• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The masked truth....

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Actually, we do say that. The CDC says that. If you test negative for HIV, you could still have it.

My point is it's a negative way of looking at things. For example, my mother still has two lumps in her breasts. We still don't know if it will be cancerous but all we know is there's no symptoms and no evidence of it so far needing a biopsy. Instead of saying, "oh, she may still have cancer" we usually say, "oh, she does not now" unless it changes or symptoms come up in the future. But since we (and many doctors) are optimistic, we usually treat when things come up and say good things when things don't.

You're looking at things a bit more technical. I am not.

I've already acknowledged it posts ago. Think it was the post before last or the last one if I'm not mistaken.
Okay. So just to be crystal clear, you now acknowledge that the following statement is not correct. Right?
It has nothing to do with Trump as a person. One point he mentioned was he was tested negative for the virus. So, he said he couldn't spread it since he is negative. That statement makes sense; so, I agree with that statement.

Regarding this....
I don't think you heard me. I said I don't listen to trump.
...please answer my question above. I have asked many times now and it's a simple, fair question, in my opinion. Thank you.

My point is it's a negative way of looking at things. For example, my mother still has two lumps in her breasts. We still don't know if it will be cancerous but all we know is there's no symptoms and no evidence of it so far needing a biopsy. Instead of saying, "oh, she may still have cancer" we usually say, "oh, she does not now" unless it changes or symptoms come up in the future. But since we (and many doctors) are optimistic, we usually treat when things come up and say good things when things don't.

You're looking at things a bit more technical. I am not.
Yes but your mother cannot transmit cancer to other people (I am sorry to hear that by the way). So, it makes sense to be optimistic because that can help everyone cope mentally without endangering others.

COVID is not like that. If you want to assume you don't have it that's great for your mental health. But when you use a negative COVID test to justify not wearing a mask ... you are undermining CDC guidance, endangering others and not doing your part so we can fight the pandemic. It's irresponsible.

This is why Trump's reality-distortion field and inability to grasp or communicate complicated truths, is harmful in a crisis. Don't you agree this is very different than cancer?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm trying to agree or disagree everywhere I can but it seems like either you're asking a different way or not trusting what I say has nothing to do with Trump himself.

COVID tests are primarily useful in identifying and treating people who have it. Not to identify people who don't have it. Why? Because the test results take at least 24 hours if not days to come back, but the result is only indicative of your status at the time you were tested. Also, it is a highly transmissible respiratory disease that can spread by simply being in proximity to people who are talking. Also, it is currently widespread in the US. Also, it is a new virus where we have no existing immunity - and therefore, now is a critical time to slow the spread. Also, we have already had months of "community spread" which means people are catching it without knowing how / from whom they got it. Also, many people are asymptomatic carriers of the virus who can transmit it - so you can catch it from someone who isn't sick, and you can also spread it even if you aren't sick.

...okay. But I did say that of course people can still have the virus (or any like virus) even though they tested negative (I did agree there). I also said I don't see things negatively. So if someone didn't test positive for something, the doctors and I usually say we're not presenting symptoms and don't have it so far we know. They can be negative and tell us "well, you could..." but hopefully, most doctors aren't as technical as you are.

What does all this add up to? It adds up to what the CDC says: a negative test does not mean you do not have the virus. If you test negative, you could still have it, and you should still wear a mask around others.

Yes. I agreed to this top part.

Of course, like I said, safe than sorry. People have different reasons they wear masks. The general consensus is if you don't have the virus, you can't spread it. Masks aren't necessary to those who don't have it.

Probabilities are always existing but that's not part of my point.

That's what the CDC says. You already acknowledged this. Right?

So far I remember, yes. I never disagreed with anything CDC says. I have opinions about it as I think we should all be skeptical about what we read and listen to, but that's just me. Some are more followers than others.

Actually, we do say that. The CDC says that. If you test negative for HIV, you could still have it. We can only say a person does not have HIV if they test negative twice: once before, and once after the "window period". And, during the "window period" the person must not have had any possible exposure to HIV: namely close sexual contact, or IV drug needle use.

Okay... You're being technical with these probabilities. Do you get my point?

COVID is a much more transmissible disease than HIV. It is not a sexually transmitted / blood borne disease. It is a contagious respiratory disease that can spread by people talking near each other - in fact, it may be airborne. So, because COVID is different from HIV, the implications of a negative test result are different.

Do you get my comparison?

Again: a negative COVID test does not mean you don't have it. A negative HIV test does not mean you don't have it.

You are confused on this issue. I suggest you listen to the CDC more, and Trump less.

I said that when you are negative, you are assumed not to have it.

I added no probabilities or anything like that. Coulds, maybes, etc all do exist but that's not my point.

What does trump have to do with this?

I only went off the link you gave me nothing more.

I don't think you heard me. I said I don't listen to trump. I was going off the link you gave me and that was it. Outside of that, I keep up with the CDC, WHO, and my Governor to see what's going on in our state.

Okay. So just to be crystal clear, you now acknowledge that the following statement is not correct. Right?

You have to refresh my memory while I try to find again the comment I answered this with. After three our four posts of answering your questions, I forget.

...please answer my question above. I have asked many times now and it's a simple, fair question, in my opinion. Thank you.

Every time I answer, you ask me something different or rephrase what you said. Maybe you disagree with my answer but that doesn't mean I haven't answered.

Yes but your mother cannot transmit cancer to other people (I am sorry to hear that by the way). So, it makes sense to be optimistic because that can help everyone cope mentally without endangering others.

COVID is not like that. If you want to assume you don't have it that's great for your mental health. But when you use a negative COVID test to justify not wearing a mask ... you are undermining CDC guidance, endangering others and not doing your part so we can fight the pandemic. It's irresponsible.

Do you get my point?

I NEVER said not to wear a mask nor justifying not to wear it.

Where did you get that from?
What post???

This is why Trump's reality-distortion field and inability to grasp or communicate complicated truths, is harmful in a crisis. Don't you agree this is very different than cancer?

Well, when I do look up trump's information to get your point, then I may agree with you. Right now I'm too lazy to figure out what you're referring to with trump other than the link you gave me.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well, let's be precise: yes, if you do not have the virus you cannot spread it. But there is a difference between not having the virus, and testing negative.

As you already agreed, a negative test does not mean you do not have the virus. It does not mean you cannot spread the virus. Correct? That's what the CDC says right?

I mixed the two. I meant if you don't have it, you can't spread it.

That link, that's what trump said. He tested negative so, of course, you could "still have it" technically, but why consider it. He probably mixed it too. The context of what he said was I tested negative, I don't have it, thus I can't spread it. (Doesn't matter who)

Here's one of many reply-answers. I said I may have mixed the two comments of what you said.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
But, it is not true that he couldn't spread it because he tested negative. Correct?

Yes.

If you are negative (don't have the virus) than you can't spread it.

I know the probabilities-he could, he may have, etc. That's not my point. my point is. When you don't have something, you can't spread it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If you’re not around people, you can’t really spread it. If you are around people, you can.

That is why the CDC says you should wear a mask when you are around people.

My thoughts exactly.

Yes. People wear masks because of the asymptomatic thing. People have different takes on being asymptomatic all of the sudden. Wearing masks just in case is fine. But it does dawn on me one day you're fine and the next you could have the virus.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
One more
Well, let's be precise: yes, if you do not have the virus you cannot spread it. But there is a difference between not having the virus, and testing negative.

My point is the former. It seems like you're saying I'm wrong because
I did not mentioning the probability of having it even though testing negative.

As you already agreed, a negative test does not mean you do not have the virus. It does not mean you cannot spread the virus. Correct? That's what the CDC says right?

Yes. I've said this before. That doesn't invalidate my point you and I agreed with.

Here was my answer:

I mixed the two. I meant if you don't have it, you can't spread it.

That link, that's what trump said. He tested negative so, of course, you could "still have it" technically, but why consider it. He probably mixed it too. The context of what he said was I tested negative, I don't have it, thus I can't spread it. (Doesn't matter who)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Are there other questions I haven't answered of yours?

Take your time.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Great. We agree so I rest my case.

You're confusing the heck out of me.

Where you asking me questions so I can finally agree with you?

If I don't or contradict what you said, you keep challenging me until I do and that's it?

I took time out to find those posts to converse on them and the question you keep asking me.

Edit. Sprinkles. I still hold my case what Trump said makes sense.

So, agreeing with you about what Trump didn't do and about the negative testing and probability doesn't change my point. So, was this all a waste of time getting me to agree with you?

You're confusing the heck out of me.
Yes, we seem to have had communication issues. But it’s now clear we agree Trump should have worn a mask. That was my point.

Edit. Sprinkles. I still hold my case what Trump said makes sense.
Cue the record scratch. Huh? But ... you just said he should have worn a mask ... oh, never mind ... :)

Okay. Let’s give this one more try. What did Trump say that made sense, specifically?

Also, it’s “Spinkles”. And that’s Mr Spinkles to you! ;)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes, we seem to have had communication issues. But it’s now clear we agree Trump should have worn a mask. That was my point.

Cue the record scratch. Huh? But ... you just said he should have worn a mask ... oh, never mind ... :)

Okay. Let’s give this one more try. What did Trump say that made sense, specifically?

Also, it’s “Spinkles”. And that’s Mr Spinkles to you! ;)

You're mixing what I said 'cause you're putting me with Trump as if I agree to his politics.

The link mentioned he said to the reporters (or whomever he was with) that he tested for the virus and was negative. So, he felt since he didn't have the virus, he can't spread it.

I said that "statement" makes sense: If you don't have the virus, you can't spread it.

The probabilities "you may have it even though tested etc" were irrelevant.

As for the mask thing, of course I agree with what the CDC said. I never said I did not. I never said masks did not work. I never said not to wear them. I find being critical of any situation (even religion, for example) is a great way to know what you are reading and listening to is sound or are you (people) just following because of the authority-fallacy.

-

But I was confused 'cause first it seem like you were challenging me on my opinion, then after asking me a question I finally agreed with you on, it must have rippled that I must have agreed with you on everything else?

Not good with english at the moment. Bout to head out.

The link mentioned he said to the reporters (or whomever he was with) that he tested for the virus and was negative. So, he felt since he didn't have the virus, he can't spread it.
Yes, and he is incorrect. A negative test doesn’t mean he doesn’t have the virus. He could have spread it, and he should have worn a mask. (Incidentally, even if he couldn’t spread it, he should still wear a mask so he doesn’t catch it - we are trying to flatten the curve).

I said that "statement" makes sense: If you don't have the virus, you can't spread it.
Right, you said that. I disagree, his statement does not make sense. And if you think it does make sense, then Trump succeeded in confusing you.

We’ve been over this several times now. I am going to rest my case. Thanks for the discussion - you can have the last word on this topic and we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes, and he is incorrect. A negative test doesn’t mean he doesn’t have the virus. He could have spread it, and he should have worn a mask. (Incidentally, even if he couldn’t spread it, he should still wear a mask so he doesn’t catch it - we are trying to flatten the curve).

What he did about not wearing a mask wasn't in my head. I was just going by the link. Of course it would have been beneficial to wear a mask when he visited those people. It wasn't in my head until I looked it up cause you brought it up for some reason and that wasn't my train of thought.

We know a negative test doesn't mean he doesn't have the virus. His point was since he felt he did not have the virus, he could not spread it. He didn't mention any facts and didn't (on that website link) mention he was right or wrong about his opinions.

You're addressing things that wasn't in the beginning of the conversation until you added me with trump and events and all of the sudden:

Right, you said that. I disagree, his statement does not make sense. And if you think it does make sense, then Trump succeeded in confusing you.

Unfortunately, you don't believe me when I say I don't follow politics and don't follow Trump.

Agreeing with his comment doesn't mean " he " is confusing me. I just went off that one statement. All the probabilities and "but, could, maybe, etc" wasn't there in my mind.

Sorry you don't believe what I said. Your opinions and comments are going off of things I corrected you on. Unfortunately, conversations can't continue if you don't take my corrections as true to change your view on what you think I said and meant.

I hate when conversations end on assumptions. I really really do. Learning is better.