• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Need For Christian Symbolism on Government Property

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Maybe because I was confronted with it first.
I mentioned it to someone else, in reference to a completely different point.

Seriously I don't understand why it should bother you, sense it has nothing to do with you.
Because you twisted something I said into some strange claim that only white people had anything to do with slave-owning. Nobody made any such point. In fact, the point was about something else entirely.

Faithofchristian

I mentioned it to someone else, in reference to a completely different point.

Because you twisted something I said into some strange claim that only white people had anything to do with slave-owning. Nobody made any such point. In fact, the point was about something else entirely.

Thats what I said it was entirely about something else. Why do keep going on about this. When it has nothing to do with what your trying to say it is

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Thats what I said it was entirely about something else. Why do keep going on about this. When it has nothing to do with what your trying to say it is
I had said this to David Firth:

"Well, that's your opinion. Slavery was okay back then too. And women couldn't vote. Just because you're good with that, doesn't mean other people don't want to progress and make things better for everyone.

The First Amendment was ratified on December 15, 1791. Did you miss history class?

To which you replied to ME:
"Have you any idea who was the first to have black slaves in this country.

The first to have black slaves in this country, Was a black man name Anthony Johnson back in 1662-70.
Way before any whites owned black slaves in this country."

Pages later, I'm still wondering what that has to do with my point or anything I've said.

EDIT: Due to a Quote error.

Last edited:

Faithofchristian

I had said this to David Firth:

"Well, that's your opinion. Slavery was okay back then too. And women couldn't vote. Just because you're good with that, doesn't mean other people don't want to progress and make things better for everyone.

The First Amendment was ratified on December 15, 1791. Did you miss history class?

Have you any idea who was the first to have black slaves in this country."

To which you replied to ME:

"The first to have black slaves in this country, Was a black man name Anthony Johnson back in 1662-70.
Way before any whites owned black slaves in this country."

Pages later, I'm still wondering what that has to do with my point or anything I've said.

What does that have to do with what's being talk about now.
Why do you keep going on something that's history now.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Your Right, But Whites shouldn't be blame for it all either.
Especially when a black man was the first to have blacks as slaves in this Country.
No one alive today should be blamed for slavery. But, that being said, it is an absolute fact that white people were the vast, vast majority of slave owners in the U.S. And, they committed treason in an attempt to keep slavery viable here.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Ok, if wasn't Illegal, then why did Obama try and hide it out?
It was the prime minister of Israel who brought it to the Attention to the American people.
Why did it take the Prime Minister of Israel to bring it out and not Obama himself or anyone else in the DNC.
I'm not sure he did. There is no indication in the article you cited that it Obama tried to hide these grants.

And, your cited article specifically states that the grants from the Obama Admin. were not illegal:
"Mr. Netanyahu survived the election, and the U.S. spending was not deemed illegal because the State Department never put any conditions on the money. Investigators also said OneVoice didn’t turn explicitly political until days after the grant period ended."

Faithofchristian

No one alive today should be blamed for slavery. But, that being said, it is an absolute fact that white people were the vast, vast majority of slave owners in the U.S. And, they committed treason in an attempt to keep slavery viable here.

Your right, now back during the Civil war of 1863, the democrates fought to keep blacks in Slavery and at this time the KKK joined in with the democrates to fight to keep blacks in Slavery and spread slavery into all the other States.
Then in 1923 the KKK joined the DNC.
And a Democrate senator was retireing, and Hillary Clinton was taken in a picture in 2010, with him who was at one time the grand wizard of the KKK.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Your right, now back during the Civil war of 1863, the democrates fought to keep blacks in Slavery and at this time the KKK joined in with the democrates to fight to keep blacks in Slavery and spread slavery into all the other States.
And a Democrate senator was retireing, and Hillary Clinton was taken in a picture in 2010, with him who was at one time the grand wizard of the KKK.
I suggest you do a bit of research (see link below), as what you are getting at here is grossly misinformed.

The "Dixicrats" were the Democrats of the south, descended from the Jim Crowe era and slave owners. They were responsible for much of segregation, racism, the KKK, etc. They were also the descendents of the confederacy and they were, for a long time, Democrats.

BUT, in 1964, with the passage of the Civil Rights Act, fought for by LBJ, those "Dixicrats" moved to the Republican party, where they still reside today.

So, the racist Democrats you speak of moved to the Republican party during the 1960s because their racism made them so opposed to the Civil Rights Act. Now we see them in the White Nationalist movement and the Alt-Right, who both consider themselves Republicans and Conservatives.

From Southern Democrats - Wikipedia

"The passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was a significant event in converting the Deep South to the Republican Party; in that year most SenatorialRepublicans supported the Act (most of the opposition came from Southern Democrats), but the Republican Party nominated for the Presidency Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater, who had opposed it. From the end of the Civil War to 1960 Democrats had solid control over the southern states in presidential elections, hence the term “Solid South” to describe the states’ Democratic preference. After the passage of this Act, however, their willingness to support Republicans on a presidential level increased demonstrably. Goldwater won many of the “Solid South” states over Democratic candidate Lyndon Johnson, himself a Texan, and with many this Republican support continued and seeped down the ballot to congressional, state, and ultimately local levels. A further significant item of legislation was the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which targeted for preclearance by the U.S. Department of Justice any election-law change in areas where African-American voting participation was lower than the norm (most but not all of these areas were in the South); the effect of the Voting Rights Act on southern elections was profound, including the by-product that some White Southerners perceived it as meddling while Black voters universally appreciated it. The trend toward acceptance of Republican identification among Southern White voters was bolstered in the next two elections by Richard Nixon."

leibowde84

Veteran Member
This is actually a clear example of dishonesty from Conservatives. They constantly claim that Democrats are the party of slavery, yet the democratic caucus that applies to switched to the Republican party in the mid-1960s. They conveniently leave that out.

A Vestigial Mote

Why are you Embarrassed, There's no reason to be Embarrassed, other than feeling guilty about something.

So what is your true Motive behind you being Embarrassed?

Everyone has something, But does not tell what is their true Motive behind it.
Embarassment is the correct response.

It is proselytization for one - which is an insult to intelligence. Proselytization is, literally, someone informing you that you aren't smart enough or responsible enough to come to your own conclusions.

Secondly, as others have stated, it isn't at all inclusive of the diversity of people and beliefs that exist within the population of the U.S. Remember the old "freedom of religion" that the country professes to uphold? If you're allowed to put up your garbage, then everyone else who doesn't believe as you do should be able to do the same.

Lastly, it displays a level of naivete, in my opinion. Displaying an abject adherence or favoritism to one particular worldview when you proclaim that you accept and embrace all comers (as it should rightly be) is hypocrisy.

Faithofchristian

In another post the following questions were asked.

1. Did you know there is a bible in the cornerstone of the Washington monument?
2. That there is scripture in the capitol building?
3. Statue of Moses on the supreme court building?
4. That both the House and Senate chambers prominently display "In God we trust" in their chambers?
5. The ten commandments can be found on over a half dozen public buildings in Washington?
6. Scripture at the Lincoln memorial?
7. 2 Huge bible's are on display at the library of congress?​

(I didn't bother to check any of them, but assume they're true.)

Besides the above mentioned items, "In god we trust" also appears on all our currency.

At Christmas we have a U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree

Nativity scenes are frequently erected on public property

The Ten Commandments are allowed on some government properties

While it might surprise some RF members, I'm not concerned with the legality of any of these, although I do question it. What I'm more interested in is the "why." Why do the religious, the vast majority being Christians, need these symbols of their faith on secular pieces of property? Would they forget they trust in their god if the words didn't appear on our quarters, nickles, and dimes? Is it not enough that their church has a nativity scene during Christmas? Are there not enough Christmas trees standing around town and on private property that one needs to be erected on the Capitol lawn? And what purpose does the display of the Ten Commandments serve "on over a half dozen public buildings in Washington?"

I know Christians believe these displays of their faith are quite appropriate, but what is this incredible need for them?

Why is it necessary to include the words "In God We Trust" on all our currency?

Why is it necessary that representations of Christmas be erected on public property?

Why is it necessary that images from the Old Testament appear on our government buildings?

And if they're not necessary then why do we allow them? Aren't churches and the homes of their parishioners adequate?

And PLEASE, no This is a Christian nation or America was founded on Christian principles therefore . . . . . If these are your best replies then save yourself the effort and don't bother posting.

I guess you for got to mention the Statue of Liberty. What is the Statue of Liberty a symbol of?
The United States is the only Country in the world that says those that seek Liberty from oppression, give us your poor, and those who seek the pursuit of happiness.
We will give you Liberty.

Where do you suppose this all comes from?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I guess you for got to mention the Statue of Liberty. What is the Statue of Liberty a symbol of?
The United States is the only Country in the world that says those that seek Liberty from oppression, give us your poor, and those who seek the pursuit of happiness.

The Statue of Liberty is a symbol of liberty.

lib·er·ty
ˈlibərdē/
noun
  1. the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views.
What's your point?

Sanzbir

1. Did you know there is a bible in the cornerstone of the Washington monument?

So this is one of the two things that doesn't really fit with the others.

The Washington monument was built with money raised from private citizens, to honor a Freemason, and was thus built in Masnoic tradition with the whole bible-cornerstone thing.

It is now government-owned, but wasn't originally, so this whole thing is a non-issue. It's just a monument built by private citizens with Masonic traditions to further honor the Mason the memorial honors. There's nothing wrong with private citizens wishing to do such a thing.

7. 2 Huge bible's are on display at the library of congress?

And here is the second thing that doesn't really fit with the others.

It's a library. Of course they have books. They also have the Quran. Secularism doesn't mean we have to remove any book that mentions religious topics from public society.

Complaining "OMG a library has the BIBLE!!" is a ridiculous complaint.

2. That there is scripture in the capitol building?
3. Statue of Moses on the supreme court building?
4. That both the House and Senate chambers prominently display "In God we trust" in their chambers?
5. The ten commandments can be found on over a half dozen public buildings in Washington?
6. Scripture at the Lincoln memorial?

As a non-Christian, I don't really care.

They were built at a time when Christianity was everywhere and their inclusion is mostly symbolic of other things rather than a promotion of any one religion.

Don't forget there are capital buildings with images depicting the Greek Gods as well. The artists who made that did not mean to promote Hellenism!! :p

Basically you get Moses and the Commandments and stuff because the original persons building it lived in an age where Christianity was so prevalent that when they thought about different things symbolic of "Laws" through their understanding of history, Moses came to mind since he presented a Rule of Law to the Hebrew people, from their own Christian-centric understanding of history.

When it comes to Moses and the Commandments, they weren't seeking to promote their religion so much as they were seeking to adorn their buildings with symbolism of Law and Order, which from their Christian perspective, they saw Moses as an incarnation of.

Now the nation has changed and there's a whole lot of more non-Christians so I don't think it would be appropriate to adorn a public building in such a way now, but I'm not so much of a frothing Iconoclast that I would demand these things be removed from these buildings, even if my own Faith considers it inappropriate to depict Moses at all. The buildings are what they are, and were built in a Christian-centric society. Defacing the old art in the name of modern sensibilities seems disgusting to me.

Besides the above mentioned items, "In god we trust" also appears on all our currency.

Yeah, it's been on the currency since we even had fiat currency.

You ask why, and the answer is interesting (at least to a history nerd like me).

It was about framing. The Government started printing money during the Civil War, and it was an attempt to show the people that God Himself sided with the Union, and that the Confederates were thus blasphemous heathens for opposing the Will of God.

It's purpose was to install a religious fervor in the war effort. :p Which is something I strictly oppose for numerous reasons. We should probably stop designing our currency in such a way but people get locked in traditions and don't really care about the reasons why we did things in the past, they just keep doing it. The Civil War is long over, so the purpose of the mantra on the money is pretty much defunct.

At Christmas we have a U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree

Christmas is awesome and even as a non-Christian I think this is an excellent thing. Christmas trees are awesome. If you disagree you lack Christmas Spirit and are a no-good humbugger. And they were originally a pagan tradition anyways, so it's not like it's a strictly religious thing.

Hell, extremely atheistic and secular Japan has adopted Christmas celebrations and the trappings of trees. And there are non-Christians like myself who love Christmas. The trees are cool, and are used by many non-Christians and were originally used by pagans. Leave the trees alone.

Nativity scenes are frequently erected on public property

Yeah that's dumb and tax moneys should not go towards it. More inter-religious decoration things like the trees are one thing, specific religious icons are a wholly different issue.

The Ten Commandments are allowed on some government properties

Basically that one boils down, in older times, to Christian-centric cultures using them as a symbolism of the "history of law" through their own Christian-centric perspective. That's why they put them on buildings that had to do with law and order. No one puts Moses on, say, the Department of Energy buildings.

I don't advocate removing old ones that were built that way, but new ones should not be created, especially since nowadays the ones people propose to build have a specific goal of promoting a religion.

leibowde84

Veteran Member

It certainly doesn't come from the Bible. That's for sure.

Skwim

Veteran Member

"The Statue of Liberty (Liberty Enlightening the World; French: La Liberté éclairant le monde) is a colossal neoclassical sculpture on Liberty Island in New York Harbor in New York City, in the United States. The copper statue, a gift from the people of France to the people of the United States, was designed by French sculptor Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi and built by Gustave Eiffel. The statue was dedicated on October 28, 1886.

The Statue of Liberty is a figure of a robed woman representing Libertas, a Roman goddess. She holds a torch above her head with her right hand, and in her left hand carries a tabula ansata inscribed in Roman numerals with "JULY IV MDCCLXXVI" (July 4, 1776), the date of the U.S. Declaration of Independence. A broken chain lies at her feet. The statue became an icon of freedom and of the United States, and was a welcoming sight to immigrants arriving from abroad.

According to the National Park Service, the idea for the Statue of Liberty was first proposed by Édouard René de Laboulaye the president of the French Anti-Slavery Society and a prominent and important political thinker of his time. The project is traced to a mid-1865 conversation between de Laboulaye, a staunch abolitionist and Frédéric Bartholdi, a sculptor. In after-dinner conversation at his home near Versailles, Laboulaye, an ardent supporter of the Union in the American Civil War, is supposed to have said: "If a monument should rise in the United States, as a memorial to their independence, I should think it only natural if it were built by united effort—a common work of both our nations."
Source:Wikipedia​

So what is the point you're trying to make, that liberty is a Christian concept?

Last edited: