• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The problem of evil; is it evidence for God's nonexistence?

The problem of evil; is it evidence for God's nonexistence?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
If morality is subjective, on what basis are you imposing your subjective morality on anyone or thing? From a subjective framework, how do you judge something else which will have it's own subjective moral stance? Consider that very carefully.

Because I consider my morality to be superior to the other moralities. I judge other moralities based on some basic moral standards that I consider to be important, like not harming others unnecessarily. I have selected these in various ways, one of which is the "golden rule" that I feel is very powerful. Yes, my morality is subjective, but that's not to say it is meaningless. It can be tested against whatever standards you choose.

I see this quite often. Nevermind the counter argument, then this is Gods subjective morality "according to you". So that's that. You cannot make objective judgement calls.

Of course, because morality is not and cannot be objective (remember my definition of objective). To be objective, it has to exist independent of a mind. It may be unlikely that I can deduce the mind of God, so I can only assume his thought processes have some parallel with ours. Do you think though that God can (or has) created morality that stands alone independent of himself? If we could see such things, would we see God here and over there morality? What would it look like?

Is that a thought experiment?

It's a definition.

Nevertheless, if the universe is inanimate, there is no thought. Morality does not exist.

Exactly. In a universe with no sentient creatures there would be no morality. But that does not describe our universe.

But that's your subjective pain. That does not affect the other. So you have to be selfish and inconsiderate about the other to safeguard your happiness. Is that your epistemic stance?

Of course not. That would be a sociopathic "stance". Why do you think that if my personal morality includes consideration for others, I would not follow it? And how does objectivity or subjectivity enter into it?

If that is subjective, the other person may have no empathy, no morality of your standard. It's acceptable, because morality is subjective according to you. You cannot pass objective judgments.

I think you are saying that if I consider morality to be subjective, I have to consider all moral systems to be of equal value. Not so. The sociopath is acceptable to me only to the extent that I realize that he has a different morality, and maybe can't help it. I can still observe his actions and conclude that they tend not to fit with my standards in some sense such as that they harm others. I may not be able to make objective judgements (a contradiction in terms by the way) but I can still subjectively compare my moral standards to those of others.

I appreciate your answer. But you just said "I have empathy" and that "I feel". Where does that empathy come from? Is it innate? How is it innate? If that is your subjective morality, according to you God can also have his subjective morality. What is your yardstick? Is it arbitrarily made by you?

Ah a good question. I don't think the answer makes any difference practically. I know I have empathy. I observe that others have it. It seems to be a common thing in humans, with some exceptions. That would suggest that it's not "arbitrarily made by me". God? See my comments above. It seems likely that either God installed a version of his (subjective) morality in us, or it evolved. I favor the latter explanation, but either way we have subjective morals, either first or second hand.

Do you understand where this is going?

I think so. Before we go any further with my views though, perhaps you could explain what you mean by "objective morality". How would I differentiate it from subjective morality?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Because I consider my morality to be superior to the other moralities. I judge other moralities based on some basic moral standards that I consider to be important, like not harming others unnecessarily. I have selected these in various ways, one of which is the "golden rule" that I feel is very powerful. Yes, my morality is subjective, but that's not to say it is meaningless. It can be tested against whatever standards you choose.

Not what I said.

Of course, because morality is not and cannot be objective (remember my definition of objective). To be objective, it has to exist independent of a mind. It may be unlikely that I can deduce the mind of God, so I can only assume his thought processes have some parallel with ours. Do you think though that God can (or has) created morality that stands alone independent of himself? If we could see such things, would we see God here and over there morality? What would it look like?

That's not a definition in reality. Someone made up that definition out of thin air. Sorry but this is an absurd understanding of objective morality purely made up with the end goal of saying God does not exist which is begging the question. Its a logical fallacy.

I think you are saying that if I consider morality to be subjective, I have to consider all moral systems to be of equal value.

Now you are bringing another word "value".

Ah a good question. I don't think the answer makes any difference practically. I know I have empathy. I observe that others have it. It seems to be a common thing in humans, with some exceptions. That would suggest that it's not "arbitrarily made by me". God? See my comments above. It seems likely that either God installed a version of his (subjective) morality in us, or it evolved. I favor the latter explanation, but either way we have subjective morals, either first or second hand.

So most humans have empathy. Not all. And that's subjective morality for you Alien?

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Aha. You seem to have moved from what I thought was a friendly inquiry into my views to an attack on them. I'll let it go for a while, but please, no more "that's wrong" comments that are not accompanied by an explanation as to why you think whatever I said is wrong.

Not what I said.

I thought I addressed it. You'll have to restate and /or explain if you want me to answer.

That's not a definition in reality. Someone made up that definition out of thin air. Sorry but this is an absurd understanding of objective morality purely made up with the end goal of saying God does not exist which is begging the question. Its a logical fallacy.

I was careful to say that it was my definition. I do understand that not everyone shares it. Perhaps instead of an outright condemnation with no explanation you could give your definition as I asked. Incidentally, I don't see how saying that God's morality is subjective would be an argument against the existence of God. Please explain.

Now you are bringing another word "value".

I didn't invent the word. If you don't understand it, I suggest consulting a dictionary. Or, explain why you think it is not appropriate, if that is the case.

So most humans have empathy. Not all. And that's subjective morality for you Alien?

This is another example of your debating style. Ask an aggressive question then leave me floundering to work out what you mean. I'm not playing that game. Please clearly state your response to what I said so I can understand it and hopefully reply.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I was careful to say that it was my definition. I do understand that not everyone shares it. Perhaps instead of an outright condemnation with no explanation you could give your definition as I asked. Incidentally, I don't see how saying that God's morality is subjective would be an argument against the existence of God. Please explain.

I didn't mean to say that God's morality is subjective is an argument against the existence of God. Never-mind. You said what you are positing is your own definition. I am saying that it's the wrong way of thinking. And you see, it was you who brought in God into this discussion. I was only asking you to understand your epistemology, and bringing God in to that was your explanation of your epistemology. One does not need a God to exist to philosophically argue for an objective morality. Many atheists argue for objective morality. Like Michael Ruse. He says verbatim; "Morality is a bit like the laws of nature in that it exists outside me and I am subject to it". Do you understand that? This morality exists, and it is beyond me, and I am subject to it. That means objective morality exists. Forget God at this time.

If Morality is purely subjective, there will not be an objective morality. There where do humans get their objective moral values? You gave some moral issue which I can't remember right now, but you said that most humans have it. If it's subjective, it will not be so. If there are rapists, humans consider rape immoral. That's objective morality. Saying this you seem to be a realist, but still you argue for type of relativism. That's conflicting. And the reason I asked you where the source of this morality is because in moral philosophy there is a huge discussion on naturalism and non-naturalism. You are a naturalist it seems, which would entail cold, hard truths about morality, and they remain objectively true, whether individual people choose to follow them or not. Rape being "bad" is objectively true, even if some people choose to not follow it. But that's objective morality. In non-naturalism, “bad” can’t really be defined or even quantified because it can’t be defined by words other than synonyms for itself. Is it intuitionism that you are proposing? Think about it. Don't think that these things are just to attack you. It's to understand your epistemology.

I didn't invent the word. If you don't understand it, I suggest consulting a dictionary. Or, explain why you think it is not appropriate, if that is the case.

I didn't say you "Invented the word value". I said you are bringing it, like you brought in the word "bad" which then you will have to define, which cannot be philosophically defined as I said above under your intuition argument because it conflicts with your subjective argument. I don't know if you have thought about it. There were societies that kill their parents. That's "Subjective morality"? It is a practice that members of the community, including the parents, take to be morally permissible and perhaps even morally required. So is Parricide moral because this community collectively found it moral? The reason I spoke of you "bringing in" new words like bad, value, etc for the discussion every time this is questioned is because it is just another word. E.g. Parricide is one societies "value". But it's not an objective value because you will not kill your parents for any reason. Neither will I. You misunderstood it to mean you invented the word "value". So it's a little demeaning to say that someone should refer the dictionary if the word value is not understood. It maybe that you didn't understand what was said. You should think that everyone in this forum will understand English, at at least the most basic level enough to know the dictionary meaning of the word 'value'.

It so happened that just a few days ago, another gentleman in this forum said that my English grammar is very bad and that my language does not seem to be English. Yet it so happened that the particular paragraph he was referring to as "Bad English" was a copy paste from one of the most recognised, English speaking, Phd educated, western philosophers in the whole world. So this person was ultimately saying that the most respected atheist philosopher in the world at the moment has "Bad English" and that "his language is not English". ;)

Cheers.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I didn't mean to say that God's morality is subjective is an argument against the existence of God. Never-mind. You said what you are positing is your own definition. I am saying that it's the wrong way of thinking. And you see, it was you who brought in God into this discussion. I was only asking you to understand your epistemology, and bringing God in to that was your explanation of your epistemology. One does not need a God to exist to philosophically argue for an objective morality. Many atheists argue for objective morality. Like Michael Ruse. He says verbatim; "Morality is a bit like the laws of nature in that it exists outside me and I am subject to it". Do you understand that? This morality exists, and it is beyond me, and I am subject to it. That means objective morality exists. Forget God at this time.

As far as including God is concerned, we're in a thread that talks about the problem of evil, and God's existence, so it didn't seem unreasonable to follow that path. Nevertheless, we can exclude it from our discussion if you wish.

So some atheists argue for an objective morality, and you quote one. So far that's just an assertion. Once more, I can't defend my position if you don't show arguments for yours. Why is my position wrong? Not because Michael Ruse said so, at least until I know how he came to that conclusion. If you are not prepared to move beyond assertions, how can we have a discussion?

If Morality is purely subjective, there will not be an objective morality. There where do humans get their objective moral values? You gave some moral issue which I can't remember right now, but you said that most humans have it. If it's subjective, it will not be so. If there are rapists, humans consider rape immoral. That's objective morality. Saying this you seem to be a realist, but still you argue for type of relativism. That's conflicting. And the reason I asked you where the source of this morality is because in moral philosophy there is a huge discussion on naturalism and non-naturalism. You are a naturalist it seems, which would entail cold, hard truths about morality, and they remain objectively true, whether individual people choose to follow them or not. Rape being "bad" is objectively true, even if some people choose to not follow it. But that's objective morality. In non-naturalism, “bad” can’t really be defined or even quantified because it can’t be defined by words other than synonyms for itself. Is it intuitionism that you are proposing? Think about it. Don't think that these things are just to attack you. It's to understand your epistemology.

To repeat, my argument is that morality is subjective because it cannot be shown to exist outside the minds of sentient beings. Simple agreement between a majority of humans does not make that false. If rape is objectively "bad" and some people don't agree, then something must exist outside people's minds that establishes that objectivity. Can you show me that something? Why are you avoiding that question? If it's as obvious as you claim it shouldn't be difficult.

You've stopped the aggressive tone, for which I thank you. I think I've set out my argument plainly enough for you to understand it. If you want to convince me that I am wrong though, you'll have to offer more than just assertions that "morality is objective". Why is it objective?

I didn't say you "Invented the word value". I said you are bringing it, like you brought in the word "bad" which then you will have to define, which cannot be philosophically defined as I said above under your intuition argument because it conflicts with your subjective argument. I don't know if you have thought about it. There were societies that kill their parents. That's "Subjective morality"? It is a practice that members of the community, including the parents, take to be morally permissible and perhaps even morally required. So is Parricide moral because this community collectively found it moral? The reason I spoke of you "bringing in" new words like bad, value, etc for the discussion every time this is questioned is because it is just another word. E.g. Parricide is one societies "value". But it's not an objective value because you will not kill your parents for any reason. Neither will I. You misunderstood it to mean you invented the word "value". So it's a little demeaning to say that someone should refer the dictionary if the word value is not understood. It maybe that you didn't understand what was said. You should think that everyone in this forum will understand English, at at least the most basic level enough to know the dictionary meaning of the word 'value'.

Forgive my sarcasm about the dictionary. Look back to how you responded to see why I was a little irritated. I have to use words to convey my meaning. I used "bad" as an alternative to "evil" because that has religious connotations. "Value" is a subjective term that I chose for that very reason.

If people or societies develop a morality that (yes) values parricide, it's subjective to them. They may have valid reasons for that. You may be thinking of Inuits (in their original state) that would leave old people to die on the ice when there was a shortage of food, because they felt the survival of their children had more (yes) value to their tribe than those who have already lived most of their lives. It makes sense. We don't feel that way, no, but we are not faced with their situation. Both moral convictions are subjective by my definition.

It so happened that just a few days ago, another gentleman in this forum said that my English grammar is very bad and that my language does not seem to be English. Yet it so happened that the particular paragraph he was referring to as "Bad English" was a copy paste from one of the most recognised, English speaking, Phd educated, western philosophers in the whole world. So this person was ultimately saying that the most respected atheist philosopher in the world at the moment has "Bad English" and that "his language is not English". ;)

It's not so much that your grammar is bad, but that you tend to phrase things differently from how a native English speaker would. One explanation would be that English is your second language, another that you are native to a country that speaks English but differently, like for example Pakistan. You could settle this easily by telling us where you live, but we have no right to demand that of you.

firedragon

Veteran Member
As far as including God is concerned, we're in a thread that talks about the problem of evil, and God's existence, so it didn't seem unreasonable to follow that path. Nevertheless, we can exclude it from our discussion if you wish.

That's not what I meant. In a basic conversation on morality, to deduce objective or subjective morality God does not need be there. Otherwise atheists like I quoted will not believe in an objective morality. And of course I have given a lot of discourse by atheists to you.

So some atheists argue for an objective morality, and you quote one. So far that's just an assertion.

Not really Alien. It's not just an assertion. That level of philosophers do not just stop at assertions. This is a discussion that has been going on for a long long time. Centuries. They conclude. Not "Some atheists", but "Some of the greatest atheist philosophers in the world". Even evolutionary biologists who's work in the subject of evolutionary biology are considered world authority by atheists.

If people or societies develop a morality that (yes) values parricide, it's subjective to them. They may have valid reasons for that.

So you think it's okay for "them" because it's "them" after all. It's not objectively wrong to kill parents. Fine.

It's not so much that your grammar is bad, but that you tend to phrase things differently from how a native English speaker would.

One explanation would be that English is your second language

As I said, I get this sometimes when I give direct cut and paste from lets say an American atheist evolutionary biology philosopher. ;). I said this once earlier, but you are saying this again. It's an arrogant position of those who consider themselves high natives but without knowing the other you making that decision shows bigotry.

I don't use these terms in a colloquial way so making them bad English is invalid. It's your lack of epistemic humility.

So let's just end this conversation. Thank you very much for the conversation.

Cheers.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
As I said, I get this sometimes when I give direct cut and paste from lets say an American atheist evolutionary biology philosopher. ;). I said this once earlier, but you are saying this again. It's an arrogant position of those who consider themselves high natives but without knowing the other you making that decision shows bigotry.

I don't use these terms in a colloquial way so making them bad English is invalid. It's your lack of epistemic humility.

So let's just end this conversation. Thank you very much for the conversation.

Cheers.

OK. You've totally missed my point, and somehow I've offended you. That was not intentional.