• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mizzou Fad Continues

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
A student group calling themselves "Amherst Uprising" are attempting to capitalize upon the actions of the Mizzou protesters. They have issued a list of demands to the school president claiming that if they are not met by November 18th than they will respond "in a radical manner, through civil disobedience". They claim these demands are due to a "negative social climate created towards our peers of color and other marginalized groups". Yet they give no real substantiating evidence to support their claims other than two posters, one lamenting the death of free speech, and the other saying "All Lives Matter". Their reasoning seems to be summed up as "racist things exist in the world, our school is part of the world, thus the president of the school must apologize for the racism of the world".

Amherst Uprising said:
1. President Martin must issue a statement of apology to students, alumni and former students, faculty, administration and staff who have been victims of several injustices including but not limited to our institutional legacy of white supremacy, colonialism, anti-black racism, anti-Latinx racism, anti-Native American racism, anti-Native/ indigenous racism, anti-Asian racism, anti-Middle Eastern racism, heterosexism, cis-sexism, xenophobia, anti-Semitism, ableism, mental health stigma, and classism. Also include that marginalized communities and their allies should feel safe at Amherst College.

2. We demand Cullen Murphy, Class of 74, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, to issue a statement of apology to students, alumni and former students, faculty, administration, and staff who have been victims of several injustices including but not limited to our institutional legacy of white supremacy, colonialism, anti-black racism, anti-Latinx racism, anti-Native American racism, anti-Native/ indigenous racism, anti-Asian racism, anti-Middle Eastern racism, heterosexism, cis-sexism, xenophobia, anti-Semitism, ableism, mental health stigma, and classism

In addition to using just about every social justice buzzword in existence, they also take a trick out of the Mizzou protesters play book and demand that those they disagree with be silenced and punished:

Amherst Uprising said:
5. President Martin must issue a statement to the Amherst College community at large that states we do not tolerate the actions of student(s) who posted the ''All Lives Matter'' posters, and the ''Free Speech'' posters that stated that ''in memoriam of the true victim of the Missouri Protests: Free Speech.'' Also let the student body know that it was racially insensitive to the students of color on our college campus and beyond who are victim to racial harassment and death threats; alert them that Student Affairs may require them to go through the Disciplinary Process if a formal complaint is filed, and that they will be required to attend extensive training for racial and cultural competency.

Digging around on the internet led me to a FB post by the individuals who put up the "All Lives Matter" posters (which appear to be Pro-Life related). They wanted a chance to respond to the accusations that Amherst Uprising has accused them of.

Dear Amherst student body,

Our initial anonymity was due to our lack of association with any particular group on campus. As merely two individuals, we did not have an official group name to list on the posters. But given the recent backlash we have received, we are glad our names were withheld. No Amherst student should be subjected to such unfair assumptions and accusations for merely sharing her opinion on an issue about which she feels passionate.

Over the past week, we have been accused of many things, such as defacing posters and making hateful comments on Facebook. Emails from President Martin and the Black Studies Department ensued, condemning “our” actions—but we never did any of what was attributed to us. While remaining anonymous has undoubtedly saved us from further and more direct verbal abuse, it has also prevented us from responding to the false allegations made against us. Therefore, it is our fault that one side has been able to singlehandedly dictate what happened, but we hope this email will help clear the air.

“The disrespect toward this campaign expressed in tearing down, defacing, or covering of posters sends a terrible message to our community.”
--Excerpt from the Black Studies Department’s email

Not only is this false (we did NOT take any posters down), we also paid close attention when putting up our posters so that no Black Lives Matter posters were covered. Our intention was to add to the discussion, not to detract from it. Defacing their posters would have not only been wrong: it would have undermined the discussion we had hoped to expand. Posters for Black Lives Matter Awareness Week were hung throughout campus, both in designated and undesignated areas. While it is possible that individuals other than us removed some posters in bad faith, it is more probable that our campus’s janitorial workers removed them— considering the locations from which they were removed—not because of their content, but because of their unapproved location. Lastly, it is important to note that every one of our “All Lives Matter” posters was torn down, both from designated and undesignated spaces. Surely, that was not the doing of merely the janitorial staff.

“Facebook posts that followed apparently included dismissive comments about the ‘Black Lives Matter’ series and the people who organized it.”
--Excerpt from President Martin’s email

We did not post any comments on social media pertaining to this event. Had we posted any dismissive comments (which we would never do), they would have surely been shared amongst students, and their existence would have been rapidly made known—not to mention that such posts would have revealed our identities. Contrary to President Martin’s email, these were some of the Facebook comments that we saw:

• “**** the group that put up pro-life ‘All Lives Matter’ signs.”
• “Sometimes at Amherst, you might feel like you’re the dumbest or even most ignorant person on campus. Then you see ‘All Lives Matter’ posters up.”
• “These cowards…really hope we find out who did it.”

In her same email, President Martin urged “a concerted, respectful, and educational campus conversation about these issues,” but surely these Facebook comments were not meant to encourage productive dialogue. If we are ever going to achieve that level of conversation, hateful comments (such as those listed above) and trumped-up allegations cannot take place: they only serve to stifle it. We hope that those responsible for making such hateful statements and false assumptions will, at the very least, reconsider the manner in which they responded. You may not know who we are, but we know who you are: after all, Facebook is not anonymous.

“SIT DOWN AND WAIT YOUR TURN. This is our week.”
--Excerpt from a Facebook status of a member of the student group, Black Lives Matter

We hung up our posters on the night of Monday the 20th because that was when we believed Black Lives Matter Awareness Week ended. We saw the first posters and sidewalk chalk messages promoting Black Lives Matter Awareness Week on Monday the 13th, which we interpreted as the awareness week’s beginning. Furthermore, of all the various awareness weeks that take place on campus, this was the first and only to begin and end on a Wednesday as opposed to a Monday. Nevertheless, had we known that it ended on Wednesday, we would have waited another two days—not out of obligation, but out of respect for the initiative and activism that our peers had demonstrated. After all, we had already waited until we thought the week was over.

Regardless of any confusion concerning the end date, we do not apologize for exercising our equal right to free speech. It was not their week alone. The Amherst College Student Handbook explicitly states, “Every student enjoys the right to full participation in the academic and social life of the college, regardless of…political affiliation and belief.” We are passionate in our belief that all lives matter and had equal standing to distribute our posters as any member of the Black Lives Matter group. Our intention was to cause conversation, not controversy; we had hoped that the “All Lives Matter” posters would continue to drive the conversation about the value and dignity of all human life, including the most vulnerable. We should never have been subjected to such hateful comments and false allegations for promoting a cause we believe in.

Thus, it is not by preference that we remain anonymous. We hope that one day we can feel safe enough to voice our opinions openly and acknowledge responsibility for our activism in a non-anonymous way.

Sincerely,

The Organizers of “All Lives Matter”

Is it not ironic that in their righteous zeal, those claiming to fight against inequality and intolerance end up demanding that the civil rights of those they disagree with be violated. And with their preaching of "safe spaces" they create an environment that breeds fear for those who might disagree, forcing them into anonymity.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I like your choice of the word 'fad'. I say they have to protest peacefully (their right) or go to jail. And I have the right to ignore their protests. But I'm afraid our media will love to jump up and down all over this and actually raise racial tension levels. Some great result:rolleyes:.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's fascinating to look at what issues evoke a strong response from students.
I recall some problems inciting protest.....
- We could be forcibly sent off to kill & die in one of those useless wars.
- The school would legally discriminate based upon race & gender.

Now they protest things as minor as inartfully expressed support.
It seems there will always be strong fervor about something, be it major or minor.
I suppose this is a sign of progress, eh.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
First off, I acknowledge that the boundaries between free speech and hate speech can be muddy.

That said, I don't think these students have the nuance to discuss these boundaries, instead it seems they tend to be promoting the dangerous idea that they have the right not to be offended.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
First off, I acknowledge that the boundaries between free speech and hate speech can be muddy.

That said, I don't think these students have the nuance to discuss these boundaries, instead it seems they tend to be promoting the dangerous idea that they have the right not to be offended.
I'll wager that we might be seeing an unrealistic picture painted by the media.
They highlight the loudest & most newsworthy activists.
It's always been thus.
When I was in school, my fellows bombed the local FBI office, & burned the ROTC Building.
We were all somewhat tarred with this extremism, but most of us were quite peaceful.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I'll wager that we might be seeing an unrealistic picture painted by the media.
They highlight the loudest & most newsworthy activists.
It's always been thus.
When I was in school, my fellows bombed the local FBI office, & burned the ROTC Building.
We were all somewhat tarred with this extremism, but most of us were quite peaceful.

If we ran across an SDS or Weatherman type in the day we would beat the daylights out of them with our peace beads simply for harshing our buzz.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Is it not ironic that in their righteous zeal, those claiming to fight against inequality and intolerance end up demanding that the civil rights of those they disagree with be violated.
It is soooo over the top I can hope that there is an element of "Poe"ish prank involved.
But I am not going to bet on that.
Tom

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
It is soooo over the top I can hope that there is an element of "Poe"ish prank involved.
But I am not going to bet on that.
Tom
When I first read their "demands" I also thought it was a Poe. But sadly I believe it is real.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
If someone truly believes that their stance, opinion, or ideology is sound, solid, and worthwhile, then they should invite critique and scrutiny with confidence rather than attempt to prevent it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Is it not ironic that in their righteous zeal, those claiming to fight against inequality and intolerance end up demanding that the civil rights of those they disagree with be violated. And with their preaching of "safe spaces" they create an environment that breeds fear for those who might disagree, forcing them into anonymity.

Very ironic, indeed. With such blatant hypocrisy and their hostility towards those supporting free speech and those opposing violence against anyone regardless of race, you can't help but question their integrity and be dismissive toward their movement, which is a shame since they had valid points. It's just unfortunate that they chose to bury them under some special snowflake entitlement nonsense. They end up alienating many who would otherwise support their cause.

LittlePinky82

Even im starting to not be sure what to think anymore about these movements or whatever is appropriate to call them. Some things just seem too unrealistic. We should try to make a better world but this just is starting to be damned if you do and damned if you don't. I think it's good for students to stand up and be apart of their school in the making of their communities but I just don't see how some of these demands can be met. Isn't that called a catch 22?

esmith

Veteran Member
The problem is when one is basically brainwashed into thinking one way they do not see arguments presented to them as a different point of view but as a direct attack on them. One could almost, well more than almost, equate their actions as a Pavlovian response.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The problem is when one is basically brainwashed into thinking one way they do not see arguments presented to them as a different point of view but as a direct attack on them. One could almost, well more than almost, equate their actions as a Pavlovian response.
Aside from brainwashing, the students are young.
The world is simpler for them, & so are solutions.
As you well know, experience teaches that stuff is more complicated than we first thought.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Amherst Uprising has released an update. It seems they want to clarify the demands they made. It appears they may have started realizing that you can't simply demand the rights of those you disagree with be stripped.

On Friday, six students met with President Martin. As intended, a conversation began to address the sentiment of the demands in a more realistic way. After reflecting on the demands, students realized their goals would be best met by collaboration with administrators, faculty, and staff over an extended period of time, rather than through immediate action.

They also claim this:
As an important note, the movement, both at its inception and now, by no means intends to stifle free speech. Such allegations are misinformed and misguided.

They actually think demanding that students who raise criticisms of their movement be put through forced disciplinary actions and "training for racial and cultural competency" is not stifling free speech. Also note, their demands still remain unchanged on their website.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Amherst Uprising has released an update. It seems they want to clarify the demands they made. It appears they may have started realizing that you can't simply demand the rights of those you disagree with be stripped.
They also claim this:
They actually think demanding that students who raise criticisms of their movement be put through forced disciplinary actions and "training for racial and cultural competency" is not stifling free speech. Also note, their demands still remain unchanged on their website.
I like how "riots" are now called "uprisings" or "uprisings".
This started a couple decades ago, as I recall.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
From the "Get off my lawn!" dept.:

When I went to uni, we didn't think of it as a cocoon. We thought we were preparing to succeed in a difficult world. We're not doing these students any favors by giving their cocoon orientation even a whiff of credibility.

I'd also say that we oughtn't equate protesting to end a war with protesting to not be offended.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Breaking news in the SJW universe.....
http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2015/12/arrest_made_in_kean_twitter_threat.html
A recent Kean graduate has been charged with being responsible for a series of tweets threatening black students at the school two weeks ago, acting Union County Prosecutor Grace H. Park announced Tuesday.

Kayla-Simone McKelvey, 24, of Union – a black alum who graduated in May – was charged by summons with third-degree creating a false public alarm.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
There is no systemic white racism on any campus by the college or faculty, public or private, in the US. The opposite, and blacks in particular get favoritism to the discrmination of others and are the typical profile of those who act out aggresively against other students, the "racism" angle is all false narratives by black "activists" most of which are racists and particularly target Asian-Americans for doing well in school, here is another example of the lies and tricks of these "activists":

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2015/12/arrest_made_in_kean_twitter_threat.html

The entire story we all had to listen to about racist threats at Kean University were all fakes, perpetrated by the black activist who had gotten too much air time and who is a liar who created this b.s. herself, that Kayla-Simone McKelvey (I had to watch her crap on a local tv station) and "president of the Pan African Student Union". Hope she goes to prison with the thugs she cheers on.