• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The link between man & God is FAITH.That is all that keeps things moving & alive.

other-side

Soul separator
An atheist professor of philosophy speaks to his class on the problem science has with God, The Almighty.

He asks one of his new students to stand and .....

Prof: So you believe in God?
Student: Absolutely, sir.

Prof: Is God good?
Student: Sure.

Prof: Is God all-powerful?
Student: Yes.

Prof: My brother died of cancer even though he prayed to God to heal him. Most of us would attempt to help others who are ill. But God didn't. How is this God good then? Hmm? (Student is silent.)

Prof: You can't answer, can you? Let's start again, young fellow. Is God good?

Prof: Is Satan good?
Student: No.

Prof: Where does Satan come from?
Student: From...God...

Prof: That's right. Tell me son, is there evil in this world?

Prof: Evil is everywhere, isn't it? And God did make everything. Correct?

Prof: So who created evil?
Student does not answer.

Prof: Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness? All these terrible things exist in the world, don't they?
Student: Yes, sir.

Prof: So, who created them?
Student has no answer.

Prof: Science says you have 5 senses you use to identify and observe the world around you. Tell me, son...Have you ever seen God?
Student: No, sir.

Prof: Tell us if you have ever heard your God?
Student: No, sir.

Prof: Have you ever felt your God, tasted your God, smelt your God? Have you ever had any sensory perception of God for that matter?
Student: No, sir. I'm afraid I haven't.

Prof: Yet you still believe in Him?

Prof: According to empirical, testable, demonstrable protocol, science says your GOD doesn't exist. What do you say to that, son?
Student: Nothing. I only have my faith.

Prof: Yes. Faith. And that is the problem science has.

Student: Professor, is there such a thing as heat?
Prof: Yes.

Student: And is there such a thing as cold?
Prof: Yes.

Student: No sir. There isn't.
(The lecture theatre becomes very quiet with this turn of events.)

Student: Sir, you can have lots of heat, even more heat, superheat, mega heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat. But we don't have anything called cold. We can hit 458 degrees below zero which is no heat, but we can't go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold. Cold is only a
word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold. Heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it.
(There is pin-drop silence in the lecture theatre.)

Student: What about darkness, Professor? Is there such a thing as darkness?
Prof: Yes. What is night if there isn't darkness?

Student: You're wrong again, sir. Darkness is the absence of something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light, flashing light....But if you have no light constantly, you have nothing and it's called darkness, isn't it? In reality, darkness isn't. If it were you would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn't you?

Prof: So what is the point you are making, young man?
Student: Sir, my point is your philosophical premise is flawed.

Prof: Flawed? Can you explain how?
Student: Sir, you are working on the premise of duality. You argue there is life and then there is death, a good God and a bad God. You are viewing the concept of God as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, science can't even explain a thought. It uses electricity and magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one.

To view death as the opposite of life is to be ignorant of the fact that death cannot exist as a substantive thing. Death is not the opposite of life: just the absence of it. Now tell me, Professor. Do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?

Prof: If you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, yes, of course, I do.

Student: Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir? (The Professor shakes his head with a smile, beginning to realize where the argument is going.)

Student: Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor, are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you not a scientist but a preacher? (The class is in uproar.)

Student: Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the Professor's brain? (The class breaks out into laughter.)

Student: Is there anyone here who has ever heard the Professor's brain, felt it, touched or smelt it? No one appears to have done so. So, according to the established rules of empirical, stable, demonstrable protocol, science says that you have no brain, sir. With all due respect, sir, how do we then trust your lectures, sir?

(The room is silent. The professor stares at the student, his face unfathomable.)

Prof: I guess you'll have to take them on faith, son.

Student: That is it sir... The link between man & god is FAITH. That
is all that keeps things moving & alive.
this is a true story, and the student was none other than.........Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, the present president of India
Any opinions ?:sarcastic

GiantHouseKey

Greetings

I've always felt there was more than one level on which somebody can be an atheist. Some atheists, like some theists, have always felt the same regarding the topic of Theism, because they simply haven't thought about it, or are not intelligent enough. Atheists that are only atheists because they have always been atheists are about as much use in a debate about theism as a garden gnome.

This particular discussion was not about philosophy, it was about theology. If this story is true, I would hope that the professor was fired or severely 'pwned' by the other philosophy staff.

I've heard every arguement used by both the professor and the student more times than I would care to remember. Seems that, in this case, neither the professor nor the student has thought above and beyond the default level.

Also footnotes:
- If the professor teaches philosophy, what the hell is he doing teaching them about evolution
- If the professor teaches that his students evolved from monkeys, he would not only be doing the wrong job, he would also be wrong.

GhK.

other-side

Soul separator
:p Just found it somewhere in the net and wanted to share
I agree with u all...this discussion makes the truth twisted
good for fun :D

rageoftyrael

Veritas
the arguments presented by the student were weak. The brain one especially. We can take brain scans, etc... to prove he has one. If that didn't convince you, we can bash his skull in and pull the brain out, though that might be going to far. I hate the argument that if you can't present proof at this exact moment, your argument is flawed. It's ridiculous. It isn't faith! He said the wrong thing. Had i been in that professor's seat, i'd have gone off on an explanation on the difference between belief and faith. So, someone who can't hold their own in a real argument proves nothing.

Seriously though, there is no darkness, merely a lack of light? Cute. Darkness exists for the very reason that we haved named it. Yes, darkness is a lack of light. So of course, true darkness is the only actual darkness, where there is no light whatsoever. So, darkness exists. Pfft. I hate ridiculous arguments that really don't prove anything, just make the person arguing feel smart. This is said in regards to both of the people. Neither proved their point very well. or at all, if you ask me.

The student proved nothing, merely that the professor's arguments were flawed. Why is the professor argument flawed? The lack of evidence does not prove there is no god, it merely implies it. Going into an argument with the attitude that having no evidence is enough evidence of the opposite, is ridiculous.

Makes sense to me.:D

:p Just found it somewhere in the net and wanted to share
I agree with u all...this discussion makes the truth twisted
good for fun :D

Tut tut, instigator :sarcastic

Why is the atheist professor never named, and why is there no variance in the many retellings of this story peppered around the net ? Someone's propaganda mill is being machine cranked on this one me thinks.

http://gleez.com/articles/general/an-atheist-professor-and-his-philosophy

http://musings.blogsome.com/

http://www.slideshare.net/prakashjha7/ABOUT-GOD-Former-President-A-P-J-Abdul-Kalam

other-side

Soul separator
Tut tut, instigator :sarcastic

Why is the atheist professor never named, and why is there no variance in the many retellings of this story peppered around the net ? Someone's propaganda mill is being machine cranked on this one me thinks.

http://gleez.com/articles/general/an-atheist-professor-and-his-philosophy

http://musings.blogsome.com/

http://www.slideshare.net/prakashjha7/ABOUT-GOD-Former-President-A-P-J-Abdul-Kalam

ye your right,I have seen this story in 1001 different student-prof. model!:areyoucra
anyway sorry.i,m new here just wanted to discuss something:sad:

Heneni

Miss Independent
If god was all powerful he can get rid of evil - YIP
If god was all loving he would want to get rid of evil - YIP

Are you evil? cause if you are you are in danger! Men are the ones doing evil. It doesnt fall out of the sky.

So really you are saying that unless god gets rid of evil people he wont be loving or powerful, but then if he does, you might be gone as well.

Does god want to get rid of people or of evil? There is another thread for that.

God bless
Heneni

gnomon

How is comparing two relativistic definitions and a couple model theories in anyway comparable to making absolute claims regarding a concept defined as being ineffable supposed to clever?

averageJOE

zombie
Entertaining read. Thats about it though. The student wants to say darkness is the absence of light, fine. He wants to say cold is the absence of heat, cool. He even wants to say death is the absence of life, hey, he can have that one too. But I say, faith is the absence of logic and reason.

Bloomdido

We find evidence in things to support what we already believe. That way, we maintain our comfort zone in the irrational concepts of an 'all loving god.' Opposites, absolutes, who cares? Look at the evidence. I have no faith. As my mother used to say, "Believe nothing of what you read and half of what you see." Although these days,I would even have to be very suspicious of anything I see .....

other-side

Soul separator
Hopefully your future posts will be both more original and more interesting. Faith is impressive only to the faithful, so you are only succeed in singing to the choir.
right,I was just making myself warm for some original one :D

shortfade2

Anyone who says something like. God should stop evil, is just desperate to find an excuse for our wrongdoings.

shortfade2

I also would have been in the 2004 tsunami, when I was living oversees. We would always vacation in Phuket, Thailand, Over Christmas break. My parents were convinced to move home earlier than we were supposed to, and we werent in the tsunami because of it. I am quite grateful for that. As anyone would be.

GiantHouseKey

I also would have been in the 2004 tsunami, when I was living oversees. We would always vacation in Phuket, Thailand, Over Christmas break. My parents were convinced to move home earlier than we were supposed to, and we werent in the tsunami because of it. I am quite grateful for that. As anyone would be.

Good to hear that you got out of that situation :)

GhK.