• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The only difference between religions.

MikeF

Premium Member
Hmm.

Lets say I tell you that if one scripture is false, all else could be false, that is the definition of a slippery slope.

The stated opinion of an individual is irrelevant in this thought experiment. The experiment assumes that veracity can be determined independent of any particular individuals belief. The issue is that if there are many non-identical scriptures and one or more are actually inaccurate or untrue, in whole or in part, then it is possible for all to be inaccurate or untrue in whole or in part. It is a logical possibility. Just as it is possible for all to be partially true in some way, or only one to be actually true.

Clara Tea

Disagree because I think first cause (of the universe) is logically necessary...

If first cause is necessary then God (omnipotent creator) exists.
If God exists then his revelation must be true.

If God is infallible then the scriptures must be entirely correct and true.
Otherwise God is not God because it's contradicts it's omnibenevolent nature.

Trump exists, so his assertion that we could cure covid by injecting lysol into our veins must be true. (same logic).

"If God is infallible" (that is the assertion, but is the assertion true?)

If God is infallible, and God made Lucifer (the perfect angel who felt that he could challenge God), then how perfect is God? Surely God, who could see the future, knew that Lucifer would do that?

If God is perfect and all powerful, why does God allow evil? Why did God give Satan dominion over the earth when Adam and Eve were kicked out of Eden?

If God is perfect, why does He allow suffering of cancer patients? Why is the world of nature filled with animals eating other animals (sometimes chewing on them while they still live)?

It is a circular argument to say that the scriptures say that God is infallible, and if God is infallible, then the scriptures must be true.

For many people, the bible is the only source of information about God. Psychics have more info, they claim.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
But, if God can't be proven to exist, and religions can't be proven to be the correct religions
God can't be empirically proven because God is a spiritual being.
Otherwise God can't be disproven philosophically, so the burden of proof is on atheists rather than theists.

My first ingredient for formula for which religion is true is to look at which one is older, which is again not empirical proof.

how does one decide to disdain other faiths?
I think one does it by looking at works of other faiths, but there may be other subjective factors as well.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Could is not a slippery slope to me. That requires will in a sense as I understand slippery slope.

Brother. That is the definition of a slippery slope. It's not valid argumentation nevertheless. ITs like if one scientific theory was proven wrong, everything could be proven wrong. Even though fundamentally its valid to say such a thing, it's a fallacious argument.

Clara Tea

Shouldn't one disdain all unevidenced belief (faith)?

No faith has proof (except psychics who correctly predict the future, and can prove it).

Fact Sheet: DHS Internal Working Group Protects Free Speech Other Fundamental Rights When Addressing Disinformation That Threatens the Security of the United States | Homeland Security

So, I worry that Homeland Security's Disinformation Governance Board might cross the line of "protecting free speech/press" and consider that any unproven statement on the internet must be banned. If so, that would ban religious forums (like this one).

The Disinformaiton Governance Board just acquired the right to remove posts and rewrite posts on public forums (like Facebook, Twitter, etc). Will Elon Musk's efforts to buy Twitter to ensure free speech be in vain if the government interferes with citizen's lives and freedoms?

Free religion is predicated on free speech, press, and assembly.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
lead inevitablylead inevitably
Brother. That is the definition of a slippery slope. It's not valid argumentation nevertheless. ITs like if one scientific theory was proven wrong, everything could be proven wrong. Even though fundamentally its valid to say such a thing, it's a fallacious argument.

Oka, here is mine: a course of action that seems to lead inevitably from one action or result to another with unintended consequences.
Could: used to indicate possibility

I don't view to indicate possibility as lead inevitably to. But that is just me. So I will now bow to you as the God of understanding because that is your stick. Or not. ;);)

MikeF

Premium Member

Um ... I do not see your sample statement as being a valid thing to say, fundamentally or otherwise.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
The stated opinion of an individual is irrelevant in this thought experiment. The experiment assumes that veracity can be determined independent of any particular individuals belief. The issue is that if there are many non-identical scriptures and one or more are actually inaccurate or untrue, in whole or in part, then it is possible for all to be inaccurate or untrue in whole or in part. It is a logical possibility. Just as it is possible for all to be partially true in some way, or only one to be actually true.
It is logically possible that all scriptures are wrong.
However that all are true is impossible.

In either case faith is required.

Clara Tea

Well, that God is only the God for a subset of scriptures and thus a subset of religions.

Jesus Christ gave the Jewish faith to non-Jews (so they are called Christians). Are you saying that is not the same God?

Do Lutherans, Puritans, and Baptists have the same or different God?

It seems to me that they are all the same God in the Judeo/Christian/Muslim faiths, since all of those faiths are related (spun off of the Jewish faith).

Perhaps other Gods around the world are also the same God (though their practices seem much different)?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Jesus Christ gave the Jewish faith to non-Jews (so they are called Christians). Are you saying that is not the same God?

Do Lutherans, Puritans, and Baptists have the same or different God?

It seems to me that they are all the same God in the Judeo/Christian/Muslim faiths, since all of those faiths are related (spun off of the Jewish faith).

Perhaps other Gods around the world are also the same God (though their practices seem much different)?

There are more than the God of the Judeo/Christian/Muslim faiths as you point out.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Trump exists, so his assertion that we could cure covid by injecting lysol into our veins must be true. (same logic).
Except that Trump is not God.
Since Trump is not God he is not omnibenevolent.
Since he is not omnibenevolent some of it's assertions may be false.

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
In my understanding it is only different techniques within the different religions/spiritual practice that are different. Like in How to get in to Heaven or how to realize Nirvana.

So why are people so protective of their belief? Saying "my belief is the right one"
But when looking at the spiritual aspects of all religions, they seek something similar.
And it is my opinion that at the very root, that "something similar" that you say the all seek is "how not to face the fact that I will die."

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
You are assuming that God is logical. I don't assume that or that God is not.
I don't assume God is logical.
God is logical because the observed and known universe is driven by logic.
The laws of physics and mathematics are nowhere illogical.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I don't assume God is logical.
God is logical because the observed and known universe is driven by logic.
The laws of physics and mathematics is nowhere illogical.

No, it is not. Even logic has a limit. You are in effect doing an over-reduction of all, some, something else, noting, same, similar and/or different.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Wrong speculation.

First, you are somehow blinded to fail to speculate on how a truth (any truth) is conveyed through humans. The exclusive way for truth to convey among humans is through the process of faith in human testimonies. For example. the death tolls of covid-19 have been listed on a daily basis for more than 2 years now. Which day's figure is ever made evidenced to you (or 99.99%) humans. It's none. You choose to believe those figures are correct or not. It is so because those figures are in the form of human testimonies from those small groups (extremely small amounts of humans) responsible for counting and collecting data, then for the majority to choose to believe or disbelieve. This is how our reality operates.

Second, all left is which religion (for the sake of argument let's assume that God is true) is more valid in terms of human testimonies.
No speculation.
Only my understanding of the different religions. The OPis not about other aspects