• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The myths of Genesis

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
According to some non-Bible believing Christians, this is a partial list in the first 20 chapters of Genesis that do not mean what it would seem when reading the verses. It is all metaphors, idioms, symbolism etc. and is not to be taken literally. Nothing but a story fabricated by man and God had nothing to do with it.

The Creation – a metaphor.

The Creation of Man and Woman – not true.

The Fall of Man – no such thing.

Cain and Abel – just a myth.

Descendants of Adam – made up.

The Corruption of Mankind – a fairy tale.

The Flood – what a joke.

Covenant of the Rainbow – never happened.

Descendants of Noah – a fairy tale.

Universal Language, Babel, Confusion – just a metaphor.

Abram Journeys to Egypt – never happened.

Abram and Lot – no such people.

War of the Kings – has nothing to do with scripture.

God’s Promise to Abram – did not happen.

Abram Promised a Son – a metaphor.

Abraham and the Covenant of Circumcision – no such thing.

Birth of Isaac Promised – a metaphor, never happened.

The Doom of Sodom – just a myth.

Abraham’s Treachery – did not happen.

I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.” (Revelation 22:18–19, NASB95) Think about it.
Problem is that it's called a book. I don't think Revelation in context of it's timeframe even had books to begin with.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Describing the sequence of events of the creation of the universe from, "in the beginning" rather than starting after the fact.

Here's the chronology of the universe from 10e-43 of a second after it began. That's trillions of times less time than the fastest clock tick of the fastest computer evert devised.

Chronology of the universe - Wikipedia

Prior to that its all guesswork and faith

shmogie

Well stated. A substantial amount of scripture can be corroborated with historical records, archaeology, and scripture itself. Talk about the hundreds of prophecies that have been fulfilled exactly as they were prophesied hundreds of years in advance and they are ignored. Or, you get the old, scriptures were written by men after the fact and cannot be proven, to which I say hogwash.
Correct. Atheists preach and proselytize as much as any preacher. They say they aren't a religion because they believe in nothing, but that nothingness sure turns into something when they are pontificating about their faith. Most know very little about the Bible, Biblical archaeology, or history in relation to the Bible. They know virtually nothing about the prophecy you are speaking of, and for all their talk of "open minds" they refuse to look. I once took one of these ignorant through Daniels prophecy re the statue first proving beyond doubt it was before the event, and was exactly right in every detail. His response, "just a coincidence" When I offered to give him more, he broke off. That is the religion challenging Christianity.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In my opinion, it is only ambiguous because folks want it to be and refuse to expend the effort to study it with an open mind accepting what is actually written rather than what they want to be written. Do that and there is a small percentage that is ambiguous.

In my opinion, it's the other way around. The skeptic has the open mind, and the believer has closed his mind to the possibility that the book has as many internal contradictions, failed prophecies, unkept promises, moral and intellectual errors ascribed to a god, and errors of science and history as it does.

The believer has already decided that such things cannot be there, and so, while looking through a faith based confirmation bias that filters the evidence admits only that which seems to support that which is believed by faith, his mind is closed to the possibility that he is in error however much evidence there is that he is.

Anyone experienced with an apologist trying to reconcile these defects is familiar with this process. Whatever parts he wants to go away are made to go away with claims of translation error, metaphor, cultural relativism, arbitrary and unsupported claims (biblical slavery was indentured servitude), "you took it out of context," "that no longer applies," etc.

That's closed-mindedness, not open-mindedness. Look at how you dismissed away most biblical ambiguity with a wave of the hand. Why would anybody want the Bible to be ambiguous? How could you know how much effort any unbeliever has expended trying to make sense of it.

Incidentally, open-mindedness doesn't include accepting what you read. It only requires an impartial consideration of what has been read and a willingness to be convinced by a compelling argument. There is no duty to believe uncritically.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Three verses out of perhaps a couple dozen that corroborates that claim. If you wish to refute what I have written, I will be happy to give you that opportunity and I will answer every question that you ask me, IF, you will agree to do the same.
Regarding this topic of making claims? Certainly. However questions outside the scope of this discussion would be pointless.
For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.” (Romans 15:4, NASB95)

Is there anything in there about only believing the verses that you want to be true?

Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.”” (Exodus 34:27, NASB95)

Specific instructions to Moses to write down the words given to him by God, which includes Genesis 1.

So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.” (Isaiah 55:11, NASB95)

It does not say everyone will accept it but for those who do, it succeeds in the matter for which it was sent.

Already you have strayed outside the book of genesis to find a claim about the book of genesis.

But even so, you have not found a later claim that forces a claim in Genesis. Furthermore, you have not articulated a claim that would require a literal reading of the book of Genesis, which is what I anticipate you are trying to achieve.

Ted Evans

Premium Member
So if men are deciding what books to even include as part of the Bible,

This really gets old but of course, it is nothing more than excuses. Forget about "books" go to the the original copies of MSS and tell me what is in the "books" that are not in those MSS, can you do that?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Ah, PROVEN by evidence. Much evidence proves nothing.

Your opinion is noted and duly filed under "wow, just wow"

Evidence : the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Correct. Atheists preach and proselytize as much as any preacher. They say they aren't a religion because they believe in nothing, but that nothingness sure turns into something when they are pontificating about their faith. Most know very little about the Bible, Biblical archaeology, or history in relation to the Bible. They know virtually nothing about the prophecy you are speaking of, and for all their talk of "open minds" they refuse to look. I once took one of these ignorant through Daniels prophecy re the statue first proving beyond doubt it was before the event, and was exactly right in every detail. His response, "just a coincidence" When I offered to give him more, he broke off. That is the religion challenging Christianity.
Sounds like you have been hurt by other atheists. It is unfortunate. Not all atheists claim to believe in nothing.

shmogie

Your opinion is noted and duly filed under "wow, just wow"

Evidence : the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.
Who determines what the evidence PROVES, you or me ?

shmogie

Sounds like you have been hurt by other atheists. It is unfortunate. Not all atheists claim to believe in nothing.
NO, not at all. I was once a raging atheist, and I am sad to say I displayed all the arrogance and sense of superiority some show here. Your last sentence is intriguing. a / theist non theist. So, what do some atheists believe in ?

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
All one really needs to do is read Mesopotamian (particularly Babylonian) mythology and Canaanite mythology.

Curious George

Veteran Member
NO, not at all. I was once a raging atheist, and I am sad to say I displayed all the arrogance and sense of superiority some show here. Your last sentence is intriguing. a / theist non theist. So, what do some atheists believe in ?
The concept that no god exists.