• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mandela Effect

What do you think of the Mandella Effect?

• It's never paranormal, just a brain effect

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • There's sometimes something paranormal about it

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • There's mostly something paranormal about it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I answered other, because I don't consider quantum physics to be "paranormal."

As you may or may not know, in my worldview, I don't consider this perceived reality to be real. Maya appears as time/space/causation, which may or may not involve alternate perceptible realities.

I think it's possible that quantum "wires" can get crossed up or somehow manipulated resulting in the incidental intermingling of other perceptible realities where events we "remember" occurring that did not did actually happen.

Maybe Sinbad did actually star in the 90's move "Shazaam" in one of these other realities. :shrug:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
As a believer that the Mandela Effect can not be understood in our straightforward understanding of reality I voted 'There's sometimes something paranormal about it'.

Not thinking 'paranormal' is the ideal word here but 'other' seemed too vague.

I am nowhere remotely close to understanding the processes behind the Mandela Effect that's for sure. My leading hunch is that it is a benevolent game of higher (non-human) intelligences to show us that reality is not the hard-fixed thing we assume it to be. Reality is really consciousness created and not physically created.

The fact that it is kept trivial to mainstream society makes me think it is not an 'unthinking' phenomena. An 'unthinking process' would have likely crashed our normal sense of reality by now and that is not what the intelligences want.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Regarding the Mandela Effect, a common one is people thinking that Jif peanut butter was once called Jiffy.
I think about the strongest one in American culture is the Berenstein Bears changing to Berenstain Bears.

George-ananda

Premium Member
This being top of some search results might indicate its popularity, and usefulness:

What Is the Mandela Effect?

Who was Alexander Hamilton? Most Americans learned in school that he was a founding father of the United States of America but that he was not a president. However, when asked about the presidents of the United States, many people mistakenly believe that Hamilton was a president. Why? If we consider a simple neuroscience explanation, the memory for Alexander Hamilton is encoded in an area of the brain where the memories for the presidents of the United States are stored. The means by which memory traces are stored is called the engram and the framework in which similar memories are associated with each other is called the schema. So when people try to recall Hamilton, this sets off the neurons in close connection to each other, bringing with it the memory of the presidents. (Though this is an oversimplified explanation, it illustrates the general process.)

This rings true to me, as when I had one dream (not having any particular meaning) I recall a chair and a stair being intertwined - with the obvious connection between the two when there wasn't really any other.

And these three, discussed later, also seem to me more likely to affect memory:

Confabulation: Confabulation involves your brain filling in gaps that are missing in your memories to make more sense of them. This isn't lying, but rather remembering details that never happened. Confabulation tends to increase with age.

Post-event information: Information that you learn after an event can change your memory of an event. This includes event subtle information and helps to explain why eyewitness testimony can be unreliable.

Priming: Priming describes the factors leading up to an event that affects our perception of it. Also called suggestibility and presupposition, priming is the difference between asking how short a person is, versus how tall a person is. Saying, "Did you see the black car?" instead of "...a black car?" makes a subtle suggestion that influences response and memory.

Although I have a few memories that definitely seem to be in error, I have an example of the second (involving another person and where I think he was mistaken) that seemed to come from how one might view an earlier experience, and what we should have done at the time but didn't - mountaineering as it happens - and where my memory (most likely to be true) came from what I was thinking at the time as much as the actual physical activity we were doing.

Apart from these, we all seem to develop holes in our memory as we age, and mostly I don't try to recall much from the past since I'm sure most of it has just vanished. The more solid memories have always been there.
Us believers that the Mandela Effect can not be explained in our straightforward understanding of reality have no problem believing in the imperfection of memory. We believe we make normal memory errors all the time and just switch our thinking then to the correct version of the facts. We all do that.

We believers are arguing that there is another class of so-called incorrect memory that is beyond these normal explanations. We are saying we have valid memories of things that don't match our current collective reality. Yes, we are making a most challenging and dramatic claim.

I believe I really did see the Berenstein Bears

I believe I really did see the Fruit of the Loom logo with a cornucopia horn

And etcetera.

We believers can't explain it. As I just said above:

I am nowhere remotely close to understanding the processes behind the Mandela Effect that's for sure. My leading hunch is that it is a benevolent game of higher (non-human) intelligences to show us that reality is not the hard-fixed thing we assume it to be. Reality is really consciousness created and not physically created.

The fact that it is kept trivial to mainstream society makes me think it is not an 'unthinking' phenomena. An 'unthinking process' would have likely crashed our normal sense of reality by now and that is not what the intelligences want.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Us believers that the Mandela Effect can not be explained in our straightforward understanding of reality have no problem believing in the imperfection of memory. We believe we make normal memory errors all the time and just switch our thinking then to the correct version of the facts. We all do that.

We believers are arguing that there is another class of so-called incorrect memory that is beyond these normal explanations. We are saying we have valid memories of things that don't match our current collective reality. Yes, we are making a most challenging and dramatic claim.

I believe I really did see the Berenstein Bears

I believe I really did see the Fruit of the Loom logo with a cornucopia horn

And etcetera.

We believers can't explain it. As I just said above:

Nowt wrong with that. Most of the reasons given in the article probably didn't exist until fairly recently so there are plenty of other reasons why such occurs no doubt, to be discovered. Some of us would prefer to wait for these though than cite some paranormal phenomena as being the most likely cause.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Is a belief that Mandela has two L's common enough to be considered the Mandela Effect at play?

c821ff9e19c06fe2ff40cfd1b760bafc (1).jpg

George-ananda

Premium Member
Nowt wrong with that. Most of the reasons given in the article probably didn't exist until fairly recently so there are plenty of other reasons why such occurs no doubt, to be discovered. Some of us would prefer to wait for these though than cite some paranormal phenomena as being the most likely cause.
Only stated my leading theory. Nothing wrong with that either. I'm just not thinking this is likely going to have any explanation inside our normal box of how reality works but I'm open minded.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Poll included.

Crazy to attribute the failings of the mind to supernatural.

People get things wrong, have false memories, in terms of Mandela most are very easy to check.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Crazy to attribute the failings of the mind to supernatural.

People get things wrong, have false memories, in terms of Mandela most are very easy to check.

I've had a pretty broken upbringing so I hope no one faults me for my existing/sometimes continuing curiosity of pseudoscience. Blame the education system.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I've had a pretty broken upbringing so I hope no one faults me for my existing/sometimes continuing curiosity of pseudoscience. Blame the education system.
I think it's quite normal. Many things can't be explained easily such that we either accept any likely explanations or just leave them open.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!

Poll included.

Just found this poll. I don't know if Mandella Effect is paranormal in the traditional meaning of the word.
But, this sub-forum is probably the best place for it.

As I've stated on a thread I created here, I believe that all things paranormal are effects of the
Multiverse. And my belief in the Multiverse was tied to my own experience with 'Madella Effect'.

I think I will start a different thread here about this.