• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pope of Rome is Antichrist

So was the last Pope, and the former president George W Bush, the last time I checked. How many are needed before the Rapture occurs?
The papacy is the office of Antichrist- not an individual pope. All popes are Antichrist. Whenever the church has been awake she has always known this. The people of God shall be in the earth till He returns. The saints will be in the world in the midst of the 7 last plagues but they will be safe. God says, “Come, my people, enter thou into thy chambers, and shut thy doors about thee; hide thyself as it were for a little moment, until the indignation be overpast. For, behold, the Lord cometh out of his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity.” Isaiah 26:20, 21.
When Jesus returns He will make a full end of the wicked. The second advent of the Son of God is foretold by lips which make no mistake: “Then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.” [Matthew 24:30, 31.] Then shall they that obey not the gospel be consumed with the spirit of his mouth, and destroyed with the brightness of his coming. [2 Thessalonians 2:8.]

But unless you're Jewish, God wasn't talking to you about that. There was no requirement in eretz Israel for gentiles to observe Shabbat. If they chose to do so, that's all fine and dandy, but it was never considered a requirement.
Jesus has said: "The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath" Mark 2:27. The requirement is binding on man, not Jews or any particular group of people. When God sanctified and enjoined the Sabbath in Eden there were no Jews, but Adam was there and to him the commandments were committed as the father and representative of the race.

Jesus said " If you love me keep the commandments " and " think not that I am come to destroy the law ". That seems pretty clear that anyone who wants to follow Jesus should keep the commandments including the sabbath. Christians should certainly keep the other commandments. They should not kill or steal or commit adultery. And they should honor their parents and worship only the true God. The only commandment they have a problem with is the sabbath. What is so difficult.? God worked six days and rested the seventh. He wants people to do the same. Why try to find excuses or reasons not to do it? Therer is not one word in the Bible that says to observe any other day than the seventh.
Satan knew that he could not well deceive the people regarding all the ten commandments as that they were abolished because their requirements were too plain to many minds. That is why he chose to attack just one.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Jesus has said: "The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath" Mark 2:27. The requirement is binding on man, not Jews or any particular group of people. When God sanctified and enjoined the Sabbath in Eden there were no Jews, but Adam was there and to him the commandments were committed as the father and representative of the race.
The is no reference of God teaching the observation of Shabbat until Exodus (see Exodus 16:23). In Genesis it only says He took the 7th day as a day of rest, but no where does it say that He assigned that observance to Adam and Eve or anyone else.

BTW, do you keep the kosher Laws? Also, how do you observe Shabbat? There's reasons I ask this.

The is no reference of God teaching the observation of Shabbat until Exodus (see Exodus 16:23). In Genesis it only says He took the 7th day as a day of rest, but no where does it say that He assigned that observance to Adam and Eve or anyone else.

BTW, do you keep the kosher Laws? Also, how do you observe Shabbat? There's reasons I ask this.
In saying that the Sabbath was made for man, Jesus reveals that it was made for all mankind. Before the Israelites came to Sinai they understood the Sabbath to be obligatory upon them. In being obliged to gather every Friday a double portion of manna in preparation for the Sabbath, when none would fall, the sacred nature of the day of rest was continually impressed upon them. And when some of the people went out on the Sabbath to gather manna, the Lord asked, “How long refuse ye to keep My commandments and My laws?”
I don't eat flesh. I observe the Sabbath by refraining from secular work and leisure activities.

metis

In saying that the Sabbath was made for man, Jesus reveals that it was made for all mankind. Before the Israelites came to Sinai they understood the Sabbath to be obligatory upon them. In being obliged to gather every Friday a double portion of manna in preparation for the Sabbath, when none would fall, the sacred nature of the day of rest was continually impressed upon them. And when some of the people went out on the Sabbath to gather manna, the Lord asked, “How long refuse ye to keep My commandments and My laws?”
I don't eat flesh. I observe the Sabbath by refraining from secular work and leisure activities.
I don't care what you think Jesus says as that's not the issue being discussed. The fact of the matter is that the Sabbath Laws were given to Jews only, and they constitute several Laws, including a ban on traveling out of one's locality on Shabbat. Also, the Sabbath Laws are only several of the 613 Laws the Moses said were from God, and here's the listing of all of them plus where they're found in Torah: http://www.jewfaq.org/613.htm (the Sabbath Laws can be found from 108-111).

It is strictly "picking & choosing" to obey only a handful of these Laws while ignoring the others. If you personally choose for follow some of the Laws, including the Sabbath Laws, that's your choice of course, but it is not mandated for you to do as such from God if you're a Gentile.

lostwanderingsoul

That does not explain why Jesus said "if you love me, keep the commandments" and "think not that I come to destroy the law". It looks like a lot of people who call themselves "Christians" do not love Jesus because they keep looking for excuses not to keep the commandments.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
That does not explain why Jesus said "if you love me, keep the commandments" and "think not that I come to destroy the law". It looks like a lot of people who call themselves "Christians" do not love Jesus because they keep looking for excuses not to keep the commandments.

And who, according to Christian scripture, was Jesus speaking to when he reportedly said the above?

Jews.

metis

But then how do you explain these verses:

Luke 16:16: “The Law and the prophets were in force until John.”

Romans 6:14: “Sin will no longer have power over you; you are under grace, not under the Law.”
7:6: “Now we are released from the Law.”
10:4: “Christ is the end of the Law.”
11:20: They were cut off because of their unbelief and you are there because of faith.”
14:20: “All foods are clean.”

I Corinthians 7:19: “Circumcision counts for nothing.”

Galatians 3:10: “All who depend on the observance of the Law… are under a curse.”
5:2: “If you have yourself circumcised, Christ will be of no use to you.”
5:4 “Any of you who seek your justification in the Law have severed yourself from Christ and fallen from God’s favor.”
6:15: “It means nothing whether you are circumcised or not.”

Ephesians 2:15: “In his own flesh he abolished the Law with its commands and precepts.”

Hebrews 7:18: “The former Commandment (I.e. priests according to the order of Melchizedek) has been annulled because of its weakness and uselessness.”

lostwanderingsoul

The question is - How do you explain the words of Jesus? It is one thing to say you love Jesus but a different thing to say He did not mean what He said. Do you love Him enough to believe what He said or do you still look for excuses.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
As a Mormon, of course I don't recognize the Pope as the successor of Peter or head of Christ's church. But, nor do I consider him to be anti-God or anti-Christ. Also I don't believe there is a one and only "Anti-Christ". This is a term that refers to any person or institution that fights against the Son of God. Some are certainly more influential than others. I consider the Pope to be a good man, a man of God, who serves God according to his beliefs concerning the Bible and the Church. I can believe that, while not believing all Catholic interpretations or tradition.
My sentiments exactly. I actually really, really admire Pope Francis. It seems to me that he really understands what it means to be a Christian.

My sentiments exactly. I actually really, really admire Pope Francis. It seems to me that he really understands what it means to be a Christian.
"The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is." Rev 17:8. Holy Writ foretold that the world would worship the pope so it is no surprise that it is happening.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
"The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is." Rev 17:8. Holy Writ foretold that the world would worship the pope so it is no surprise that it is happening.
If you are implying that I worship the Pope, you are sadly mistaken. I'm a Mormon and I don't worship the LDS Prophet either! I worship Jesus Christ, just as my Catholic friends do. I do know a good Christian when I see one, though, and as far as I'm concerned, Pope Francis fits the definition perfectly.

If you are implying that I worship the Pope, you are sadly mistaken. I'm a Mormon and I don't worship the LDS Prophet either! I worship Jesus Christ, just as my Catholic friends do. I do know a good Christian when I see one, though, and as far as I'm concerned, Pope Francis fits the definition perfectly.
Properly the world is worshipping the Pope by keeping Sunday -the day of his appointment - holy.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Do you honestly see that in another human being just as yourself? How are you different than Pope Francis?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Okay. Stop it with the Sabbath thing guys:

Col 2: 14-18 Was trying to find this for years.

16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ

18 Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you. Such a person also goes into great detail about what they have seen; they are puffed up with idle notions by their unspiritual mind.

I think Jesus has a point. Rest on the seventh day. Saturday and sunday are names not days. We desginated those names. We could have made the week 17 days if we liked depending on how we 'wanted' to interpret and define what it means behind the earth rotating 365 days. It means nothing to nature.

Give it up. Pope has nothing to do with it.

Do you honestly see that in another human being just as yourself? How are you different than Pope Francis?
I do believe it because 'We have also a more sure word of prophecy' 2 Peter 1:19. The testimony of our senses is not to be relied on. The only thing in the whole world which we can trust is the Bible.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I do believe it because 'We have also a more sure word of prophecy' 2 Peter 1:19. The testimony of our senses is not to be relied on. The only thing in the whole world which we can trust is the Bible.

But he is just a man like you and me. He has no special powers. I find it terribe to imply a human being a beast (as per first scripture) all because of the authority he has in the church.

What does his authority do to make him hated by god?

Edit

I should say hated by antichristians. I wouldnt see god hating someone who loves him enough to serve others.

But he is just a man like you and me. He has no special powers. I find it terribe to imply a human being a beast (as per first scripture) all because of the authority he has in the church.

What does his authority do to make him hated by god?

Edit

I should say hated by antichristians. I wouldnt see god hating someone who loves him enough to serve others.
It is not the man but the office that he holds. The office of the pope and therefore whoever sits on it is antichrist.