• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Messiah. Has he come? When will he come? Was it Jesus?

truthofscripture

You are correct, the 4 Gospel accounts do not elaborate on Jesus role as a priest. In the Christian Greek Scriptures, Melchizedek is only mentioned in the book of Hebrews. (Heb 5:6,10; 6:20; 7:1,10,11,15,17) Jesus and his anointed followers are mentioned to be priests/future priests in more than Paul's letters though. (Re 5:10; 20:6)
Look at Genesis 14:18, 22

Domenic

Through the centuries, scribes meticulously copied these books. During the Middle Ages, a group of Jewish scribes known as the Masoretes carried on that tradition. The oldest complete Masoretic manuscript is the Leningrad Codex, which dates from 1008/1009 C.E. However, in the middle of the 20th century, some 220 Biblical manuscripts or fragments were discovered among the Dead Sea Scrolls. Those Biblical manuscripts were more than a thousand years older than the Leningrad Codex. A comparison of the Dead Sea Scrolls with the Leningrad Codex confirms a vital point: While the Dead Sea Scrolls contain some variations in wording, none of those variations affect the message itself. - A3 How the Bible Came to Us — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

*** w95 5/15 pp. 27-28 What Is the Masoretic Text? ***
Where the Masoretes felt that the text had been altered or copied incorrectly by previous generations of scribes, instead of changing the text, they made notes in the side margins. They noted unusual word forms and combinations and the frequency with which these appeared within an individual book or within the entire Hebrew Scriptures. Additional comments to help copyists in cross-checking were also noted. A system of abbreviated “codes” was developed to record this information with extreme brevity. In the top and bottom margins, a type of miniconcordance listed parts of related verses that were commented on in the notes in the side margins.
The most renowned system was perfected by the Masoretes in Tiberias, by the Sea of Galilee. The families of Ben Asher and Ben Naphtali of the ninth and tenth centuries C.E., possibly Karaites, became particularly prominent. (About the year 760 C.E., a Jewish group known as the Karaites called for stricter adherence to the Scriptures. Rejecting the authority of the rabbis, the “Oral Law,” and the Talmud, they had greater reason to guard the Bible text systematically. Certain families from this group became expert Masoretic copyists.) Although differences existed between the pronunciation methods and notes of these two schools, the consonants of their texts differ in fewer than ten places in the entire Hebrew Scriptures.

I am still awaiting your reveal @Domenic, at the end of your condensing your notes in the other thread on this matter.

While you are waiting for me to get my notes in order, you may want to check this out:
The Governing body of JW’s have made many prophesies about when the system would end…and they claim they got their information from God. They have made many such prophesies since 1877, and not one came true. It is a true statement, “Those who make prophesies that do not come true, are false prophets.” Perhaps you can tell me…why would God use false prophets to lead his people? or maybe God was wrong all those many times he told the Governing body when the end would come? I am a simple person with a simple mind, so maybe you can help me understand.

truthofscripture

While you are waiting for me to get my notes in order, you may want to check this out:
The Governing body of JW’s have made many prophesies about when the system would end…and they claim they got their information from God. They have made many such prophesies since 1877, and not one came true. It is a true statement, “Those who make prophesies that do not come true, are false prophets.” Perhaps you can tell me…why would God use false prophets to lead his people? or maybe God was wrong all those many times he told the Governing body when the end would come? I am a simple person with a simple mind, so maybe you can help me understand.
Dom;
They weren't prophecies, they were stating their current understanding, nothing more. JW's do not prophesy. They adhere strictly to scripture and continually search to ensure an accurate understanding. God did say that things are revealed at their proper time.

Domenic

Dom;
They weren't prophecies, they were stating their current understanding, nothing more. JW's do not prophesy. They adhere strictly to scripture and continually search to ensure an accurate understanding. God did say that things are revealed at their proper time.

That's not true. Remember the 1968 truth book? After 1975 they asked members to throw those away. The new truth book was changed.
How about Jesus return in 1914? No end, and nobody saw Jesus. 1925, 1930...on, and on. Don't forget, "Those who saw the beginning(1914) would see the last day."
It's been 115 years now...they don't talk about 1914 any more. Every time they say stuff that does not happen, their clean up is, "New light. The closer we get to the end, the more we understand....etc,etc,etc."

roger1440

I do stuff
You are correct, the 4 Gospel accounts do not elaborate on Jesus role as a priest. In the Christian Greek Scriptures, Melchizedek is only mentioned in the book of Hebrews. (Heb 5:6,10; 6:20; 7:1,10,11,15,17) Jesus and his anointed followers are mentioned to be priests/future priests in more than Paul's letters though. (Re 5:10; 20:6)
No one knows who wrote Hebrews, except the guy who wrote it, and he ain't telling.

truthofscripture

That's not true. Remember the 1968 truth book? After 1975 they asked members to throw those away. The new truth book was changed.
How about Jesus return in 1914? No end, and nobody saw Jesus. 1925, 1930...on, and on. Don't forget, "Those who saw the beginning(1914) would see the last day."
It's been 115 years now...they don't talk about 1914 any more. Every time they say stuff that does not happen, their clean up is, "New light. The closer we get to the end, the more we understand....etc,etc,etc."
1914 was 101 years ago, not 115. Jesus DID take his throne in 1914. Everything prophesied that would happen when he took his throne has happened. He will shortly fight Armageddon and take over rulership of Earth away from Satan and abyss him for 1000 years of judgement day. Explain which scripture you get "those who saw the beginning would see the last day" from.

truthofscripture

No one knows who wrote Hebrews, except the guy who wrote it, and he ain't telling.
Paul wrote Hebrews.
The internal evidence of the book is all in support of Paul’s writership. The writer was in Italy and was associated with Timothy. These facts fit Paul. (Heb. 13:23, 24) Furthermore, the doctrine is typical of Paul, though the arguments are presented from a Jewish viewpoint, designed to appeal to the strictly Hebrew congregation to which the letter was addressed. On this point Clarke’s Commentary, Volume 6, page 681, says concerning Hebrews: “That it was written to Jews, naturally such, the whole structure of the epistle proves. Had it been written to the Gentiles, not one in ten thousand of them could have comprehended the argument, because unacquainted with the Jewish system; the knowledge of which the writer of this epistle everywhere supposes.” This helps to account for the difference of style when compared with Paul’s other letters.

The discovery in about 1930 of the Chester Beatty Papyrus No. 2 (P46) has provided further evidence of Paul’s writership. Commenting on this papyrus codex, which was written only about a century and a half after Paul’s death, the eminent British textual critic Sir Frederic Kenyon said: “It is noticeable that Hebrews is placed immediately after Romans (an almost unprecedented position), which shows that at the early date when this manuscript was written no doubt was felt as to its Pauline authorship.” On this same question, McClintock and Strong’s Cyclopedia states pointedly: “There is no substantial evidence, external or internal, in favor of any claimant to the authorship of this epistle except Paul.”

Domenic

1914 was 101 years ago, not 115. Jesus DID take his throne in 1914. Everything prophesied that would happen when he took his throne has happened. He will shortly fight Armageddon and take over rulership of Earth away from Satan and abyss him for 1000 years of judgement day. Explain which scripture you get "those who saw the beginning would see the last day" from.

THE 1968 TRUTH BOOK. It also said, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GROW OLD AND DIE. many of those people got old, and died.
The bible say when Jesus returns, all people would see him...nobody has seen him, The Bible say he will come during, or after the tribulation. We are not in that yet.
I wasen't thinking when I said 115 years...only 101. What are the days of our life? 70, and 80 if of special mightiness...not 101.

Kolibri

Something very significant happened in 1914. The beginning of composite sign of Jesus' invisible presence has been very evident since then. Many were overeager and had false hopes that it would lead directly into Armageddon. Jesus' disciples were ever eager too, even after his resurrection. As regards those other dates you mention in your dissertation I am not all that well versed, but I do remember the "Truth" book. We were never instructed to "throw it away." We stopped using it because a new tool for topical bible study was released. Our libraries on CD go back to 1971. And we have physical copies of older stuff kept on shelves in a back room of our local KH. I would have many of the old books from the 1930s personally if I had not lost them due to a poor choice in trusting someone with keeping up payments on a storage unit.

If your issue is over the meaning of "this generation" or the aspect that some that were around when the Truth that Leads to Everlasting Life was copyrighted in regard to people who would not need to die of old age. Both of those issues are satisfactorily answerable.

I am not sure I want to comment on the Truth book until I see a quote though. Not having your objected against reference in front of me, I can not be sure to respond accurately. It might not say what you are remembering it to. I certainly know that those born in 1968 are still in their 40's. We are getting older, but we are generally not frail and dead yet. Still I can not address this technicality till I see the technical quote with the surrounding context.

Last edited:

truthofscripture

THE 1968 TRUTH BOOK. It also said, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GROW OLD AND DIE. many of those people got old, and died.
The bible say when Jesus returns, all people would see him...nobody has seen him, The Bible say he will come during, or after the tribulation. We are not in that yet.
I wasen't thinking when I said 115 years...only 101. What are the days of our life? 70, and 80 if of special mightiness...not 101.
Nowhere in the scriptures does it say that anyone would see Jesus upon his return. It says he will come as he left, and he left obscured by clouds, and was not seen by anyone after he rose toward the clouds. It also says that people will not grow old and die AFTER the end of judgement day. It says death sorrow and sickness will be eliminated. It doesn't say those things will be eliminated when Jesus returns. Technically he didn't return as you think, but he did ascend to his throne and is ruling the Kingdom now. He will destroy religion, governments, and those destroying the Earth at Armageddon. Don't presume to know how things will happen, because the scriptures only give a rough outline, not a lot of details. Those details that you presume to know, come from religions and false translations of the scriptures, not from the inspired word of God (an accurate translation, and King James isn't accurate).

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Last edited:

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
That's to come. But it is more imagery like someone calling another a turkey.

:) You are such a literalist.

That started about 2,000 years ago and it is still in process. Why, you want to come to? ;)
I like Metis' theory. It was a small dragon. And Jesus was obviously some manner of Shire-folk. And the battle was in a cave.

And then Jesus has to give the magic Ring that he took from the dragon he slew(slayed?) to his Cousin-Nephew who has to throw it into a Volcano and..

What? Don't look at me like that.

This story is better, damn it!

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I like Metis' theory. It was a small dragon. And Jesus was obviously some manner of Shire-folk. And the battle was in a cave.

And then Jesus has to give the magic Ring that he took from the dragon he slew(slayed?) to his Cousin-Nephew who has to throw it into a Volcano and..

LOL... you have been watching to many movies with the Hobbits running around.

truthofscripture

Taking reality and saying it's a story is, to say the least, not entertaining.

Domenic

Nowhere in the scriptures does it say that anyone would see Jesus upon his return. It says he will come as he left, and he left obscured by clouds, and was not seen by anyone after he rose toward the clouds. It also says that people will not grow old and die AFTER the end of judgement day. It says death sorrow and sickness will be eliminated. It doesn't say those things will be eliminated when Jesus returns. Technically he didn't return as you think, but he did ascend to his throne and is ruling the Kingdom now. He will destroy religion, governments, and those destroying the Earth at Armageddon. Don't presume to know how things will happen, because the scriptures only give a rough outline, not a lot of details. Those details that you presume to know, come from religions and false translations of the scriptures, not from the inspired word of God (an accurate translation, and King James isn't accurate).

Revelation 1:7

"Behold, He cometh with clouds, and every eye shall see Him."

truthofscripture

He will remain invisible; afterward manifesting or showing Himself in judgments and various forms, so that ‘every eye shall see Him.

You seem to forget that the vast majority of Revelation is in figures of speech. Metaphors, similes and the like.

This Jesus who was received up from you into the sky will come thus in the same manner as you have beheld him going into the sky.”—Acts 1:9-11.
He left obscured by clouds, unseen.

Last edited:

Kolibri

Revelation 1:7

"Behold, He cometh with clouds, and every eye shall see Him."

.We can not have meanings that counter other scriptures and still consider our understanding as accurate.

1 Timothy 6:16 also describes Jesus in his current state as a King as one "who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see."

Is there a way people can see Jesus w/o using physical eyes? yes. Eyes of understanding. Everyone will be forced to acknowledge that he is now acting as a King that will displace all other kings/governments.