• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The problems with Islam and possible solutions?

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
You chose to ignore the main part of my argument then.. I'm not surprised.

We don't say, Allah knows best, so that we can say whatever we want without any responsibility as to its correctness. That is simply abusing the words.

And Allah says in the Qur'an that disbelievers go to hell for an eternity.

5:37 "Their wish will be to get out of the Fire, but never will they get out therefrom: their penalty will be one that endures."

2:167 "...And they are never to emerge from the Fire."

7:40 "Indeed, those who deny Our verses and are arrogant toward them - the gates of Heaven will not be opened for them, nor will they enter Paradise until a camel enters into the eye of a needle. And thus do We recompense the criminals."

43:74 "Indeed, the criminals will be in the punishment of Hell, abiding eternally."

What is the point of saying, "I don't know if that's [that which is said in the Qur'an and repeated numerous times] true," and then adding, "Allah knows best," that's obviously hypocritical.

It is true that there are many verses pointing to Hell especially for the disbelievers as well as the hypocrites and evil-doers. But since there are also verses which suggest that Allah may will it otherwise (i.e. 6:128 and 11:107), and Allah points also time and again to His Mercy, as well as the Hadith Qudsi that His Mercy will prevail over His Wrath, I argue that whilst he has given a stern warning to the disbelievers and hypocrites and evil-doers of Hell, I prefer to rely on His Mercy as being the overriding factor in such determinations. As to my saying and Allah knows best. That is because I genuinely and sincerely believe what I believe but can never know for certain that what I believe is correct. For Allah does indeed know best in all matters. That is not hypocrisy.

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
Rather the scholars say that the sinners who are believers may or will be taken out of hell sometime, but nobody wants to go to hell for any period of time.

Do 6:128 and 11:107 definitely refer to believers who are sinners, then, who will be taken out of Hell sometime? 6:128 in particular refers to an eternal dwelling in the Fire, except as Allah may will, and the following verses suggest that these are aimed at disbelievers (i.e. 6:129 and 6:130).

11:107 is more ambiguous. It could possibly be referring to believers who are sinners (who will nevertheless according to the verse dwell in Hell for a very long time indeed, 'for all the time that the Heavens and the Earth endure'), although verse 11:109 suggests this verse too might be aimed at disbelievers who used to worship others than Allah.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Going back to the OP (opening post):

and the deadly blows of my fear of Your punishment.

This is poetic expression of regret taught by Imam Jewad (a).

What I'm proposing is that none of the Quran is fully ever abrogated, it's abrogation is situational, in one situation war is allowed, in another it's not for example. It's not that any verses are every fully cancelled out. To make the verses in the 4th chapter about this issue not abrogated is in fact sensible, as we would be putting Quran at the mercy of hadiths and man made methods to determine which one abrogates which (Suratal Noor verses or Suratal Nisa verses abrogating those). The rational way is to say they are both revealed for all time and interpret one another.

Going to the metaphoric proses of "hands" and we know both hands are not cut according to any hadiths and so this can't be literal.

There are ahadith that I quoted that show maiming is forbidden (cutting off limbs), there are hadiths even saying physical punishment is never the way to reform any human.

It make more sense that combining the verses, house arrest was the common way, but it was not to be a vacation, but rather, days of "deadly blows of my of your punishment" so that the human is reformed.

There is more to be said about this from a spiritual standpoint, Mohammad (s) is a weapon or a missile as expressed in Quran against Satanic forces, and so lashes can be spiritually metaphorical too. He is suppose to cleanse the human and so it's recommended to make people aware of his spiritual station so that he can cleanse the sinners from their sins.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do 6:128 and 11:107 definitely refer to believers who are sinners, then, who will be taken out of Hell sometime? 6:128 in particular refers to an eternal dwelling in the Fire, except as Allah may will, and the following verses suggest that these are aimed at disbelievers (i.e. 6:129 and 6:130).

11:107 is more ambiguous. It could possibly be referring to believers who are sinners (who will nevertheless according to the verse dwell in Hell for a very long time indeed, 'for all the time that the Heavens and the Earth endure'), although verse 11:109 suggests this verse too might be aimed at disbelievers who used to worship others than Allah.

Salam dear,

I can explain these verses in a way they don't contradict hell being forever, but this is all off-topic from the OP. Let's make a thread about whether hell is forever or not per Quran. I think there is too many verses that explain it to be forever that these two verses have to be interpreted in light of those rather than the other way.

But let's make a new thread for that. If you don't do it, I will do it inshallah, it will be a good and important discussion inshallah.

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
Salam dear,

I can explain these verses in a way they don't contradict hell being forever, but this is all off-topic from the OP. Let's make a thread about whether hell is forever or not per Quran. I think there is too many verses that explain it to be forever that these two verses have to be interpreted in light of those rather than the other way.

But let's make a new thread for that. If you don't do it, I will do it inshallah, it will be a good and important discussion inshallah.

I'm not sure it is off topic, as the notion of disbelievers being punished in Hell for eternity could be seen as a 'problem with Islam' and my interpretation of these two verses could be seen as a possible solution to that, but anyway, happy to create a new thread about it.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure it is off topic, as the notion of disbelievers being punished in Hell for eternity could be seen as a 'problem with Islam' and my interpretation of these two verses could be seen as a possible solution to that, but anyway, happy to create a new thread about it.

You are right, I included in the OP. Okay, I will reply soon inshallah.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Salam

We know by many verses, believers will never be removed from paradise. So it can't mean some believers God will make an exception and remove them from paradise. As contextually, they are twin statements the one about paradise and one about hell, I feel it's best to translate it as "it is only what God wills..." rather then make it as exception. So it's a commentary that this is what God wills and doesn't will anything other then that.

What do you think of this?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My primary reason for leaving Islam for five years was the concept of hell and my love for human beings made it that I couldn't accept it.

What I proposed in the OP, is some philosophical reasoning for it. However, the Quran more then anything else perhaps, goes into length in proving hell and it's forever nature, and why.

So we can discuss the philosophy for sure from the standpoint. It's not easy to accept, I know, because it takes one to remove the veils of CLAIMS of people in their outward clothes/masks, and see the interior from the viewpoint of the light and Quran.

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
Salam

We know by many verses, believers will never be removed from paradise. So it can't mean some believers God will make an exception and remove them from paradise. As contextually, they are twin statements the one about paradise and one about hell, I feel it's best to translate it as "it is only what God wills..." rather then make it as exception. So it's a commentary that this is what God wills and doesn't will anything other then that.

What do you think of this?

Salam,

That's an interesting idea. I guess my response to that would be, why then does Allah not make a similar statement in relation to Paradise?

Wasalam

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The verse saying that about paradise is right next to the verse you quote about hell.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is why I don't believe anything is actually ambiguous in Quran, it's contextually clear and explains itself.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can you give me the relevant verse(s) and your translation of the relevant verse(s)?

It's 11:108.

Sure, I can translate, my interpretation is:

As for the happy, they will be in paradise. They will remain in it for as long as the heavens and the earth endure—it is only as your Lord wills—a gift never coming to an end.

وَأَمَّا الَّذِينَ سُعِدُوا فَفِي الْجَنَّةِ خَالِدِينَ فِيهَا مَا دَامَتِ السَّمَاوَاتُ وَالْأَرْضُ إِلَّا مَا شَاءَ رَبُّكَ ۖ عَطَاءً غَيْرَ مَجْذُوذٍ

I am also proposing the words "عَطَاءً غَيْرَ مَجْذُوذٍ" show that it means paradise will never cease for anyone, so there is no doubt now, it's "it is only as your Lord wills".