• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Most Crucial Flaws Of Christianity And Atheism

Skwim

Veteran Member
Most crucial flaw in Christianity? The fundamentalists who reject the theism of other faiths.
I assume by "theism of other faiths." you mean the beliefs of other faiths. If so, why would fundamentalists, or any believer, accept the beliefs of another faith?

Most crucial flaw in Atheism? Its fundamental position of rejecting theism.
But wouldn't this then render atheism null and void? The idea is that neither position's identity be nullified by its flaw.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Christianity generalizes all people as sinful, and it has the mentality that non believers are enemies. Crucial errors!

Atheism is overrun by the language of science as truth. Science to me is precisely manipulative of reality, and very poor as an explanation of reality. Everything is poor at explaining reality though.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I assume by "theism of other faiths." you mean the beliefs of other faiths. If so, why would fundamentalists, or any believer, accept the beliefs of another faith?

No. Theism concerns the existence of God or gods. The word belief is too broad. Some but not all Christians will say I don’t believe in the god of your faith, only the ‘Christian’ God. The my God, your god is based on misunderstandings of both NT scripture and the sacred writings of other religions.

But wouldn't this then render atheism null and void? The idea is that neither position's identity be nullified by its flaw.

Of course. Both Christianity and atheism have worthwhile perspectives.

Bob the Unbeliever

I have to agree with Brickjectivity "Christianity: Practically perfect in every way." Except for the sins we commit.

Atheists, just don't give God any credit; because if there was no God they would not exist.

If there were no god? Theists would not exist either... wait....

See how your "logic" is flawed? No? Well... you tried...

Atheists can all be proven wrong in one easy step: Produce one (1) god.

That's it! Can you do it? No?

Hmmmmmmmm..................

Bob the Unbeliever

Christians and atheists, what do you see as the most crucial flaw in each other's position?
And don't be shy about it, but

:rose:BE
NICE:rose:
tb08QvV-_400x400.jpg

Principle flaw in christianity? Is the command to convert the entire world, as outlined in their principle book(s). Without that? They'd not be nearly as obnoxious...

... of course, they'd not be nearly as ubiquitous either... oh well. I expect there are few religions that are widespread, that do not command proselytizing... I can think of a few, but these are exceptions. Not ironically? The few that do? Seldom insist on Laws that Everyone Must Follow, based on their belief statements...

Principle flaw in atheism? That it's not really anything. As stated by Revoltingest, it's a null set, empty. You really can't build much from a null set (unless you are a math whizz). Nothing to go on, really.

Oddly enough, many folk to try to build something from nothing, and they don't seem to realize where they failed: they have inserted a something, in one or more of the steps along the way, and created a Something. Secular Humanism, for example, is definitely a Something. But it's not based on atheism, per say. It simply has 'atheism' as one of it's principle characteristics. It's more based on Empathy, and the assumption that Life Has Worth than anything else.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Christians and atheists, what do you see as the most crucial flaw in each other's position?
The crucial flaw in belief in any god or gods is the absence of any coherent concept of what a real god, a god with objective existence, a god that exists outside of the individual's imagination, could be. Accordingly there's no definition of 'god' or 'God' such that if we found a candidate, we could tell whether or not it were a god, or God.

In parallel, neither is there any coherent concept of how the supernatural could be real when the basic meaning of the word is 'outside of nature', that is, outside of reality, not real, hence existing only in imagination.

This gives rise to the nearest thing to a flaw in atheism that I can think of. I don't think it's meaningful to call myself an atheist if I don't know what the real thing is that I don't think exists. Simply to think an undefined imaginary thing is imaginary strikes me as a trivial notion.

For illustration by contrast, the concept of a real unicorn is clear. If we found a candidate, we could determine whether it were a real unicorn or not: is it equine, and does it naturally grow a straight horn from the centerline of its forehead? (Some might get fussy and also require it to be white, and to be tame only in the presence of human females who are virgins. Either way, there's a test for its reality.) So to be an aunicornist is to have a coherent view of what you're thinking is not real. Atheists, it seems to me, are not in that position.

rstrats

Christianity requires a belief in a supreme being. However, beliefs can't be consciously chosen.

Atheism requires a lack of belief in the existence of supreme beings. However, a lack of belief can't be consciously chosen.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Christianity requires a belief in a supreme being. However, beliefs can't be consciously chosen.

Atheism requires a lack of belief in the existence of supreme beings. However, a lack of belief can't be consciously chosen.
In your view, can a believer, once having become consciously aware that [he] holds a particular belief, reconsider, hence perhaps modify or abandon, that belief?

Flaw in atheism is they think something came from nothing and that something turned into everything by chance.

Christians tend to get stuck on dogma, iregardless if its true or not, they tend to not use logic. Some may try, but fail.

1robin

Christian/Baptist

tb08QvV-_400x400.jpg

1. What is wrong with Atheism - It is the death of any meaningful hope and it leaves much of the universe unexplainable.
2. What is wrong with Christianity - Christians.

Skwim

Veteran Member
1. What is wrong with Atheism - It is the death of any meaningful hope and it leaves much of the universe unexplainable.
Yeah, psychologically it isn't at all attractive, and can even be quite distasteful. In fact, a lot people can't bear to think of such a thing and flee to the refuge and comfort of religion. To each his own.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The most crucial flaw of both is the literalism. Neither knows how to deal with a good metaphor. :)

rstrats

blu 2,
re: "In your view, can a believer, once having become consciously aware that [he] holds a particular belief, reconsider, hence perhaps modify or abandon, that belief?"

Reconsider, yes; modify or abandon, no - at least not with a conscious, hands on, purposeful change to the belief. I have never been able to consciously CHOOSE to believe things, and also no one that I have asked to demonstrate such an ability yet done so. However, beliefs do change, so I would guess that any change may very likely come about by some process occurring in one's subconscious due to an exposure to stimuli, such as literature, lectures, media, conversation, reflection, experience, etc.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Yeah, psychologically it isn't at all attractive, and can even be quite distasteful. In fact, a lot people can't bear to think of such a thing and flee to the refuge and comfort of religion. To each his own.

For those of us that ever entertain atheism during their life, most of them I know have a different story. They at some young point in their lives (usually in college) are brainwashed into adopting Atheism because they don't yet have the philosophical and theological knowledge required to challenge their lefty professors. However when they spend years really thinking about it later in life they completely loose all confidence in it. It is usually only later in life after they get some real life experience under their belt that the religion they heard about as children starts to look mighty concrete and comprehensive.
G.K. Chesterton and Anthony flew would be two of this type of person.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Modern day Christianity and Atheism share the same crucial flaw, neither one is very Christ-like.

" I like your Christ, I don't like you Christians." - Mahatmah Ghandi

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
blu 2,
Reconsider, yes; modify or abandon, no - at least not with a conscious, hands on, purposeful change to the belief. I have never been able to consciously CHOOSE to believe things, and also no one that I have asked to demonstrate such an ability yet done so. However, beliefs do change, so I would guess that any change may very likely come about by some process occurring in one's subconscious due to an exposure to stimuli, such as literature, lectures, media, conversation, reflection, experience, etc.
Thanks.

godnotgod

Thou art That
From a Hindu POV....

A Christian is God, pretending he is someone else.
and an atheist is God, pretending he doesn't exist
.:p

Skwim

Veteran Member

Why not?

Cooky

Veteran Member

Most crucial flaw in Christianity is the cockiness that comes along with the notion of 'being saved'. But That's not all of them. Typically just many of the 30-somethings, and the stubborn.