• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The myths of Genesis

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
According to some non-Bible believing Christians, this is a partial list in the first 20 chapters of Genesis that do not mean what it would seem when reading the verses. It is all metaphors, idioms, symbolism etc. and is not to be taken literally. Nothing but a story fabricated by man and God had nothing to do with it.

The Creation – a metaphor.

The Creation of Man and Woman – not true.

The Fall of Man – no such thing.

Cain and Abel – just a myth.

Descendants of Adam – made up.

The Corruption of Mankind – a fairy tale.

The Flood – what a joke.

Covenant of the Rainbow – never happened.

Descendants of Noah – a fairy tale.

Universal Language, Babel, Confusion – just a metaphor.

Abram Journeys to Egypt – never happened.

Abram and Lot – no such people.

War of the Kings – has nothing to do with scripture.

God’s Promise to Abram – did not happen.

Abram Promised a Son – a metaphor.

Abraham and the Covenant of Circumcision – no such thing.

Birth of Isaac Promised – a metaphor, never happened.

The Doom of Sodom – just a myth.

Abraham’s Treachery – did not happen.

I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.” (Revelation 22:18–19, NASB95) Think about it.

Credit where it's due; I'd say genesis has proved to be a remarkably accurate summary of the orgins of the universe and life, but it's not meant to be a scientific cheat sheet- the details are for us to explore and learn about- what better way to appreciate creation?

So we are given the free will to believe or not, to be wrong, without which finding truth has no meaning.

Curious George

Veteran Member
There it is then, "no God exists", therefore you believer re theism, nothing.
No. The concept that no god exists is definitely something. I am not claiming as some atheists do, that I lack belief. I fully acknowledge my belief that no god exists.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
A great man once said, " what is truth ? "

He knew very little, truth is well defined

Truth : the quality or state of being true in accordance with fact or reality

accuracy, correctness, rightness, validity, factualness,
factualty, authenticity

ChristineM

Premium Member
NO, not at all. I was once a raging atheist, and I am sad to say I displayed all the arrogance and sense of superiority some show here. Your last sentence is intriguing. a / theist non theist. So, what do some atheists believe in ?

Atheism : disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Other than that all bets are off.

Ted Evans

Premium Member
Credit where it's due; I'd say genesis has proved to be a remarkably accurate summary of the orgins of the universe and life, but it's not meant to be a scientific cheat sheet- the details are for us to explore and learn about- what better way to appreciate creation?

So we are given the free will to believe or not, to be wrong, without which finding truth has no meaning.

Absolutely agree. God said He created the universe, let science explain the details.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
In my opinion, it's the other way around. The skeptic has the open mind, and the believer has closed his mind to the possibility that the book has as many internal contradictions, failed prophecies, unkept promises, moral and intellectual errors ascribed to a god, and errors of science and history as it does.

Skeptic:
  1. a person inclined to question or doubt all accepted opinions.
    synonyms: cynic · doubter · pessimist · prophet of doom

2. an ancient or modern philosopher who denies the possibility of knowledge, or even rational belief, in some sphere.

It would appear that you can be a skeptic with a closed mind as much as a believer can be the same. It this case, it would appear that you aren't open minded to believing that a believer can have an open mind. :D

ChristineM

Premium Member
Would you include the BB theory in that, only accepting what can be proven?

The bb theory(s) are theories. That's why they are called theories.

The reason for the (s) is there are 28 bb theories that i know of, there may be more.

Ted Evans

Premium Member
Problem is that it's called a book. I don't think Revelation in context of it's timeframe even had books to begin with.

I agree, there were no "books" until perhaps the second or third century if I recall correctly. Therefore, the verse would seem to apply to all Judeo-Christian writings concerning prophecy, not limited to Revelation.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
NO, not at all. I was once a raging atheist, and I am sad to say I displayed all the arrogance and sense of superiority some show here. Your last sentence is intriguing. a / theist non theist. So, what do some atheists believe in ?

Ditto, and as recovering atheists, we are both very familiar with what atheist beliefs are, we are just able to recognize those beliefs as such now, as opposed to unquestionable truths

Any assumption of default truth, inevitably = assumption of inherent intellectual superiority over people with different beliefs, i.e. it's not really their fault!

Curious George

Veteran Member
Ditto, and as recovering atheists, we are both very familiar with what atheist beliefs are, we are just able to recognize those beliefs as such now, as opposed to unquestionable truths
yet as an atheist I recognize how beliefs differ from other people claiming to be atheists. This seems a contradictory experience to yours. How can we reconcile our contradictory experiences?

The Creation of Man and Woman – not true.
I believe the creation story wasn’t accurate. It seems much more likely to me there were possibly 120 (appx) man and woman pairs each with their own language and land (country) probably all about the same size. I think the serpent was a representation of the authors misconception. One, snakes have 200-400 ribs and two after the serpent caused them to eat it was cursed to crawl on its belly which means it was taller before and possibly had legs and arms which represented people of different nationalities. I do think the fact that each person has 24 (12 sets) may somehow coincide with how many races there are or were. If 240 people were created at once then that would be 10 races or 240 people (24 ribs). But most peoples would probably agree with that theory because no one probably saw anyone for a very long time. Basically I’ve proven to myself that man is completely physical without a soul then the creation of man required the brain and heart to function without a soul. And I think planets and suns had to be formed with wind and fire and elements. But I basically know Jesus never rose from the dead and possibly no one in the Bible ever lived but was all symbolic. For the Bible to have been written by a ‘chosen child of god’ it probably would have to have been written by the first ‘child of God’ to ever exist. And the rib taken out of the woman probably represented the misconception that God is physical and we are made in his likeness. I think the correct way to interpret that would be man was made in his likeness, meaning made in a way that only God could do, in his greatness and awesomeness some might say, which I wouldn’t because I’ve blasphemed God and now am cursed to attempt to be my own God.

shmogie

He knew very little, truth is well defined

Truth : the quality or state of being true in accordance with fact or reality

accuracy, correctness, rightness, validity, factualness,
factualty, authenticity
The man was Jesus Christ, and his question was specifically for you. Tell me of the facts about abiogenesis within the framework of the described and verified reality of the time, being right, authentic and true in what you say.

Deidre

Interesting. What do you believe outside your own experience that you know is true ? If you accept, say, that an unknown sea creature left the ocean, and walked out onto land, that in 1066 William conquered Britain, how do you determine they are true ? You weren't there, these stories have been conveyed by men/women, you believe them based upon faith in what you were told. He has total faith in the records he has examined, that is the ONLY thing he CAN have. They are all true, he and I believe they are. We weren't there, our belief is based upon faith in what the records show.
True, but I'm not being asked to worship those things/people, based on faith, like Christians are asking (expecting) non-believers to do.