• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Law of Cause and Effect: True / False / Maybe

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
@Aupmanyav , If you don't mind, I'd like to hear your opinion on this since Hindu is the most expansive diverse religious group I know of. Because of that, I am very curious about your answer to my question in both the micro and the macro as it relates to Hindu beliefs and their pantheon.
Dymbh, I would be happy to answer your questions, but give me a question/questions as to where should I start.

By the way, I do not know how I can install Abiword in Debian. Help me there. Otherwise everything OK. :D

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I think everything is by cause and affect (everything is a play of dominoes). The only way I can see it not being cause and affect (and make just as much sense) if everything is eternal and there is no separation between dominoes so "no running into" each other. One act/motion/karma. While I understand the former, if I looked more into the religious eastern side of it, more than likely the latter would be more productive application if going by religion more than science.
cool perspective, thank you.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Dymbh, I would be happy to answer your questions, but give me a question/questions as to where should I start.
Are there nihilists in Hindu? is there a name for their denomination? sect?

Is it possible to be a Theist/Nihilist? Have you ever heard of someone with a belief like this in your travels and interactions? Does it have a name in Hinduism?
By the way, I do not know how I can install Abiword in Debian. Help me there. Otherwise everything OK.

Which desktop environment are you using?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The only way I can see it not being cause and affect (and make just as much sense) if everything is eternal and there is no separation between dominoes so "no running into" each other.
My view is a bit different. I base my view on Quantum Mechanics and in RigVeda when it said "Sages who searched with their heart's thought discovered the existent's kinship in the non-existent." (Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN CXXIX. Creation.).
So, who knows if existence is a progression of non-existence and non-existence is a progression of existence. These are phases which pass from one to another and things may be a little different from the human perspective of 'eternal existence' which entails the question as to where and why did it arise from.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
No, Dymbh, as far as I know there are no nihilist Hindu sects or philosophies. The minimum is what I believe - existence of Brahman as the sole substrate of all things in the universe. I will need to check Buddha's Samannaphala Sutta to find if any of the six philosophies that he encountered were nihilists. That I will do tomorrow (time to go to bed here).

I am still with Linux Mint 19.2 and 20 Beta. If I can get Debian right, I could change to it. It gives me a startup of 25s. :)

dis.22.jpg
Win 10 in VB. :D

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
No, Dymbh, as far as I know there are no nihilist Hindu sects or philosophies. The minimum is what I believe - existence of Brahman as the sole substrate of all things in the universe. I will need to check Buddha's Samannaphala Sutta to find if any of the six philosophies that he encountered were nihilists. That I will do tomorrow (time to go to bed here).
Thank you.
I am still with Linux Mint 19.2 and 20 Beta. If I can get Debian right, I could change to it. It gives me a startup of 25s.
If you go with gnome, one of these should work from terminal:

sudo apt-get install abiword
or
sudo apt-get install abiword-gnome

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Footage for footage (that's what Google translated that as), Measure for measure, quid pro quo were two others. But I'm guessing "eye for an eye" is what you had in mind.
No, if I had wanted to say עין בעין שן בשן יד ביד רגל ברגל I would have said so.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
My view is a bit different. I base my view on Quantum Mechanics and in RigVeda when it said "Sages who searched with their heart's thought discovered the existent's kinship in the non-existent." (Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN CXXIX. Creation.).
So, who knows if existence is a progression of non-existence and non-existence is a progression of existence. These are phases which pass from one to another and things may be a little different from the human perspective of 'eternal existence' which entails the question as to where and why did it arise from.

I'd say eternal existence is more a void (no time) without beginning or end rather than a "thing" or noun that extends forever. Space (the "negative") would be a good example. So, I would assume non-existence and existence-those two words-would be useless once one gets there's no "thing" to measure to know its existence (whether eternal or not) to begin with.

Hmm. I actually re-read your link after posting above. Is this conclusion similar to what I just mentioned?

I know you're more scientific minded (from what I gather) so I can't relate with what you said. Don't quote me with the terminology. If all is void, there is no question of where and why (no questions at all). No "thing" to get, really. Total reality (not a replacement or metaphor for X) without our needing to define and analyze it. Maybe its best called Act or Practice are better terms to use?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
From what I can tell, the Law of Cause and Effect is universal in all belief and non-belief systems in the entire world. The only exclusion is a strict nihilist. Even Satanic Devil worshipers and Atheists believe in cause and effect don't they?

Question: Is Cause and Effect universally True?

( I grouped Atheists and Devil worshipers together because they both encourage the most personal freedom. No offense or equivalency intended in any other way. )

Myself, I try not to be the effect of someone else's cause unless it works with some goal I have.

As far as karma, I don't see this as a law of cause and effect. It's more like if you plant good seeds (good actions) you'll likely have a good harvest. Bad actions will likely give you a bad harvest. Not like a law that one thing causes the next. Doing good actions increases your potential of having a happy life.

More advice than law.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
It might have been helpful if I had been a bit more illustrative in my original post, or even in my 2nd post. Perhaps I should referenced Hillel's response (Avot 2:6) on seeing a skull in the water -
אף הוא ראה גלגלת אחת שצפה על פני המים אמר לה על דאטפת אטפוך וסוף מטיפיך יטופון
(I just found out I can change the font of of the Hebrew in my post! The excitement never ends. [I'm old, I excite easy.])

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
From what I can tell, the Law of Cause and Effect is universal in all belief and non-belief systems in the entire world. The only exclusion is a strict nihilist.

The Buddhist concept of "mutual arising" provides an alternative notion to cause and effect. It's been awhile since I read up on it. I'd have to dig out some books to go into any detail, though.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The Buddhist concept of "mutual arising" provides an alternative notion to cause and effect. It's been awhile since I read up on it. I'd have to dig out some books to go into any detail, though.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I should referenced Hillel's response (Avot 2:6) on seeing a skull in the water -
I know, I know.... *raises hand*

He said, "OK, kids, everyone out of the pool... This is gonna be messy" { cause and effect }

Rational Agnostic

From what I can tell, the Law of Cause and Effect is universal in all belief and non-belief systems in the entire world. The only exclusion is a strict nihilist. Even Satanic Devil worshipers and Atheists believe in cause and effect don't they?

Question: Is Cause and Effect universally True?

( I grouped Atheists and Devil worshipers together because they both encourage the most personal freedom. No offense or equivalency intended in any other way. )

There is no such "law" as far as I know.