• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The only difference between religions.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Therefore you're relativist or philosopher, you do not belong to any religion.
But religious person believes in God and revelation given by God.

That is your belief about what religion is. I have another. I also have another belief about what God is, than you in all likelihood.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
That is your belief about what religion is. I have another. I also have another belief about what God is, than you in all likelihood.
haha, this sound like, you believe a car is a car, but I believe a car is a house, and this belief makes me religious.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
haha, this sound like, you believe a car is a car, but I believe a car is a house, and this belief makes me religious.

No, God is to me not a thing like a car or house. I think that you and I do parts of the everyday life differently and I accept that. I also accept that you properly feel different in how you understand what I do. I also accept.

But here is what I think. You are apparently debating me. But this sub-forum is not for debate. We can exchange views and talk about them, but we can't debate them.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
In my understanding it is only different techniques within the different religions/spiritual practice that are different. Like in How to get in to Heaven or how to realize Nirvana.

So why are people so protective of their belief? Saying "my belief is the right one"
But when looking at the spiritual aspects of all religions, they seek something similar.
I would say, IMV, the only difference is works vs gifts.

So, perhaps, in Buddhism man works his way into nirvana and living 8 paths and becoming one whereas in Christianity becoming one with God is a gift and not of works.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In my understanding it is only different techniques within the different religions/spiritual practice that are different. Like in How to get in to Heaven or how to realize Nirvana.

So why are people so protective of their belief? Saying "my belief is the right one"
But when looking at the spiritual aspects of all religions, they seek something similar.
It's more than just technique or practice. Religions can be entirely different things, for some reason all subsumed under a single term.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Different religions have each their own scriptures.
Scriptures are everything, and if scriptures are contradictory then only one can be right.
Why can't scriptures be contradictory and right?
If your religion believes reality is structured in consciousness, and that there are different realities corresponding to different states of consciousness, what's true in one reality might be patent nonsense in another, equally real, state.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Why can't scriptures be contradictory and right?
Because it's logically impossible that (A ≠ B) = (A = B)

If your religion believes reality is structured in consciousness, and that there are different realities corresponding to different states of consciousness, what's true in one reality might be patent nonsense in another, equally real, state.
If different religions would be about different realities then there would no need to interfere into another reality.
What you're saying is that a president is not contradictory to prime minister, which is true since one does one job and the other does other job, but religions are not like that, religions are interferent because of God or God's will.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Great topic. In this matter, I would truly like to hear what Hindu's have to say. If Hindu's truly contribute in this thread and they are really philosophical, I will later tell you why I am looking forward to hearing from them.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I don't think the differences are only superficial. There are deep philosophical differences. E.g. look at the image of man. The negative image of the monotheists of man as inherently flawed is anathema to most pagan religions (and not even shared by all monotheists).
Without these differences it should be easier to reunite.

But is not that one of the most trivial things?

Another thing is power. Aspiring spiritual dictators don't like to be subordinate. When they can't take over an organization, they take their followers and leave.

Is not that a personal thing? Not an ontological norm?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Because it's logically impossible that (A ≠ B) = (A = B)

Thats the wrong way to go about it Paradox. I understand your point, but this is an extreme.

For example, two scriptures could be contradictory in one matter, but aligned in another. So what you showed as a logical impossibility is a fallacy of composition.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

dualism and monism aren't the same thing. you can't love another until you understand the love of self.

you can't separate what love has joined together and find heaven elsewhere

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
For example, two scriptures could be contradictory in one matter, but aligned in another. So what you showed as a logical impossibility is a fallacy of composition.
The question was "Why can't scriptures be contradictory and right?" therefore we are talking about the word of God.
We both believe that God is infallible, ex. God does not not lie, therefore fallacy of composition does not apply here because this would prove God wrong on all contradictions points.
Otherwise if God is fallible, just a little bit (not necessarily entirely) then he is not God.

Do we agree that God is infallible?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The question was "Why can't scriptures be contradictory and right?" therefore we are talking about the word of God.
We both believe that God is infallible, ex. God does not not lie, therefore fallacy of composition does not apply here because this would prove God wrong on all contradictions points.
Otherwise if God is fallible, just a little bit (not necessarily entirely) then he is not God.

Do we agree that God is infallible?

Well, that God is only the God for a subset of scriptures and thus a subset of religions.