• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The label “Mormon” Is Out

Skwim

Veteran Member

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued the following statement from President Russell M. Nelson on August 16 [2018] regarding the name of the Church:

“The Lord has impressed upon my mind the importance of the name He has revealed for His Church, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We have work before us to bring ourselves in harmony with His will. In recent weeks, various Church leaders and departments have initiated the necessary steps to do so. Additional information about this important matter will be made available in the coming months.”

The Church has released an updated style guide, which provides direction on how to properly refer to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In the coming months, Church websites and materials will be updated to reflect this direction from President Nelson.

Following is the text from updated style guide:

The official name of the Church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The full name was given by revelation from God to Joseph Smith in 1838.

⚫ In the first reference, the full name of the Church is preferred: “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”

⚫
When a shortened reference is needed, the terms “the Church” or the “Church of Jesus Christ” are encouraged. The “restored Church of Jesus Christ” is also accurate and encouraged.

⚫ While the term “Mormon Church” has long been publicly applied to the Church as a nickname, it is not an authorized title, and the Church discourages its use. Thus, please avoid using the abbreviation “LDS” or the nickname “Mormon” as substitutes for the name of the Church, as in “Mormon Church,” “LDS Church,” or “Church of the Latter-day Saints.”

⚫ When referring to Church members, the terms “members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints” or “Latter-day Saints” are preferred. We ask that the term “Mormons” not be used.

⚫ “Mormon” is correctly used in proper names such as the Book of Mormon or when used as an adjective in such historical expressions as “Mormon Trail.”

⚫ The term “Mormonism” is inaccurate and should not be used. When describing the combination of doctrine, culture, and lifestyle unique to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the term “the restored gospel of Jesus Christ” is accurate and preferred.

⚫ When referring to people or organizations that practice polygamy, it should be stated that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not affiliated with polygamous groups.
source

Not that this will change what non-Latter-day Saints people call Latter-day Sainters. I expect "Mormon" will be used to describe Mormons for at least the next century-plus.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued the following statement from President Russell M. Nelson on August 16 [2018] regarding the name of the Church:

“The Lord has impressed upon my mind the importance of the name He has revealed for His Church, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We have work before us to bring ourselves in harmony with His will. In recent weeks, various Church leaders and departments have initiated the necessary steps to do so. Additional information about this important matter will be made available in the coming months.”

The Church has released an updated style guide, which provides direction on how to properly refer to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In the coming months, Church websites and materials will be updated to reflect this direction from President Nelson.

The official name of the Church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The full name was given by revelation from God to Joseph Smith in 1838.

⚫ In the first reference, the full name of the Church is preferred: “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”

⚫
When a shortened reference is needed, the terms “the Church” or the “Church of Jesus Christ” are encouraged. The “restored Church of Jesus Christ” is also accurate and encouraged.

⚫ While the term “Mormon Church” has long been publicly applied to the Church as a nickname, it is not an authorized title, and the Church discourages its use. Thus, please avoid using the abbreviation “LDS” or the nickname “Mormon” as substitutes for the name of the Church, as in “Mormon Church,” “LDS Church,” or “Church of the Latter-day Saints.”

⚫ When referring to Church members, the terms “members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints” or “Latter-day Saints” are preferred. We ask that the term “Mormons” not be used.

⚫ “Mormon” is correctly used in proper names such as the Book of Mormon or when used as an adjective in such historical expressions as “Mormon Trail.”

⚫ The term “Mormonism” is inaccurate and should not be used. When describing the combination of doctrine, culture, and lifestyle unique to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the term “the restored gospel of Jesus Christ” is accurate and preferred.

⚫ When referring to people or organizations that practice polygamy, it should be stated that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not affiliated with polygamous groups.
source

Not that this will change what non-Latter-day Saints people call Latter-day Sainters. I expect "Mormon" will be used to describe Mormons for at least the next century-plus.

Other Christians are highly unlikely to apply the term "Latter Day Saints" to Mormons since they hardly consider the people that started the church to be "saints" that would be giving them a validation that they do not believe in. Perhaps some other term could be found?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It is a mystery to me why they would do this, and I don't really care. There are more important issues.
"Mormon" is a term that was applied to them. I don't think it was ever the preferred name for them by members of that church. They don't seem to realize that one can't have a name that implies that the beliefs of other religions is wrong and expect them to use it. "Latter day saints" is simply not acceptable for non-believers.

Ellen Brown

"Mormon" is a term that was applied to them. I don't think it was ever the preferred name for them by members of that church. They don't seem to realize that one can't have a name that implies that the beliefs of other religions is wrong and expect them to use it. "Latter day saints" is simply not acceptable for non-believers.

You probably don't realize that answering you truthfully is going to get me in lots of trouble and yelled at. "Mormon" is a sort of slang term coming from their "Book of Mormon". Why the leadership insist on making this an issue, is I think it is a bit of distraction to get people's mind off other areas of conflict. Complete obedience to "The Prophet" in Salt Lake City, is something that is drummed into them from infanthood. Those who rebel are subjected to all sorts of pressure from the Church and their Families.

I still believe lots of their Doctrine, but the blunt truth is the leadership do not want me. They've practiced a lot of patting me on the back, and kicking me in the butt at the same time. It is a proven method of brainwashing that other belief systems practice also. They practice multi level membership, which the Bible is strictly against, they persecuted me over an incident that was involuntary and not my fault and they are so locked into their way of seeing things that it will never get better.

If I am not shot at dawn and bled out, we can talk more.

Ellen Brown

Why would they have the Book of Mormon then?

Book of Mormon | LDS.org

The Book of Mormon is the whole reason their church exists. Briefly, it is the history of a Jewish family that left "Israel" around 400 BC. By traveling down the Arabian Peninsula, building a boat, and going through the South Pacific Islands, crossing the Pacific and landing somewhere in Central America or South America, they settled there and lasted around 800-1000 years. According to their beliefs, they formed the basis for those who inhabited the land there.

Joseph Smith is said to have discovered plates in up state New York and he translated them into the Book of Mormon.

As far as I am concerned, the BOM is as plausible as the rest of the Bible, but in my opinion, their leaders have done wrong things with the Doctrine, that hurt a lot of people.

I am sure that some Mormons will disagree with my brief synopsis and they are welcome to correct me. No crybaby stuff, OK?

Skwim

Veteran Member
You probably don't realize that answering you truthfully is going to get me in lots of trouble and yelled at. "Mormon" is a sort of slang term coming from their "Book of Mormon". Why the leadership insist on making this an issue, is I think it is a bit of distraction to get people's mind off other areas of conflict. Complete obedience to "The Prophet" in Salt Lake City, is something that is drummed into them from infanthood. Those who rebel are subjected to all sorts of pressure from the Church and their Families.

I still believe lots of their Doctrine, but the blunt truth is the leadership do not want me. They've practiced a lot of patting me on the back, and kicking me in the butt at the same time. It is a proven method of brainwashing that other belief systems practice also. They practice multi level membership, which the Bible is strictly against, they persecuted me over an incident that was involuntary and not my fault and they are so locked into their way of seeing things that it will never get better.

If I am not shot at dawn and bled out, we can talk more.
Just as a matter of interest I looked up the etymology of "Mormon":

Mormon (n.)
from Mormon, supposed prophet and author of "The Book of Mormon," explained by Smith as meaning more mon, from English more + Egyptian mon "good." As an adjective by 1842. Related: Mormonism. …​

And from Wikipedia

"The terms Mormon and Mormonite were first used in the 1830s as pejoratives to describe those who followed Joseph Smith and believed in the divine origin of the Book of Mormon. The term was soon adopted by Mormons themselves, however, and has lost its generally pejorative status.

The term Mormon is most often used to refer to members of the LDS Church. However, the term is also adopted by other adherents of Mormonism, including adherents of Mormon fundamentalism. The term Mormon is generally disfavored by other denominations of the Latter Day Saint movement, such as the Community of Christ, which have distinct histories from that of the LDS Church since Smith's death in 1844.

The term is particularly embraced by adherents of Mormon fundamentalism, who continue to believe in and practice plural marriage, a practice that the LDS Church officially abandoned in 1890. Seeking to distance itself from polygamy and Mormon fundamentalism, the LDS Church has taken the position that the term Mormon should only apply to the LDS Church and its members, and not other adherents who have adopted the term. The church cites the AP Stylebook, which states, "The term Mormon is not properly applied to the other Latter Day Saints churches that resulted from the split after [Joseph] Smith’s death." Despite the LDS Church's position, the term Mormon is widely used by journalists and non-journalists to refer to adherents of Mormon fundamentalism."

Could it be that more than anything President Nelson is trying to further disassociate the LDS church from Mormon fundamentalism by discontinuing the use of the term?

Ellen Brown said:
It is a mystery to me why they would do this, and I don't really care. There are more important issues.
She said just before making two more posts. ;)

Watchmen

Premium Member
They had a whole “I am Mormon” campaign not that long ago and also used the domain Mormon.org. Seems like they’re trying to rebrand, perhaps to appear more mainstream.

Ellen Brown

Just as a matter of interest I looked up the etymology of "Mormon":

Mormon (n.)
from Mormon, supposed prophet and author of "The Book of Mormon," explained by Smith as meaning more mon, from English more + Egyptian mon "good." As an adjective by 1842. Related: Mormonism. …​

And from Wikipedia

"The terms Mormon and Mormonite were first used in the 1830s as pejoratives to describe those who followed Joseph Smith and believed in the divine origin of the Book of Mormon. The term was soon adopted by Mormons themselves, however, and has lost its generally pejorative status.

The term Mormon is most often used to refer to members of the LDS Church. However, the term is also adopted by other adherents of Mormonism, including adherents of Mormon fundamentalism. The term Mormon is generally disfavored by other denominations of the Latter Day Saint movement, such as the Community of Christ, which have distinct histories from that of the LDS Church since Smith's death in 1844.

The term is particularly embraced by adherents of Mormon fundamentalism, who continue to believe in and practice plural marriage, a practice that the LDS Church officially abandoned in 1890. Seeking to distance itself from polygamy and Mormon fundamentalism, the LDS Church has taken the position that the term Mormon should only apply to the LDS Church and its members, and not other adherents who have adopted the term. The church cites the AP Stylebook, which states, "The term Mormon is not properly applied to the other Latter Day Saints churches that resulted from the split after [Joseph] Smith’s death." Despite the LDS Church's position, the term Mormon is widely used by journalists and non-journalists to refer to adherents of Mormon fundamentalism."

Could it be that more than anything President Nelson is trying to further disassociate the LDS church from Mormon fundamentalism by discontinuing the use of the term?

She said just before making two more posts. ;)

What ever. That I know of, there are still two towns that have Polygamists, Hilldale and Colorado City. One of those groups has an outbreak of serious birth defects going because of inbreeding. I have not looked into it in a while.

My own, not Mormon, family, I think ??? has some birth defects going on, but I don't know the specific causation. There is rumored to be other cases of polygamy around. I'm not one to criticise because, having been Muslim, polygamy is freely practiced, and how it happens in America, I do not know?

There was a group in the Creston Valley in Canada, but I think they were prosecuted.

Nothing really against them. I just wish they'd just be more open. Of course early Mormons were subjected to blatant violation of their 1st Amendment Rights, and one southern governor had a shoot on sight order on Mormons. So, in someways I can understand their secretive nature.

PruePhillip

The "restored Gospel" I find off putting.
The Mormon, church of Latter Day Saints, is a church which has
reverted to the Old Testament. It observes "special days and months"
and "temples built with hands" and an "earthly tabernacle" and other
symbols, rites and rituals that were done away in the Apostolic church.
But certainly, it isn't alone in doing that.

But frankly, by declaring the Church of Latter Day Saints is not "Mormon"
is going to get MORE people calling them Mormons. And why should it
matter? Jesus gave no name for his church and told the Jews they would
accept him more if he had a name. No name was given to the genuinely
restored church in one hundred years.

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Meh. If members of the Church genuinely do find the term derisory, I'm happy to stop using it. Not sure which of their preferred terms to use, though. Maybe just Latter Day Saints, but in that case it's perhaps a little unreasonable to specifically ask people not to abbreviate it.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

⚫

source

And the Lord sayeth, "You can call me Al..."

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Meh. If members of the Church genuinely do find the term derisory, I'm happy to stop using it. Not sure which of their preferred terms to use, though. Maybe just Latter Day Saints, but in that case it's perhaps a little unreasonable to specifically ask people not to abbreviate it.

LDS is too easily jumbled into LSD, at least that is what my eyes do quite often.