and 60s, a period when America's economy was at its peak and the standard of living was rapidly improving across the board - not to mention great strides in social justice and civil rights. This was the Democratic left's crowning achievement.

From building America's industrial might during WW2 to sending a man to the moon, the leadership of the Democratic Party during those years led America relatively well - except in the area of foreign policy and interventionism during the Cold War (and even before the Cold War). That's what led to a certain degree of internal dissension within the Democratic Party, which manifested itself at the '68 Convention. The Republicans capitalized on this. That was a major turning point. Nixon was both a gain and a setback for the right-wing, but the left was too confused and divided. Plus, ending the war took a lot of the wind out of their sails. The causes they marched for, peace and civil rights, seemed to be winning and succeeding. But the Democratic Party itself was still somewhat divided and in disarray. The economy also started facing a downturn, thanks in part to the quadrupling of oil prices, which led to the energy crisis and runaway inflation of the 70s. It was clear that whatever post-war good times there were from 1945-1970 were now over.

I think the left pretty much played itself out, which is why the Reaganites managed to rise to power. What people regard as "the left" today seems more of a contrivance of corporate public relations firms and advertising executives. It's almost like they're presenting some kind of parody, using the imagery of "the left" to just run a game on people. It only really works as long as we continue to have steady economic growth and improvements in the standard of living - and that's where they've failed. They forgot the one cardinal rule that even primitive thinkers like Bismarck and Napoleon III were able to figure out: Always keep the home folks happy. FDR and other liberal Democrats in the mid 20th century knew it, but by the time of Reagan, it seemed they were starting to lose their way.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If I say that printing money doesn't cause inflation, trust me. High GDP countries can print euros and dollars.

Technically true. Printing money has no impact on inflation. However I'd assume this printed money is going to be released into circulation, and that indeed impacts on inflation.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
She seemed to handle it pretty well. If it was Trump, he'd probably have them forcibly removed.
She is very tolerant towards dissent. Here a LGBT activist express his dissent getting on stage during a rally. She says she respects his stance and asks the audience to give him a round of applause

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I do love whenever Americans post videos or write articles about how fascist Italy has become or is becoming.
I think Americans have never understood Italian mindset or Italian psychology. The word fascist doesn't mean anything any more in Italy...it's just a word of the past that now is misused. And by the way, it's a word that scares nobody any more because everyone can freely express their opinion and there is neither tyranny nor pensée unique.

Brickjectivity

One
Staff member
Premium Member
Q: Are grisly and grizzly related terms?
A:
Although these two words are spelled in similar fashion and are often confused, they do not share a root. The word grizzly derives from the Middle English grisel¸ which means "gray" and comes from the Anglo-French gris, describing the same color. Grisly, on the other hand, comes from the Old English grislic, related to an Old English verb meaning "to fear." --https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grizzly#:~:text=The%20word%20grizzly%20derives%20from,verb%20meaning%20%22to%20fear.%22​