• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The problem of evil; is it evidence for God's nonexistence?

The problem of evil; is it evidence for God's nonexistence?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do you understand the concept of 'consent'?
Can you explain to me why rape is wrong?
What if someone gave you a forever reward after raping you? Would that make the rape morally good?

Those are two different topics.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, they are not.
Is it alright to rape you if you are granted a forever reward just after?
No one has right to grant reward or punishment but God. God can't rape because he is an unseen being and won't even if he can. But he allows evil things and trials of people to occur through people including rape.

God will reward resilience to rape and will also reward people trying to prevent rape.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
No one has right to grant reward or punishment but God. God can't rape because he is an unseen being and won't even if he can. But he allows evil things and trials of people to occur through people including rape.

God will reward resilience to rape and will also reward people trying to prevent rape.

But what if he did decide to rape you?
Would that be alright?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Great! So you agree it is not alright to inflict suffering upon someone just to give a forever reward, right?
No I don't. But the way he afflicts suffering must be meaningful. It must never be due to God alone. Satan and his forces are a trial for believers, the misguidance they cause and oppression a trial. Believers being patient to all the afflictions they face for the sake of God and striving for his light and justice on earth, and resisting the oppressors, is going to be rewarded.

God creates the world, tries us by good and evil, and tries us by each other. He doesn't directly afflict afflictions, but rather, set up the world, so that the greater your faith is and greater you care for justice, the more you will suffer from the evil people.

He allowed disease, natural disasters, etc, as well, so people don't become arrogant and don't take life for granted.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Sure, he takes responsibility, says he guides and misguides, and could've made sure every soul was given guidance, but his word to fill hell has become incumbent on himself on disbelievers.

I'm sure God never wanted anyone including Iblis to be misguided, but creating a forced world where everyone is forced to worship God in a non-meaningful way, is not better.
You've told us:

- God tried to create a perfect world.
- God misguides.
- God never wanted anyone to be misguided.

Exactly how could all three of these statements be true?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You've told us:

- God tried to create a perfect world.
- God misguides.
- God never wanted anyone to be misguided.

Exactly how could all three of these statements be true?
"You did not throw when you threw but God threw"

You did not throw
Contradicts
You threw
God threw is related how?

We can all play dumb or try to understand.

PureX

Veteran Member
In general it seems like proving that a thing does NOT exist is a waste of time.
Especially when it's someone else's "thing". :) But it seems to be an obsession with some atheists.
I think that - regardless of the domain - it's the responsibility of the person making the claim that something exists, to prove that claim with repeatable, predictable, reliable evidence.
Positing an opinion is not the same as making a claim, no matter how it's being presented. And when it comes to the question of God's nature or existence, I don't see how anyone could consider anyone else's iterations anything but opinion. I mean, how could anyone make an actual claim in that regard apart from 'direct personal experience' which cannot be transferred to anyone else?

I realize people talk big, as though they know this and that, but I've never been able to take them seriously. Because "God" by any definition that I can logically ascribe to the term is beyond the realm of any human being's ability to grasp or verify.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If an atheist is making this argument with that intention, how would it prove God does not exist?

As others have noted, this is not an argument that gods do not exist, just tri-omni interventionalist gods like the in the Abrahamic religions. But note that the atheist doesn't need this argument to justify his atheism. He needs a compelling argument to justify belief. Atheists aren't trying to disprove gods to theists. They are explaining why they don't believe.