• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Need for Religious Literacy

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't see either/or. Both are important. Given how many say they follow a religion without knowing what the religion teaches, how the core teachings compare to other religions and the fear and hatred of those of other religions, it would be very helpful if people were more literate.

And of course disabilities especially invisible ones impact so many people. I've read enough "I had NO idea" stories to know the impact that can have.
That's another point where I don't see why religious literaracy would make a difference over being conscious that different people have different stuff going on. Even educated having no idea will still happen. Amd when it comes to religion it can get very complicated once we add in different denominational.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I don't disrespect or respect anyone on the basis of religion. Although I would love to hear about other religions that are not mainstream and not fundamentalism. I get sick if I have to discuss Christianity and Islam. Fundamentalism is something I have absolutely no interest in other than getting it out of my life.

How many religions should people know about in order to become religiously literate? What are these other religions? My attitude is that there might be many religions that would be fascinating to know about. How many of these religions are represented on RF?

I'm interested in the metaphysical aspects of religion, and their moral, and ethical stances.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Religion is much more than metaphysics and myth. A religion is a way of life with metaphysics and myth. As a way of life, it has a calendar, customs, ethics, taboos, values, etc. These are things that Westerners think of as culture, and that is because Westerners assume that religions are just creeds and confessions.
That's true. There's no doubt there's culture and tradition associated with religion.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
How many religions should people know about in order to become religiously literate? What are these other religions? My attitude is that there might be many religions that would be fascinating to know about. How many of these religions are represented on RF?
I'd be tempted to cover it from the standpoint "here is what religion is generally for and what it is about - now let's look at how world religions and cultures have today and historically addressed these things." Focusing on the existential questions that emerge from being human and living in the world and then giving an account of how diverse traditions resolve it would be a more effective way of showcasing diversity with compare/contrast of like versus like. One unit could focus on the idea of the soul - what it is, whether it's relevant in particular cultures/religions, why the concept emerged, and if so, what it means in terms of practice of life and living. Another could focus on relations with fellow humans - how various religious offer guidance on the forms these relationships should take, what it means to live a life of virtue, the relative importance of family versus elders versus children. And so on.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Where scientific literacy is poor in my country, religious literacy is even worse. Naturally, as while the sciences are permitted to be covered in public schools, the challenges of teaching religious literacy cause many to abandon the notion entirely.

"According to the IDEALS survey of college students on 122 U.S. campuses, conducted by researchers at North Carolina State University, Ohio State University and the nonprofit Interfaith America, just 32% of students said they had developed the skills “to interact with people of diverse beliefs.” Although almost three-quarters of students spent time learning about people of different races, ethnicities or countries, less than half of them reported learning about various religions. Most students received “C” grades or below on the survey’s religious literacy quiz."​
The lack of religious literacy creates an atmosphere of intolerance and ignorance about theology and religion, and given the role of religion in cultures worldwide we are in desperate need of proper religious literacy education. But how do we go about doing this? Is it possible to provide impartial education about religions in a way that does help foster tolerance and understanding? Are the benefits of teaching religious literacy worth the risks of proselytizing occurring in our public schools? What is your experience dealing with religious illiteracy and ignorance?
I support a well rounded education. Reading and math are essential for survival, but honestly knowing things like science and history teach skills like critical thinking that help us have a better life. I even think that art and music are necessary parts of a good education.

Being literate in the major world religions is part of being a good neighbor to those we share this planet with. It is a necessary part of any social science curriculum.

It is a shame that the public schools in my country are utterly failing. It's too complicated to go into the myriad of causes, but let just say that half the students in my area are not even up to grade level in math and reading, so obviously they are going to stink at social studies and science. We are raising a generation of ignorant people, and we will pay for it as a society.