• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The label “Mormon” Is Out

shmogie

The Book of Mormon is the whole reason their church exists. Briefly, it is the history of a Jewish family that left "Israel" around 400 BC. By traveling down the Arabian Peninsula, building a boat, and going through the South Pacific Islands, crossing the Pacific and landing somewhere in Central America or South America, they settled there and lasted around 800-1000 years. According to their beliefs, they formed the basis for those who inhabited the land there.

Joseph Smith is said to have discovered plates in up state New York and he translated them into the Book of Mormon.

As far as I am concerned, the BOM is as plausible as the rest of the Bible, but in my opinion, their leaders have done wrong things with the Doctrine, that hurt a lot of people.

I am sure that some Mormons will disagree with my brief synopsis and they are welcome to correct me. No crybaby stuff, OK?
3 adulterated religions based upon specious prophets came out of America in the 19th century. the first being the Mormons, then the Seventh Day Adventists, then the Christian scientists. A version exists with the Jehovah´s Witnesses, who have a committee of ´ the anointed ´ to guide them.

Each has either their own personal Bible unlike the Greek original texts, or a body of holy literature allegedly given to the prophet.

They are all in error, all a chimera.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Other Christians are highly unlikely to apply the term "Latter Day Saints" to Mormons since they hardly consider the people that started the church to be "saints" that would be giving them a validation that they do not believe in. Perhaps some other term could be found?
In the Bible, the word "saints" is used to refer to followers of Jesus Christ. It did not have the connotation that it has in the Catholic Church today.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Would they belong to the 'Fundamentalists Church of Latter- Day Saints' (FCLDS) as opposed to 'Church of Latter-Day Saints'?
See, I think that usage is what prompted the recent emphasis on using the correct name of the Church. There is no such church as the "Church of Latter-day Saints."

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued the following statement from President Russell M. Nelson on August 16 [2018] regarding the name of the Church:

“The Lord has impressed upon my mind the importance of the name He has revealed for His Church, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We have work before us to bring ourselves in harmony with His will. In recent weeks, various Church leaders and departments have initiated the necessary steps to do so. Additional information about this important matter will be made available in the coming months.”

The Church has released an updated style guide, which provides direction on how to properly refer to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In the coming months, Church websites and materials will be updated to reflect this direction from President Nelson.

Following is the text from updated style guide:

The official name of the Church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The full name was given by revelation from God to Joseph Smith in 1838.

⚫ In the first reference, the full name of the Church is preferred: “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”

⚫
When a shortened reference is needed, the terms “the Church” or the “Church of Jesus Christ” are encouraged. The “restored Church of Jesus Christ” is also accurate and encouraged.

⚫ While the term “Mormon Church” has long been publicly applied to the Church as a nickname, it is not an authorized title, and the Church discourages its use. Thus, please avoid using the abbreviation “LDS” or the nickname “Mormon” as substitutes for the name of the Church, as in “Mormon Church,” “LDS Church,” or “Church of the Latter-day Saints.”

⚫ When referring to Church members, the terms “members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints” or “Latter-day Saints” are preferred. We ask that the term “Mormons” not be used.

⚫ “Mormon” is correctly used in proper names such as the Book of Mormon or when used as an adjective in such historical expressions as “Mormon Trail.”

⚫ The term “Mormonism” is inaccurate and should not be used. When describing the combination of doctrine, culture, and lifestyle unique to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the term “the restored gospel of Jesus Christ” is accurate and preferred.

⚫ When referring to people or organizations that practice polygamy, it should be stated that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not affiliated with polygamous groups.
source

Not that this will change what non-Latter-day Saints people call Latter-day Sainters. I expect "Mormon" will be used to describe Mormons for at least the next century-plus.

Well, the word mormon has also a too short Hamming distance from another word. Which is dodgy, especially with current spell checkers that are context unaware.

Ciao

- viole

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
In the Bible, the word "saints" is used to refer to followers of Jesus Christ. It did not have the connotation that it has in the Catholic Church today.

Yes, but even that goes too far. Other sects of Christians will simply not consider the founders of the LDS church followers of Christ. A more neutral term is needed if one wants to get others to use that term For example many people object to the term "Native Americans". I was born here, most Americans were born here. That makes us "Native" by definition. Aboriginal or First Peoples is better and less likely to meed opposition since it reflects the fact that the ancestors of that group were here first.

Jumi

They had a whole “I am Mormon” campaign not that long ago and also used the domain Mormon.org. Seems like they’re trying to rebrand, perhaps to appear more mainstream.
Interesting... I can't fathom why they'd think it would have more appeal though.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Yes, but even that goes too far. Other sects of Christians will simply not consider the founders of the LDS church followers of Christ.
So we're not supposed to refer to ourselves as followers of Jesus Christ, even though we believe He is the Only Begotten Son of God and the only means by which we can be reconciled to God? :rolleyes: Since we don't see anybody else who has ever lived as meeting those qualifications, I don't know whose Church we should claim to be a part of.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Other Christians are highly unlikely to apply the term "Latter Day Saints" to Mormons since they hardly consider the people that started the church to be "saints" that would be giving them a validation that they do not believe in. Perhaps some other term could be found?
The word "saints" is found 107 times in the New Testament. In every instance, it is used to mean a disciple of Jesus Christ, and not some person a church has decided has supernatural powers. It was not until 993 B.C. that the Catholic Church "canonized" its first "Saint."

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So we're not supposed to refer to ourselves as followers of Jesus Christ, even though we believe He is the Only Begotten Son of God and the only means by which we can be reconciled to God? :rolleyes: Since we don't see anybody else who has ever lived as meeting those qualifications, I don't know whose Church we should claim to be a part of.
You can call yourselves whatever you want. But it others are not going to use the same as your group does.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The word "saints" is found 107 times in the New Testament. In every instance, it is used to mean a disciple of Jesus Christ, and not some person a church has decided has supernatural powers. It was not until 993 B.C. that the Catholic Church "canonized" its first "Saint."
I know, but once again, other Christian groups may not think that you are following Christ. Almost all think of Joseph Smith et al. as false prophets.

Ellen Brown

Would they belong to the 'Fundamentalists Church of Latter- Day Saints' (FCLDS) as opposed to 'Church of Latter-Day Saints'?

I can't remember what they call themselves, though they have the same roots as regular Salt Lake City Mormons. Right after Joseph Smith was murdered, several splinter groups formed. I once studied 6 of them and found out that my relatives had been Mormon in the 1860's in Arizona (?), though I do not know if they were splinter or part of the main church.

Oddly, after Smith's murder, Emma smith is first wife, stayed behind, I think in Navoo, Ill. and his son and others formed the "Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints". I think their Headquarters is Independence, Mo.

Ellen Brown

3 adulterated religions based upon specious prophets came out of America in the 19th century. the first being the Mormons, then the Seventh Day Adventists, then the Christian scientists. A version exists with the Jehovah´s Witnesses, who have a committee of ´ the anointed ´ to guide them.

Each has either their own personal Bible unlike the Greek original texts, or a body of holy literature allegedly given to the prophet.

They are all in error, all a chimera.

Current mainstream Mormons use the KJV, though many of the members believe that the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price, and the word of the Prophet, overrule the Bible, something I adamantly insisted was wrong. Not all the membership believe it either.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
You can call yourselves whatever you want. But it others are not going to use the same as your group does.
Well, that's really pretty stupid when you stop to think about it. If someone were to come up to you and say, "Hi, my name's Michael," would you say, "That's fine. Call yourself Michael if you want, but I'm going to call you David"?