1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Messiah. Has he come? When will he come? Was it Jesus?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Domenic, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Domenic

Domenic Active Member

Ratings:
    +30
    The Christians believe Jesus was the messiah, The Jews do not. Has the Messiah already come, or yet to come?

2. Nietzsche

Nietzsche The Last Prussian
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,910
    Religion:
    Heathen King
    I feel that a far superior, more meaningful question is do we need one at all?

• Like Like x 4
  3. Tarheeler

Tarheeler Argumentative Curmudgeon
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,124
    Religion:
    Jewish
    No, he hasn't. Yes, he will. No, it wasn't Jesus.

But y'all are free to have your own messiah, and he can whomever you want. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  4. KenS

KenS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,121
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    As you noted, it depends on who you talk to.

As a slight addition, Christians and Jews believe the Messiah will come.

5. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +12,246
    Religion:
    Catholic-- liberal & ecumenical
    Not all of us Jews are on the same page when it comes to the issue of the Messiah. I for one really don't much have an opinion one way or the other. If there is to be a Messiah, it should be obvious after a while whom that is, but until then...

• Like Like x 1
  6. viole

viole Metaphysical Naturalist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,106
    Religion:
    Gnostic Atheism
    False dychotomy.

Ciao

- viole

7. Domenic

Domenic Active Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Yes. Jew believe he will come the first time. Christians believe he will come the second time.
    What do you see as false?

8. rusra02

rusra02 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +497
    I believe Jesus is the Messiah or Christ. Jesus is, IMO, indisputably the greatest man who ever lived. Only Jesus can trace his lineage to prove he is a son of David. Bible prophecies he fulfilled and the powerful works he performed identify him as the Messiah. Jehovah identified Jesus as his Son. (Matthew 3:16,17) Jesus affirmed he is the Messiah. (John 4:25,26) The Bible promises at Matthew 16:27,28 that the Messiah will return, this time to render judgment against the wicked and as the King of God's kingdom.

9. metis

Ratings:
    +12,246
    Religion:
    I checked all this out in detail about 25 years ago, and it is bogus. Verses are cherry-picked from the Tanakh and put into a clearly incorrect context if one checks on these one by one.

I taught Christian theology for 14 years, but something I read challenged that, so I studied for myself-- 2-3 hours per day, for two straight years with only about a 2 month break in between going through the Tanakh and "N.T."-- three Christian Bibles, two Christian commentaries, and one Christian concordance I used. At the end, I realized Jesus simply could not be the "Messiah" and that supposed citations saying he was are pulled out of context, which can easily be determined by reading each part in a wider context-- iow, read a lot of the verses around it to make sure what it's actually about.

Finding this out depressed me greatly, and led to the three most difficult years of my nearly 70 years of life. My Christian wife stuck with me through this and attends synagogue with me regularly, and I attend her church also regularly. Since I'm sorta a "many paths to God" kinda guy, I don't really get hung up on a "my daddy is bigger than your daddy" approach. IOW, I have no problem going into someone else's house of worship and feeling at ease.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Awoon

Awoon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +375
    Genesis 14:18 ...a priest after Melchizedec. Do people really know what that means? It means no bloodline is required to fulfill that order. So to give Jesus a bloodline and say it is needed after Melchizedec wouldn't make any sense.
    But then again some people want and need Jesus to do everything for them, and they'll use the Bible to prove it. Too bad Jesus cant speak for himself outside The Bible.

11. roger1440

roger1440 I do stuff

Ratings:
    +961
    Religion:
    Christian
    If someone walked up to me on the sidewalk and said he was going to save the world, more than likely I would stay as far away from him as possible. But if he can turn water into wine, guaranteed he would be invited to my next party.

• Like Like x 2
  12. metis

Ratings:
    +12,246
    Religion:
    And I would convert again!

13. Kolibri

Kolibri Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +507
    Religion:
    One of Jehovah's Witnesses

This only applies to Jesus being a priest while not being of the tribe of Levi. It has nothing to do with the legal right to the kingly portion of his duties.

14. Laika

Laika Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,770
    Religion:
    Philosophical Materialism
    I tend to think that there have been extraordinary people in history, and whilst I don't believe they were divine, they may well have inspired people and had something worth saying and listening to. In that historical context I would say a true "messiah" or "prophet" will ask people not to believe in them, but to believe in themselves. Personally, the true measure of a religious leader is the realization of their humanity rather than any claim to divinity and I can respect that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Awoon

Awoon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +375
    Your post doesn't make sense to me.

16. Nietzsche

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,910
    Religion:
    Heathen King
    Right. So when did he slay a giant-*** dragon, feed the Jewish people with its corpse, and then literally bring his followers up into Heaven?

Someone, somewhere might'a seen that. I mean, have you seen Palestine/Judea? It's boring as **** there! A man slaying a dragon would be noticed!

• Like Like x 1
  17. metis

Ratings:
    +12,246
    Religion:
    Maybe it was a small dragon, he was a small man, and they were in a small cave?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nietzsche

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,910
    Religion:
    Heathen King
    Oh ****. There wasn't, like, a wee fellow with a golden ring was there?

• Like Like x 1
  19. metis

Ratings:
    +12,246
    Religion:
    I'll never tell.

20. RabbiO

RabbiO הרב יונה בן זכריה

Ratings:
    +1,950