• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
It was explained to me many ,many years ago Christians purposely celebrated their holy days at the same time as others(the Jewish and Pagans) celebrated their holy or holidays so as to keep Christians at Christian celebrations and make it harder for Christians to celebrate with Pagans or the Jewish.......;)

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmm. Okay. Since you said the Christians dont claim the concept of the Logos oriented with Christianity, where do they claim it originated from?
Greek philosophy. I don't know that any one person claimed to have invented the concept.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Yes as far as I am aware.

Its not correct Rival. They also contradict and affirm that they are not really referring to Greek philosophy because in the Greek philosophy they used Logos to be more literal than the Christians. Christians refer to Philo because he was a Jew but hellenised as a precursor in scholarship, but not in Christianity per se. So Philo probably did inherit Logos from Greek philosophy because he was hellenised. But Christians claim that Logos existed since the beginning with God, equal to God, and eternal as God, and that its a Christian concept. Not Greek.

Nevermind. Thanks for the clarification.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hmm. Okay. Since you said the Christians dont claim the concept of the Logos oriented with Christianity, where do they claim it originated from?
It orients with Christianity quite well, at least as far as the author of John is concerned:

John 1:1 Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος.

The idea of the logos comes in early in Greek philosophy ─ Heraklitos, from memory, but feel free to correct me.

the id

firedragon

Veteran Member
The idea of the logos comes in early in Greek philosophy ─ Heraklitos, from memory, but feel free to correct me.

Oh that's absolutely correct. That is where Philo got the Logos from. So though he was a Jew, he was hellenised. But none of the Greeks ever had the same concept of the Logos as the Christians. Never. So since the concept of Logos is mentioned not in the generic, linguistic sense in John, he is thought to have been influenced by Philo. This is one of the reasons John does not get into the Synoptic problem.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Easter is not Pagan. It is Jewish.
For instance in all Romance languages the word Easter comes from Pesach.
It is calculated on the basis of Passover, not on the basis of the Greco-Roman spring festivities.

Romans used to celebrate:
1) Spring equinox (dedicated to Attis)
2) Floralia (between late April and early May).

Christmas is on the day of Sol invictus, 25th of december. So...as for Xmas it is right

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Oh that's absolutely correct. That is where Philo got the Logos from. So though he was a Jew, he was hellenised. But none of the Greeks ever had the same concept of the Logos as the Christians. Never. So since the concept of Logos is mentioned not in the generic, linguistic sense in John, he is thought to have been influenced by Philo. This is one of the reasons John does not get into the Synoptic problem.
It's certainly an unclear area, because of the wide ambit of meanings, even before we get to the Christians and the theology: my small dictionary provides "saying, speaking, speech, mode of speaking, eloquence, discourse, conversation, talk, word, expression, assertion, principle, maxim, proverb, oracle, promise, order, command, proposal, condition, agreement, stipulation, decision, pretext, fable, news, story, report, legend, prose-writing, history, book, essay, oration, affair, incident, thought, reason, reckoning, computation, reflection, deliberation, account, consideration, opinion, cause, end, argument, demonstration, meaning, value, proportion' and then it adds 'New Testament the Word'.

One may take one's pick. Perhaps we should translate it as 'thingie'.

firedragon

Veteran Member
It's certainly an unclear area, because of the wide ambit of meanings, even before we get to the Christians. Even before we get to the theology, my small dictionary provides "saying, speaking, speech, mode of speaking, eloquence, discourse, conversation, talk, word, expression, assertion, principle, maxim, proverb, oracle, promise, order, command, proposal, condition, agreement, stipulation, decision, pretext, fable, news, story, report, legend, prose-writing, history, book, essay, oration, affair, incident, thought, reason, reckoning, computation, reflection, deliberation, account, consideration, opinion, cause, end, argument, demonstration, meaning, value, proportion' and then it adds 'New Testament the Word'.

One may take one's pick.

Thats the reason I said earlier "in the Greek philosophy they used Logos to be more literal than the Christians". Christians dont use it in the literal sense or the dictionary meaning. Only John makes it a bit special, and Christians made it extra special, and that is why I said it is one of the reasons John does not get into the synoptic problem.