• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The number of ex-Muslims in America is rising

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

Eihab

Journalist
Good. May America, the West generally and the rest of the world be a safe place for any & all who take the risk of leaving Islam.

Was there something you wanted to discuss regarding this? I ask only because just posting a link leaves a lot of guesswork for what you're trying to say.
Thank you for your asking, I am in America, Just feel happy to read it, so, wanted to share with you all.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
The problem with highlighting ex-Muslims is that most ex-Muslims come from war torn countries or come from places where there is heavy extremist views. Irshad Manji is a heavy influence, and unfortunately many ex-Muslims paint this picture that Islam is inherently wrong based on their own experience, linking it with scripture. Unfortunately, Muslims drunk with power have been the cornerstone and the face of Islam, and like any religion its members are seen as the face of the religion.

If we want to be technical Christianity as practiced in contemporary times have been the most poisonous of all faiths, but we would not see that in the media due to the influence of Christian economical influence. People leave and exchange religious faiths all the time this is nothing new in the world. Islam is no different and its not even thread worthy to even present such a thing. The only reason why "ex-Muslims" do this because at some point they were affected someway either living in an extremist society denoting the behaviors of extremist with said religion, or they were just unhappy., Either way, what is the point?

I'm an ex baptist Christian but does that mean I'll make a thread of how bad Christianity is? No. I had some disagreements with its theology and I left but it doesn't mean I'm going to make a thread on how bad it is, it just isn't for me. But those who make these types of threads have axes to grind.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm curious... what is it based on? and do they tend to become secular? or other world views?
To the best of my understanding it is based on the realization that the fear of repression is considerably lessened in these climates.
Frankly, the lack of proper religiosity in Islaam is an even stronger factor. Many Muslims seem to sincerely mistake fear-of-god with piety.

That goes a long way towards explaining why most ex-Muslims seem to indeed acquire a secularist perspective. They learn Islaam and mistake it with a form of religion, because they have been told night and day that it is, in fact, the one true religion.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The problem with highlighting ex-Muslims is that most ex-Muslims come from war torn countries or come from places where there is heavy extremist views. Irshad Manji is a heavy influence, and unfortunately many ex-Muslims paint this picture that Islam is inherently wrong based on their own experience, linking it with scripture. Unfortunately, Muslims drunk with power have been the cornerstone and the face of Islam, and like any religion its members are seen as the face of the religion.
I wonder if you realize how many times you make statements that are firmly at odds with the actual evidence and logic itself on this short piece of text.

Of course Muslim countries have a tendency to be war-torn and to nurture extremist views. That is Islaam we are talking about.

Of course Islaam is linked with scripture (out of its own insistence and design). And of course people will talk of their own experiences. They are supposed to.

As for a lust for power being perceived as the face of Islaam... Again, what else would you expect? The Qur'an is what it is.

If we want to be technical Christianity as practiced in contemporary times have been the most poisonous of all faiths, but we would not see that in the media due to the influence of Christian economical influence.
So you claim that Islaam is less poisonous than Christianity? How so?

People leave and exchange religious faiths all the time this is nothing new in the world. Islam is no different and its not even thread worthy to even present such a thing.

I beg to differ. Islaam is quite the contrast to true religious faiths. Not least because it relies so much on fear and repression to artificially suppress questioning that might lead people to leave its ranks.

The only reason why "ex-Muslims" do this because at some point they were affected someway either living in an extremist society denoting the behaviors of extremist with said religion, or they were just unhappy., Either way, what is the point?
Don't you see that the correlation with Islaam is hardly coincidental?

I'm an ex baptist Christian but does that mean I'll make a thread of how bad Christianity is? No. I had some disagreements with its theology and I left but it doesn't mean I'm going to make a thread on how bad it is, it just isn't for me. But those who make these types of threads have axes to grind.

Or, far more likely, Islaam has significant issues that Baptist Christianity lacks.

Sometimes an ideology actually receives criticism because it has earned it. It does happen.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
@Luis Dantes

I do not wish to go back and forth with you regarding this matter....There is no intellectual value discussing Islam with you, no offense but I grow annoyed discussing religion with close minded individuals. That is not to say we ought to agree but if you have no ear to listen to someone who is more knowledgeable than you on religious matters in this case Islam, then there is no point.

Sakeenah

There are people that leave Islam in the US, but there are also quite a few that embrace Islam in the US.
Studies estimated approximately 30,000 convert to Islam annually in the United States.
Like @Epic Beard Man said people leave and exchange religious faiths all the time this is nothing new in the world,and Islam is no different.