• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mandela Effect

What do you think of the Mandella Effect?

• It's never paranormal, just a brain effect

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • There's sometimes something paranormal about it

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • There's mostly something paranormal about it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
While the experience of the past being different than what we remembered is weird, because of the unreliability of our own memories, it is difficult to believe it is anything other than a trick of the mind.

Eyes to See

I agree with Nakosis. The mind can be lead to believe you experienced things you never did. Even if you are sure you did. Just the affect of a sinful mind that is very forgetful. It seems the older one gets the more forgetful the mind gets as well.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
You may now refer to me as 'His Pettiness', or 'That picky **** with a superiority complex'.
:)

Hah. It could be misandry at play but I often see quite a few male personalities, not always on RF, with a little bit of a superiority complex. I had one too before I got on estrogen.

I don't look down on it though, so I hope no one gets offended at me saying this. Rather, I consider it part of the Yin Yang balance and wonderfully balancing out all the people with inferiority complexes.

MNoBody

the lion lamb one is the only one that is really weird personally, the rest are just curiosities comparably.....since That is something that was a big cultural theme in my youth and a common piece of symbolic imagery......which is impossible to make any confirmation on any speculations about...apparently
chalk it up to being in a weird reality we still do not comprehend
trust our fallible senses we do.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hah. It could be misandry at play but I often see quite a few male personalities, not always on RF, with a little bit of a superiority complex. I had one too before I got on estrogen.

I don't look down on it though, so I hope no one gets offended at me saying this. Rather, I consider it part of the Yin Yang balance and wonderfully balancing out all the people with inferiority complexes.

I'm confident enough (IRL), but it's taken a while. Wasn't really the case when I was young.
Age has it's benefits.

I was trying to be a little self-deprecating with the 'pettiness' thing, but tone is so hard on the interwebz!!

Erebus

I don't see it as anything supernatural. It's definitely interesting though and I've been tripped up by it a few times!

Our memories are imperfect and we have a tendency to fill in the blanks or remember things in a manner that seems to make sense in the present. You can have multiple people misremembering something in similar ways and potentially passing that false information on or reinforcing it for others.

A good example of this is the children's show, Catch the Pigeon. Firstly, it's not actually called Catch the Pigeon, its real name was Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines. People misremembered presumably because they watched it as children, the real name is clunky, the plot of the series was about trying to catch a pigeon and the theme song included the lyrics, "Catch the pigeon" multiple times...

... Except that the English lyrics are actually, "Stop the pigeon." A slip of the memory along with years of reinforcement by others led to a kids' cartoon being subject to a double Mandela effect!

HonestJoe

Not just in relation to the Mandela effect but in general terms; Why would you even propose "something paranormal" as a defined cause for any phenomena, especially one that already has a viable explanation (even if it isn't fully understood)? What do you even mean by "something paranormal" - it's hardly a well defined hypothesis?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Not just in relation to the Mandela effect but in general terms; Why would you even propose "something paranormal" as a defined cause for any phenomena, especially one that already has a viable explanation (even if it isn't fully understood)? What do you even mean by "something paranormal" - it's hardly a well defined hypothesis?

It'd require a stretch of the imagination. For example, the lion lies with the lamb example - some believe that time travel caused a different version of history and changed that verse. Lol.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Poll included.
I think it's hilarious that there are people credulous enough to look at the failings of human memory and say "no, no - my memory is perfect; it's reality that changed."

Scratch the surface and the Mandela effect - the "supernatural" version, anyhow - gets ridiculously absurd in a disturbing, egotistical way.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
This being top of some search results might indicate its popularity, and usefulness:

What Is the Mandela Effect?

Who was Alexander Hamilton? Most Americans learned in school that he was a founding father of the United States of America but that he was not a president. However, when asked about the presidents of the United States, many people mistakenly believe that Hamilton was a president. Why? If we consider a simple neuroscience explanation, the memory for Alexander Hamilton is encoded in an area of the brain where the memories for the presidents of the United States are stored. The means by which memory traces are stored is called the engram and the framework in which similar memories are associated with each other is called the schema. So when people try to recall Hamilton, this sets off the neurons in close connection to each other, bringing with it the memory of the presidents. (Though this is an oversimplified explanation, it illustrates the general process.)

This rings true to me, as when I had one dream (not having any particular meaning) I recall a chair and a stair being intertwined - with the obvious connection between the two when there wasn't really any other.

And these three, discussed later, also seem to me more likely to affect memory:

Confabulation: Confabulation involves your brain filling in gaps that are missing in your memories to make more sense of them. This isn't lying, but rather remembering details that never happened. Confabulation tends to increase with age.

Post-event information: Information that you learn after an event can change your memory of an event. This includes event subtle information and helps to explain why eyewitness testimony can be unreliable.

Priming: Priming describes the factors leading up to an event that affects our perception of it. Also called suggestibility and presupposition, priming is the difference between asking how short a person is, versus how tall a person is. Saying, "Did you see the black car?" instead of "...a black car?" makes a subtle suggestion that influences response and memory.

Although I have a few memories that definitely seem to be in error, I have an example of the second (involving another person and where I think he was mistaken) that seemed to come from how one might view an earlier experience, and what we should have done at the time but didn't - mountaineering as it happens - and where my memory (most likely to be true) came from what I was thinking at the time as much as the actual physical activity we were doing.

Apart from these, we all seem to develop holes in our memory as we age, and mostly I don't try to recall much from the past since I'm sure most of it has just vanished. The more solid memories have always been there.