• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pope of Rome is Antichrist

Martin Luther said, "I know now that the pope is antichrist, and that his throne is that of Satan himself.” The Bible spoke of the man of sin who is also Antichrist that he, "exalts himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God"-2 Thessalonians 2:4. The Pope has done just that by thinking to change God's Sabbath and, as a sign of his authority above God, substituted it with a day of his own making.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Maybe it's those who say the Pope in the "anti-Christ" whom are actually "anti-Christs" themselves?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Martin Luther said, "I know now that the pope is antichrist, and that his throne is that of Satan himself.” The Bible spoke of the man of sin who is also Antichrist that he, "exalts himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God"-2 Thessalonians 2:4. The Pope has done just that by thinking to change God's Sabbath and, as a sign of his authority above God, substituted it with a day of his own making.

The Pope sees himself as a victor of Peter not god.

He places himself as an authority of the Church not people as a whole.

Why are protestants threatened by the pope?
All of his dictations are requirements for Church congregants not all Christians.

Maybe his influence on government politics is a greater concern than how the Pope oversees and is a authority of his (Peter's) own Church.

metis

I'm pleased that you wrote "... an authority of the Church", not "...the authority of the Church". The Pope is not a dictator, and by Canon Law he must work in conjunction with the bishops, including when he speaks "ex cathedra".

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm pleased that you wrote "... an authority of the Church", not "...the authority of the Church". The Pope is not a dictator, and by Canon Law he must work in conjunction with the bishops, including when he speaks "ex cathedra".

Thank you. Yes. It's a joint authority with differing roles, congregants included :)

metis

The Mosaiic Law only applies to Jews, which was probably a major factor as to why the move of the main observance of a "day of rest" was moved from Shabbat to "the Lord's Day" (Sunday) during the 2nd century, which was before the title of "Pope" was even in existence.

Sunday was the day of the observance of the "agape meal", which is mentioned in the "Didache" that was composed either at the end of the 1st century or the beginning of the 2nd. The "Didache" was a handbook for Christians living or visiting in the diaspora that gave a general guideline on how to conduct themselves.

lostwanderingsoul

Apparently the Jews were God's chosen people so anyone who follows other teachings is admitting that he is not among the chosen. God never said He was giving up on the Jews and turning instead to the "Christians".His promises to the Jews were to last forever and the rules for His chosen people were also to last forever. No one was ever given the authority to change anything including what day to worship. The reason for observing the seventh day was that God worked six days and rested on the seventh. He did not rest on the first day. And He never told anyone to change the day of rest to the first day of the week. This was an invention of the early "church" that was trying to be as different from the Jews as possible but did not realize they were changing things they had no power to change.

metis

And He never told anyone to change the day of rest to the first day of the week. This was an invention of the early "church" that was trying to be as different from the Jews as possible but did not realize they were changing things they had no power to change.
But the Sabbath Laws didn't pertain to gentiles anyway, and by the time you get into the 2nd century, there's probably far more gentiles than Jews in the Way. The "agape meal" was celebrated on Sunday because that was the day of the resurrection, plus they weren't bound by the Law, so it shouldn't at all be surprising that Sunday eventually dominated as the primary "day of rest".

lostwanderingsoul

Everyone is free to choose but if God says to observe the seventh day and someone else says observe anagape meal, I think I will stay with God.

metis

Everyone is free to choose but if God says to observe the seventh day and someone else says observe anagape meal, I think I will stay with God.
But unless you're Jewish, God wasn't talking to you about that. There was no requirement in eretz Israel for gentiles to observe Shabbat. If they chose to do so, that's all fine and dandy, but it was never considered a requirement.

lostwanderingsoul

Jesus said " If you love me keep the commandments " and " think not that I am come to destroy the law ". That seems pretty clear that anyone who wants to follow Jesus should keep the commandments including the sabbath. Christians should certainly keep the other commandments. They should not kill or steal or commit adultery. And they should honor their parents and worship only the true God. The only commandment they have a problem with is the sabbath. What is so difficult.? God worked six days and rested the seventh. He wants people to do the same. Why try to find excuses or reasons not to do it? Therer is not one word in the Bible that says to observe any other day than the seventh.

lostwanderingsoul

Any man who rises to the rank of President of the United States also deserves respect but I would not base my religion on something he says.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Any man who rises to the rank of President of the United States also deserves respect but I would not base my religion on something he says.

Think of it like this. If you became a priest (assuming you are male) would you consider yourself "over" your congregation? If you do, that is not Catholicism.

Say you served for years "for" congregants and decided to act as a decean. Would you consider yourself "over" your congregation? If you do, that is not Catholicism.

Then you went to become a bishop and although having more resonsibility to the people, would you consider yourself "over" your congregation? If you do, that is not Catholicism.

Back to the priest. Many priest "in the past" had abuse their role as an authority NOT The authority of the church. Some do recently. That is not the Church. Youre basing The Church on man. The only authority of The Church

Is god.

It is in the catechism of the catholic church. It seems like Pope Francis is relaxing things a bit. However, the authority and sacremants of the church only aplies to its congregants.

Why are you concerned over what catholics view as true christianity? Youre basically spitting on christ and his sacraments.

Instead, the pop is like a pastor at a baptist church and was a role of an elder like in the JW church.

Once You say he is the authority of he church, you call him god. No Catholic sees the pope as god nor jesus. So where do you get the accusation from? Politics?

Edit: Oh. Also. The pope is the victor of Peter not Christ and not god. Once you make him god, that is not catholicism.

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

I do not care what anyone believes. My concern is when people say they believe in what Jesus or the Bible says but then their beliefs are completely different from what Jesus or the Bible says. People say they do not have ro follow the 10 commandments but Jesus said "if you love me, keep the commandments". God worked for six days creating the universe and rested on the seventh day. He said to honor that seventh day but people say it was sonehow changed to the first day. Either base your beliefs on the Bible or admit that your religion is based on what some man says.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I do not care what anyone believes. My concern is when people say they believe in what Jesus or the Bible says but then their beliefs are completely different from what Jesus or the Bible says. People say they do not have ro follow the 10 commandments but Jesus said "if you love me, keep the commandments". God worked for six days creating the universe and rested on the seventh day. He said to honor that seventh day but people say it was sonehow changed to the first day. Either base your beliefs on the Bible or admit that your religion is based on what some man says.

How do you know though? Their actions are between that person and god. So, if someone is partying every night and skipping the Sabbath, then it's between that person and god in regards to repentance. I don't understand what's wrong with us men. What's wrong with man? What is wrong with you and I?

I understand why you'd be upset over someone saying X but they do Y. Though, it's a spiritual growth, so I wouldn't hold it on them.

Scott C.

Just one guy
The Pope sees himself as a victor of Peter not god.

Why are protestants threatened by the pope?
All of his dictations are requirements for Church congregants not all Christians.

Maybe his influence on government politics is a greater concern than how the Pope oversees and is a authority of his (Peter's) own Church.

As a Mormon, of course I don't recognize the Pope as the successor of Peter or head of Christ's church. But, nor do I consider him to be anti-God or anti-Christ. Also I don't believe there is a one and only "Anti-Christ". This is a term that refers to any person or institution that fights against the Son of God. Some are certainly more influential than others. I consider the Pope to be a good man, a man of God, who serves God according to his beliefs concerning the Bible and the Church. I can believe that, while not believing all Catholic interpretations or tradition.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
As a Mormon, of course I don't recognize the Pope as the successor of Peter or head of Christ's church. But, nor do I consider him to be anti-God or anti-Christ. Also I don't believe there is a one and only "Anti-Christ". This is a term that refers to any person or institution that fights against the Son of God. Some are certainly more influential than others. I consider the Pope to be a good man, a man of God, who serves God according to his beliefs concerning the Bible and the Church. I can believe that, while not believing all Catholic interpretations or tradition.

A lot of Catholics would be happy to hear that respectful reply. Thank you. :)

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

So was the last Pope, and the former president George W Bush, the last time I checked. How many are needed before the Rapture occurs?