• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Need for Religious Literacy

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Where scientific literacy is poor in my country, religious literacy is even worse. Naturally, as while the sciences are permitted to be covered in public schools, the challenges of teaching religious literacy cause many to abandon the notion entirely.

"According to the IDEALS survey of college students on 122 U.S. campuses, conducted by researchers at North Carolina State University, Ohio State University and the nonprofit Interfaith America, just 32% of students said they had developed the skills “to interact with people of diverse beliefs.” Although almost three-quarters of students spent time learning about people of different races, ethnicities or countries, less than half of them reported learning about various religions. Most students received “C” grades or below on the survey’s religious literacy quiz."​
The lack of religious literacy creates an atmosphere of intolerance and ignorance about theology and religion, and given the role of religion in cultures worldwide we are in desperate need of proper religious literacy education. But how do we go about doing this? Is it possible to provide impartial education about religions in a way that does help foster tolerance and understanding? Are the benefits of teaching religious literacy worth the risks of proselytizing occurring in our public schools? What is your experience dealing with religious illiteracy and ignorance?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Where scientific literacy is poor in my country, religious literacy is even worse. Naturally, as while the sciences are permitted to be covered in public schools, the challenges of teaching religious literacy cause many to abandon the notion entirely.

"According to the IDEALS survey of college students on 122 U.S. campuses, conducted by researchers at North Carolina State University, Ohio State University and the nonprofit Interfaith America, just 32% of students said they had developed the skills “to interact with people of diverse beliefs.” Although almost three-quarters of students spent time learning about people of different races, ethnicities or countries, less than half of them reported learning about various religions. Most students received “C” grades or below on the survey’s religious literacy quiz."​
The lack of religious literacy creates an atmosphere of intolerance and ignorance about theology and religion, and given the role of religion in cultures worldwide we are in desperate need of proper religious literacy education. But how do we go about doing this? Is it possible to provide impartial education about religions in a way that does help foster tolerance and understanding? Are the benefits of teaching religious literacy worth the risks of proselytizing occurring in our public schools? What is your experience dealing with religious illiteracy and ignorance?
I think the best way would be to have speakers from each faith... positive exposure goes a long way.

When my oldest son was doing virtual, we were both disappointed with his single course on world religions. Islam and Christianity got the most attention, though 3/4 of the focus on Islam was about women wearing hijabs(such a tiny part of the religion). At one point, it was asked he write something about 'modern religion', specifically stating Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. As a Pagan with Hindu parents, he took offense and let it be known. He received a zero on the automated scorer.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The majority of people I interact with both here and in real life are ignorant to any world religion aside from the one they encountered growing up or that they've experiences from those they've interacted with in real life. The only people I've encountered that are truly literate of world religions are those that have studied theology either privately or through formal education.

I've discussed this problem at length in different threads here by demonstrating that many that are dismissive of religion or religious people in general default to their personal experiences with one religion and are generally ignorant of what other religions teach.

rocala

In my first two years at secondary school, there was a compulsory "Religious Education" class. In reality it was just Sunday school classes for older children and was fairly meaningless to all pupils.

My Mother used to subscribe to an educational magazine which once did a feature on Buddhism. I was fascinated by this and a lifelong interest was born. Around the same time, I recall my Grandfather telling me about Spiritualism, with which he had a strong interest. Again this was something which I later explored.

Like the two examples above, until I took an active interest as an adult, all of my understanding of religion came from chance encounters. It owed nothing to formal education.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't see it as that big of an issue. Religion is a private thing, and while we should respect others we don't have to learn much at all about anothers religion to do that. Such as, I can't exactly tell you why Muslims can't eat pork but that's not necessary to know it would be rude to offer a dish cooked with it to a Muslim. And, of course because secular people have dietary restrictions it's best just to ask ahead if time regardless and by default.
It would be far better, in my opinion, to increase awareness of invisible disabilities and correcting false ideas about autism that permeate society.
Hiw would increasing religious literacy actually improve society in a way that general good ethics can't do?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
In a 2007 RF post I wrote ...

My wife and I once had the wonderful opportunity to have dinner with the Rev. Antje Jackelén and her husband Heinz. This was just prior to her returning to Europe to be consecrated Bishop of Lund, Sweden. She's one of those marvelous theists with a rich understanding of and respect for science. We talked about a number of things, but I was perhaps most impressed with her as a strong advocate for religious literacy as both a source of wisdom and the most effective anecdote to dogmatism and intolerance.​
I was very conscious of the importance of not imposing atheism on my children, but I wish I had done more to encourage religious literacy along the way. Luckily, they turned out just great in spite of this oversight ... :)

As you can see, the Reverend made a lasting impression.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't see it as that big of an issue.
It would be far better, in my opinion, to increase awareness of invisible disabilities
I don't see either/or. Both are important. Given how many say they follow a religion without knowing what the religion teaches, how the core teachings compare to other religions and the fear and hatred of those of other religions, it would be very helpful if people were more literate.

And of course disabilities especially invisible ones impact so many people. I've read enough "I had NO idea" stories to know the impact that can have.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the best way would be to have speakers from each faith... positive exposure goes a long way.

When my oldest son was doing virtual, we were both disappointed with his single course on world religions. Islam and Christianity got the most attention, though 3/4 of the focus on Islam was about women wearing hijabs(such a tiny part of the religion). At one point, it was asked he write something about 'modern religion', specifically stating Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. As a Pagan with Hindu parents, he took offense and let it be known. He received a zero on the automated scorer.
What a bummer. It makes the very small unit I had on world religions in high school look not so bad - we spent the same amount of days on each of the "major" religions though there was still a notable absence of anything covering indigenous religion. Air time, so to speak, is certainly a concern if religious literacy is to be introduced into a curriculum. Does an instructor give more air time to the religions that dominate in their culture, or provide more air time to other traditions to promote broader literacy? American education in general is slanted towards American and Western concerns, so it wouldn't be surprising for Abrahamic, monotheist religions to get almost all the coverage while others get a footnote.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The majority of people I interact with both here and in real life are ignorant to any world religion aside from the one they encountered growing up or that they've experiences from those they've interacted with in real life. The only people I've encountered that are truly literate of world religions are those that have studied theology either privately or through formal education.

I've discussed this problem at length in different threads here by demonstrating that many that are dismissive of religion or religious people in general default to their personal experiences with one religion and are generally ignorant of what other religions teach.
That used to be me, and I recognize that it is very much a product of lack of religious literacy in public education combined with a sort of cultural hegemony that a limited subset of religions and theologies enjoy in my country. You do have to go out of your way to learn about the subject, which most folks just will not do for one reason or another. I'm not necessarily the best at it myself - limited time and energy mean I focus mostly on my own practices - but I like to think I've learned enough to be aware of how much I do not know and to just listen when others talk about their traditions. It is an ongoing process.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
When I was at high school we did an hour of Religious Education each week

We learnt about different religions and compared them

Did me a world of good

We only ever did Christianity and Islam though

So it could have been better but it was better than nothing

I always answered assignments from an atheist perspective as I was an atheist then

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
When my oldest son was doing virtual, we were both disappointed with his single course on world religions. Islam and Christianity got the most attention, though 3/4 of the focus on Islam was about women wearing hijabs(such a tiny part of the religion). At one point, it was asked he write something about 'modern religion', specifically stating Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
When I was at high school we did an hour of Religious Education each week

We learnt about different religions and compared them

Did me a world of good

We only ever did Christianity and Islam though
Two glaring examples, one from the US and one from the UK, of why Westerners are for the most part ignorant of world religion. Practically all religions save Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are ignored in Western education.

Thank you two for sharing these stories.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't see it as that big of an issue. Religion is a private thing, and while we should respect others we don't have to learn much at all about anothers religion to do that.
Can you expand on how you view religion as a private affair?

I ask because this is just not my experience at all. Just as an example, when an employee requests vacation for their religious holiday, religious literacy significantly helps in those requests being honored. That is, it isn't just some arbitrary request but tied to someone's deeply important ways of life. Having been (and not been) in workplaces that aim to respect and honor each other's cultural/religious diversity, it makes a huge difference when one's colleagues acknowledge each other in these deep ways. It feels more like family. It feels safe and you can really be yourself.

CharmingOwl

I think they should at least show people that Christianity is not the default belief system for all of humanity or the country. The amount of people who hear about other faiths and respond with "That's not real" is so high. Even basic instruction on religious diversity would help a lot especially when extremist and nationalist propaganda is so entrenched within the American educational system.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
given the role of religion in cultures worldwide we are in desperate need of proper religious literacy education.

I completely agree. As we all know, the world has become smaller, and so much of the human population is Muslim, Hindu, and Buddhist. The way of life of a Muslim or Hindu, for instance, is quite different from that of most Westerners. How they see life, the world, and everything; what calendars they follow; and what they eat and don’t eat are some things that may seem very strange to most Westerners. A Westerner who knows quite a bit about these religions would be able to interact more smoothly with Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and Sikhs.

Is it possible to provide impartial education about religions in a way that does help foster tolerance and understanding?

It is possible but there will probably always be biased and bigoted educators in classrooms.

Are the benefits of teaching religious literacy worth the risks of proselytizing occurring in our public schools?

I think they are and that lessons can be done professionally.

What is your experience dealing with religious illiteracy and ignorance?

Most of my co-workers know almost nothing about my religion and way of life: Hinduism. The Korean head teacher of one of the two academies where I work once asked me something like, ‘Are Hinduism and Buddhism the same?’ When I answered no, she looked a little surprised. (From what I heard in a video by a representative of an ISKCON temple near Seoul, Koreans typically assume that Hinduism is just Buddhism.) Other than that, when I went out for pizza one night with two other foreign teachers, they asked me questions about Hinduism and got to hear my answers. Most of what they learned from me was informative because they had not learned much about Hinduism beforehand. (Unfortunately, many of the ideas and concepts were confusing to them.)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Can you expand on how you view religion as a private affair?
As in not something to impose upon others, such as prosyletizing and expecting others to follow the policies of your religion. As the old adage goes, religion and politics are twi things not discussed in polite company or around the dinner table.

Just as an example, when an employee requests vacation for their religious holiday, religious literacy significantly helps in those requests being honored
How is religious literacy necessary for that? They say they have a religious holiday, to be fair you must let all or none have those days, thus meaning you don't have to have religious literacy.
I
That is, it isn't just some arbitrary request but tied to someone's deeply important ways of life. Having been (and not been) in workplaces that aim to respect and honor each other's cultural/religious diversity, it makes a huge difference when one's colleagues acknowledge each other in these deep ways
I fail to see how religious literacy is necessary for that. All you have to do is not be a jerk and engage in pro-social behaviors.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Religious subjects are really just not all that interesting. I think a lot of people have more ways to spend their time productively then dealing with mythology and philosophy and whatnot. It might make a good side hobby for those interested , but a fair share of people are practical now and less prone to other people's flights of fantasy and imagination that they themselves will never employ in their lives.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"According to the IDEALS survey of college students on 122 U.S. campuses, conducted by researchers at North Carolina State University, Ohio State University and the nonprofit Interfaith America, just 32% of students said they had developed the skills “to interact with people of diverse beliefs.”
interest in religion awakens late and not at the student age. they have so many things of interest. i did not much thought of religion though i had a sanskrit scholar as grandpa. teaching religion also will create an atmosphere of intolerance of the type my religion is better than yours. how many of us can be unbiased? what are they going to teach in christian, muslim or hindu majority countries (just two in case of hinduism, both secular)?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Religious subjects are really just not all that interesting. I think a lot of people have more ways to spend their time productively then dealing with mythology and philosophy and whatnot. It might make a good side hobby for those interested , but a fair share of people are practical now and less prone to other people's flights of fantasy and imagination that they themselves will never employ in their lives.
I'm a bit confused by this. If religion, to you, merely involves so-called "flights of fantasy and imagination," is "not all that interesting," and also an impractical waste of time... for what purpose do you engage in theological and religious discussion and use these very forums? Or maybe you were speaking not from your own perspective here, but those of ... some folks are just not curious or interested in the world around them just in general. Which also is something I find deeply confusing just on principle. :coldsweat:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

I suspect the experience is not unique to the USA and certainly reflected in New Zealand. After 51 Muslims were killed in 4 1/2 years ago there was a lot of discussion about developing religious tolerance and incorporating teaching about different religions in schools. Then the pandemic came along and scientific literacy took centre stage. The conversation concerning religious literacy has taken a back seat. These days we're concerned about the economy and cost of living. It would be great to hear more discourse about religious diversity but its not mainstream here for now.

Last edited:

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
but a fair share of people are practical now and less prone to other people's flights of fantasy and imagination that they themselves will never employ in their lives.

Religion is much more than metaphysics and myth. A religion is a way of life with metaphysics and myth. As a way of life, it has a calendar, customs, ethics, taboos, values, etc. These are things that Westerners think of as culture, and that is because Westerners assume that religions are just creeds and confessions.