• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pope

Riders

I watched a video saying Catholics regard him as Christ on earth. Is this correct? They claim he is being worshipped in a way, regarded as the Holy Father. So what do Catholics have to say about this?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I watched a video saying Catholics regard him as Christ on earth. Is this correct? They claim he is being worshipped in a way, regarded as the Holy Father. So what do Catholics have to say about this?

He's considered a representative of Christ, not actually Christ. All priests are considered to act in persona Christi in their functions as priests.

In a way all disciples of Jesus ("Christians") could be called "Christ" on earth, because:

Most assuredly I tell you, he who receives whomever I send, receives me; and he who receives me, receives him who sent me.”
John 13:20

But, I hope everyone understands, that doesn't mean they are actually the Christ.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
As a shepherd of souls. A person who represents the unity of the RCC, even if each diocese has its own bishop.
That's what pastor means in Latin. Shepherd.

pearl

Another with an ax to grind. Although with all the pomp etc of the past its easy to come to that conclusion. For anyone who really knows the Church, it can be understood as a 'sacrament' of Christ, as Christ is a sacrament of God. The last Council changed the image of a pope from the
pyramidal model to one at the center within the 'people of God'.

Riders

Yes, there is a lot of anti-Catholic sentiment out there. I did not mean to start a fight, but sense I saw the video I was curious. I believe you though, I don't think Catholics worship the Pope.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
No, he's just the chief pastor of the Catholic Church. We're supposed to be respectful of the pope but we don't even have to like him. There's been a number of awful popes. Only Christ is Christ. "Holy father" is just a term of respect. We call clergy father because they're viewed as the spiritual fathers/leaders of the community. It's just a traditional thing.