• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The label “Mormon” Is Out

Jane.Doe

Okay, got it! Thanks. But I thought "Christians" don't think Latter Day Saints are "real Christians". So do they call themselves Christians or just Latter Day Saints?
LDS Christians readily acknowledge other Christians as being Christians (that was totally a stating the obvious statement).

*Some* other Christians do categorically deny an LDS Christians relationship with Christ. Speaking frankly, I find that to be their problem and not mine. The fact that Christ is my Savior is in no way affected if "Bob the Baptist" wants to pretend it doesn't exist.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Okay, got it! Thanks. But I thought "Christians" don't think Latter Day Saints are "real Christians". So do they call themselves Christians or just Latter Day Saints?
Many Christians recognize us as "real Christians," but you're right -- some don't. At any rate, as long as God recognizes us as real Christians, that's all that really matters.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued the following statement from President Russell M. Nelson on August 16 [2018] regarding the name of the Church:

“The Lord has impressed upon my mind the importance of the name He has revealed for His Church, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We have work before us to bring ourselves in harmony with His will. In recent weeks, various Church leaders and departments have initiated the necessary steps to do so. Additional information about this important matter will be made available in the coming months.”

The Church has released an updated style guide, which provides direction on how to properly refer to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In the coming months, Church websites and materials will be updated to reflect this direction from President Nelson.

Following is the text from updated style guide:

The official name of the Church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The full name was given by revelation from God to Joseph Smith in 1838.

⚫ In the first reference, the full name of the Church is preferred: “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”

⚫
When a shortened reference is needed, the terms “the Church” or the “Church of Jesus Christ” are encouraged. The “restored Church of Jesus Christ” is also accurate and encouraged.

⚫ While the term “Mormon Church” has long been publicly applied to the Church as a nickname, it is not an authorized title, and the Church discourages its use. Thus, please avoid using the abbreviation “LDS” or the nickname “Mormon” as substitutes for the name of the Church, as in “Mormon Church,” “LDS Church,” or “Church of the Latter-day Saints.”

⚫ When referring to Church members, the terms “members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints” or “Latter-day Saints” are preferred. We ask that the term “Mormons” not be used.

⚫ “Mormon” is correctly used in proper names such as the Book of Mormon or when used as an adjective in such historical expressions as “Mormon Trail.”

⚫ The term “Mormonism” is inaccurate and should not be used. When describing the combination of doctrine, culture, and lifestyle unique to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the term “the restored gospel of Jesus Christ” is accurate and preferred.

⚫ When referring to people or organizations that practice polygamy, it should be stated that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not affiliated with polygamous groups.
source

Not that this will change what non-Latter-day Saints people call Latter-day Sainters. I expect "Mormon" will be used to describe Mormons for at least the next century-plus.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued the following statement from President Russell M. Nelson on August 16 [2018] regarding the name of the Church:

“The Lord has impressed upon my mind the importance of the name He has revealed for His Church, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We have work before us to bring ourselves in harmony with His will. In recent weeks, various Church leaders and departments have initiated the necessary steps to do so. Additional information about this important matter will be made available in the coming months.”

The Church has released an updated style guide, which provides direction on how to properly refer to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In the coming months, Church websites and materials will be updated to reflect this direction from President Nelson.

Following is the text from updated style guide:

The official name of the Church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The full name was given by revelation from God to Joseph Smith in 1838.

⚫ In the first reference, the full name of the Church is preferred: “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”

⚫
When a shortened reference is needed, the terms “the Church” or the “Church of Jesus Christ” are encouraged. The “restored Church of Jesus Christ” is also accurate and encouraged.

⚫ While the term “Mormon Church” has long been publicly applied to the Church as a nickname, it is not an authorized title, and the Church discourages its use. Thus, please avoid using the abbreviation “LDS” or the nickname “Mormon” as substitutes for the name of the Church, as in “Mormon Church,” “LDS Church,” or “Church of the Latter-day Saints.”

⚫ When referring to Church members, the terms “members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints” or “Latter-day Saints” are preferred. We ask that the term “Mormons” not be used.

⚫ “Mormon” is correctly used in proper names such as the Book of Mormon or when used as an adjective in such historical expressions as “Mormon Trail.”

⚫ The term “Mormonism” is inaccurate and should not be used. When describing the combination of doctrine, culture, and lifestyle unique to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the term “the restored gospel of Jesus Christ” is accurate and preferred.

⚫ When referring to people or organizations that practice polygamy, it should be stated that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not affiliated with polygamous groups.
source

Not that this will change what non-Latter-day Saints people call Latter-day Sainters. I expect "Mormon" will be used to describe Mormons for at least the next century-plus.

Other Christians are highly unlikely to apply the term "Latter Day Saints" to Mormons since they hardly consider the people that started the church to be "saints" that would be giving them a validation that they do not believe in. Perhaps some other term could be found?
As long as Mormons follow the Book of Mormon main stream Christians will call them Mormons, whether they like it or not.

Pretending is the refuge of those who seek to avoid harsh reality. If that is what you have been taught, and choose to dissipate your time on earth with, then you must pardon others who prefer to go in search of the true word of God, even if doing so makes them and others uncomfortable.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
This is what I predicted. The gulf between Mormons and other Christians is too large for many of them to acknowledge members of the LDS as Christians.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And in the end, the only opinion that's really going to matter is God's.
If such a being exists. If you remember I did not say that I could not or would not call members of the LDS "Latter Day Saints". I predicted that other Christians would resist the idea.

Perhaps your church should try to educate other Christians so that they would see that the differences between your church and other Christians is not that large.

Last edited:

Jane.Doe

Pretending is the refuge of those who seek to avoid harsh reality. If that is what you have been taught, and choose to dissipate your time on earth with, then you must pardon others who prefer to go in search of the true word of God, even if doing so makes them and others uncomfortable.
Again: shall I treat you with the same behavior: denying your relationship with Christ, denying that you've done any searching, and accuse you of being a pretender?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If such a being exists. If you remember I did not say that I could not or would not call members of the LDS "Latter Day Saints". I predicted that other Christians would resist the idea.

Perhaps your church should try to educate other Christians so that they would see that the differences between your church and other Christians is not that large.
People can't learn what they don't want to learn.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
With that attitude I cannot put all the blame on those Christians who will not accept your name.
It really doesn't matter to me who you put the "blame" on. I'm just speaking from 20 years of experience in trying to educate people about what Latter-day Saints actually believe. I have never once been guilty of proselytizing, and I have been more than patient in my responses to people. Anyone on this website who has asked me a question and has trusted me to provide them with an honest, accurate and comprehensive answer will tell you that. While there have been some who have actually appreciated the time and effort I have put into my responses, I'd say there are far more who simply refuse to listen to anything I have to say. When someone says, "Mormons believe... [such and such]" a dozen times and I correct them a dozen times and say, "No, we don't. We don't believe that at all. Rather, we believe... [such and such]," and they flat out ignore what I've said, I stand by my original statement that "people can't learn what they don't want to learn."