• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The negative side of dressing different in a non Muslim country

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When I do not work, or want to use comfortable clothing i have the typical "Muslim way of clothing" to wear.

But since Taliban took back Afghanistan this has become a problem for me even in Norway... People think I am a convert to Taliban and even police have stopped me in the street.

Honestly, I do not mind police asking me these kind of questions, I know they only doing their job protecting Norway :)

So for the time being i will dress in european clothing :)

No need to scare people, islam has bad enough reputation here already.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am not sure what the is typical Muslim clothing. If people are stopping you because of a veil that is excessive. If one is wearing a head to foot burqa that does call attention to oneself. I would not even call that Muslim clothing, it is clothing of one sect of Islam that is rather controlling over their female members. It backfires as modest clothing in the west since it draws attention to the person wearing it. That is the opposite of modesty.

Aah, I should have clicked on the avatar first. Even a turban or other traditional clothing should not draw too much attention. But if one wears traditional desert clothing in a non-desert environment one is again being the opposite of modest.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am not sure what the is typical Muslim clothing. If people are stopping you because of a veil that is excessive. If one is wearing a head to foot burqa that does call attention to oneself. I would not even call that Muslim clothing, it is clothing of one sect of Islam that is rather controlling over their female members. It backfires as modest clothing in the west since it draws attention to the person wearing it. That is the opposite of modesty.

Aah, I should have clicked on the avatar first. Even a turban or other traditional clothing should not draw too much attention. But if one wears traditional desert clothing in a non-desert environment one is again being the opposite of modest.
Similar to this

upload_2021-10-1_12-28-11.png

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
When I do not work, or want to use comfortable clothing i have the typical "Muslim way of clothing" to wear.

But since Taliban took back Afghanistan this has become a problem for me even in Norway... People think I am a convert to Taliban and even police have stopped me in the street.

Honestly, I do not mind police asking me these kind of questions, I know they only doing their job protecting Norway :)

So for the time being i will dress in european clothing :)

No need to scare people, islam has bad enough reputation here already.

This, my friend, is a beautiful example of human selflessness in full manifestation; of the likes that I encounter seldom enough to at times forget that it still exists.

Thank you, dear Conscious thoughts, for sharing it.

Humbly
Hermit

exchemist

Veteran Member
I appreciate your sensitivity to the people around you.

However my understanding of Islam - and my experience of travelling in, and living in, predominantly muslim countries - is that there is no such thing as muslim dress. All there is is an injunction to dress modestly.

The picture you have provided is what I have seen worn in Pakistan and neighbouring countries, but it is nothing like the way people dress in the Gulf, or in the Levant, or in Turkey, or in Indonesia. All these areas have their own styles of dress, even though all are muslim. In the Levant, for instance (Jordan, Lebanon) muslims typically dress in what one might call "western" clothing, though quite often with an Arab keffiyeh (or ghutrah) - practical to deal with heat and dust in summer and to keep warm in winter. The women too generally wear western clothing but often with a headscarf.

I think there is a lot to be said for trying to fit in. Unless you want to make a particular point of being seen as different, of course, like Orthodox Jews.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I appreciate your sensitivity to the people around you.

However my understanding of Islam - and my experience of travelling in, and living in, predominantly muslim countries - is that there is no such thing as muslim dress. All there is is an injunction to dress modestly.

The picture you have provided is what I have seen worn in Pakistan and neighbouring countries, but it is nothing like the way people dress in the Gulf, or in the Levant, or in Turkey, or in Indonesia. All these areas have their own styles of dress, even though all are muslim. In the Levant, for instance (Jordan, Lebanon) muslims typically dress in what one might call "western" clothing, though quite often with an Arab keffiyeh (or ghutrah) - practical to deal with heat and dust in summer and to keep warm in winter. The women too generally wear western clothing but often with a headscarf.

I think there is a lot to be said for trying to fit in. Unless you want to make a particular point of being seen as different, of course, like Orthodox Jews.
As a sufi I would like to dress rhe way i feel comfortable with, but it created tension in unwanted attention to me.

Arabic clothing is variations of styles :)

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
The beauty of this post, I feel, is that the author knows them-self well enough to feel that they can afford to give up something valuable to them, in order to grant others some sort of sense of “peace of mind” that in truth, is unwarranted.

Despite the judgement and lack of empathy shown to them by others, for sake of those same others, they submit. And, they do so not bitterly, but humbly - in full knowledge and trust that this takes nothing away from their true inner value.

Their actions will likely go unnoticed and unthanked; that too is okay. For the author has no calling to rebel and assert their rights - perhaps that calling falls on to others.

Still, I would like to acknowledge that you have been seen and that the worth of your efforts are felt spiritually.

Humbly
Hermit

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It is not too outrageous and should not draw excessive attention.

You would think that the authorities would realize that the last thing a terrorist wants to do is to draw attention to himself ahead of time. That should calm them, not upset them.
I do agree :) but I noticed the question from them are a bit deeper than other times :)

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
If religion is about spiritual matters, I can't for the life of me see what clothes have to do with it. The idea that God wants you to wear special costumes, veils, tassles, funny hats and turbans, and so on (various religions) seems pretty far-fetched to me.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If religion is about spiritual matters, I can't for the life of me see what clothes have to do with it. The idea that God wants you to wear special costumes, veils, tassles, funny hats and turbans, and so on (various religions) seems pretty far-fetched to me.

Far be it from me to defend religious practice, since I obviously don't subscribe to it.
However, most 'clubs' have ways of signalling membership to other members.

That applies culturally, but also within most subcultures I can think of.

I don't see why religion should be an exception to common human behaviours in terms of that.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
For me, those kind of clothes are more comfortable than western form of clothes. It also has a bit to do with tradition within the religious practice. But you are free to choose what for of clothing you feel comfortable in :)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I tend to agree, although I tend to wear t-shirt and jeans most of the time.

But most people seem to wear "costumes" in one form or another. The typical western suit-and-tie is, essentially, a costume.

PureX

Veteran Member
Seems like ideological ostentation, to me. Like you want everyone to know what you believe and don't believe. Otherwise, I can think of no reason not to dress in accordance with your culture.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Seems like ideological ostentation, to me. Like you want everyone to know what you believe and don't believe. Otherwise, I can think of no reason not to dress in accordance with your culture.
First of all, it is because those Arabic closes are more comfortable to me, and I do not have a cultural attachment to European culture or other cultures.
I would say, becoming a Sufi has become my identity, so maybe this is one reason I feel more comfortable within those aspects of life in general than in Norwegian culture that I never felt comfortable with anyway

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
First of all, it is because those Arabic closes are more comfortable to me, and I do not have a cultural attachment to European culture or other cultures.
I would say, becoming a Sufi has become my identity, so maybe this is one reason I feel more comfortable within those aspects of life in general than in Norwegian culture that I never felt comfortable with anyway
I dislike suits.
Last time I attended a formal wedding, I wore a Hawaiian shirt.
When we defy convention, we accept the consequences.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I tend to agree, although I tend to wear t-shirt and jeans most of the time.

But most people seem to wear "costumes" in one form or another. The typical western suit-and-tie is, essentially, a costume.

Covid has reduced the number of people wearing suits and ties in the UK to the point that many major retailers are no longer stocking them.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Covid has reduced the number of people wearing suits and ties in the UK to the point that many major retailers are no longer stocking them.

I'd like to see suits and ties fall by the wayside someday. We're still dressing like we did back in the 1950s.

friday-flashback-man-in-the-gray-flannel-suit.jpg

We did manage to lose the hats eventually.

In the future, we may all be wearing something like this:

BioSuith-1.jpg

Practical, yet stylish.