1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured The label “Mormon” Is Out

Discussion in 'Religious News' started by Skwim, Mar 5, 2019.

1. pcarl

pcarl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,501
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Merely the subject of polygamy.

2. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +15,253
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Joseph Smith appears to be just another con artist. How does one "sincerely read" the book of Mormon? Does that mean that one has to ignore the rather blatant factual errors? That one has to ignore the artificial aping of the King James translation? Most Christians do not think of your founder as a saint at all of any form. That is one of the reasons that they will very likely resist calling your group "Latter day saints".

3. shmogie

shmogie Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,391
    Religion:
    Christian
    Yes, I understand that women as well men are members are memberś of the 144,000 in your faith system.

You have the the Watchtower society, from which doctrinal changes are initiated. These are communicated through the Watchtower publication.

I have seen them going back decades, and obviously ideas were abandoned and new ones adopted.

My information, from three of your elders over a span of ten years, is that there is a small group of leaders, and I have been told are of ¨ the anointed¨, and all men, who meet and pray, and make doctrinal pronouncements believing they are inspired by God to do so.

I am very familiar with your faith, and have studied historically and doctrinally for a long time.

I have had many good friends from your denomination over the years.

There is much that I admire about your denomination, and I think you get a very bad rap from ignorant people.

Nevertheless, I believe that many of your doctrines are flawed, and that the mistranslating of the Bible is unconscionable.

I am, and will remain a Protestant, , who believes sola fide and sola scriptura are the only ways to salvation

4. Prestor John

Prestor John Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Religion:
    Latter-Day Saint
    We want to remind the world that we are the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

5. Prestor John

Ratings:
    +223
    Religion:
    Latter-Day Saint
    Sounds like you are projecting.

6. Prestor John

Ratings:
    +223
    Religion:
    Latter-Day Saint
    No, the Lord Jesus Christ is the reason the Church exists.

This confusion is most likely the main reason why we insist to no longer be referred to as "Mormons".
    No.

The family of Lehi were not Jews (descendants of Judah). They descended from Manasseh, the son of Joseph.

They also left Jerusalem at approximately 600 B.C.E, not 400 B.C.E.

I'm not sure you should talk about things you don't know.
    Not true.

We believe that they are "among" the ancestors of the Native Americans.

They have also been described as a "principle" ancestor, meaning one of most importance.

We do not teach or believe that the Nephites formed the "basis" of the ancient inhabitants of the Americas.
    Thank you for sharing your opinion.
    You think we are the one crying?

More projection.

7. Katzpur

Katzpur Not your average Mormon

Ratings:
    +5,553
    Religion:
    LDS Christian
    I don't think this is going well for you, Subduction Zone.

8. Katzpur

Ratings:
    +5,553
    Religion:
    LDS Christian
    Look, I'm not going to go into all of the errors and faulty assumptions you've made in your last paragraph, and I'm sorry you believe it's "offensive" to believe the "original Gospel" has been restored, but unless you can tell me which denomination today teaches the "original Gospel," I'm afraid we've hit a brick wall.

9. shmogie

shmogie Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,391
    Religion:
    Christian
    I never said your Bible was a paraphrase, I simply mentioned paraphrases as one type of Bible people use.

No, your Bible is not accurate, it has been adulterated.

There are extant many many ancient texts and scraps of texts written in the original Koine Greek.

These are the foundation documents of the New Testament.

In these texts, and in the oldest full translations, neither the tetragrammaton, or the word Jehovah used.

Nevertheless, those who devised your Bible replaced the original words for God, e.g. Lord, with Jehovah 237 times.

In addition, various words are added or manipulated so that the inference of the plurality of God doesn´t exist, e.g. John 1:1.

I can give you many more examples, OT and NT, but you know them as well as I.

Your translation committee, none of which was conversant with Koine Greek, with only one having a few classical Greek classes, took it upon themselves to change the original words of the Bible to fit their beliefs, and worse, proclaimed that the original translations and foundation documents were corrupted and in error.

To justify their molding the Bible to fit their needs, they declared the translations that Christendom uses all in error, and only theirs correct.

A grievous act in my mind.

10. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +15,253
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I think that this hits to close to home for you and you cannot afford to let yourself see the problem. Did you see @Skwim 's post?

11. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +15,253
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Do you have evidence that supports this claim? What translation do you prefer and why?

12. Jane.Doe

Jane.Doe Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Religion:
    Mormon Christian
    And of the 30,000+ different Christian denominations with contradictory doctrines, which one do you think is truly living/understanding the way the Bible says so? And why?

13. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity Veteran Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,061
    Religion:
    Liberal Christian
    A name change signifies a religion that can change. I have never heard of a major religion changing its name before.

14. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,333
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    The main intent seems to be facilitating the distinction between the mainstream LDS Church and the offshots that still favor polygamy.

Which is fair enough IMO, although I feel that, without a practical shortform offered, the results will probably not be very significant.

15. Katzpur

Ratings:
    +5,553
    Religion:
    LDS Christian
    But the point is, it didn't change its name. It has had the exact same name since 1838: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (A couple of minor things even Church members get wrong is that (1) the name of the Church actually includes the word "The" with an upper-case 'T'. "Latter-day" is hyphenated and the word "day" has a lower-case 'd', not an upper-case 'D'.)

16. Katzpur

Ratings:
    +5,553
    Religion:
    LDS Christian
    I think you're right. The offshoots will undoubtedly continue to be known as "Mormons." If news articles and television reporters continue to lump all of the denominations within the Latter Day Saint Movement together, and call all of their members "Mormons," there can't help but be some confusion. None of the others call their members "Latter-day Saints."

So, the request has been made that the Church be referred to (at least the first time it's mentioned in an article) as "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." Additional references within the same article may be to "The Church of Jesus Christ" or merely "The Church." Obviously, if the article is only about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, people listening or reading will know which church the shortened versions refer to. The request has also been made that the members of the Church be referred to as "Latter-day Saints" as opposed to "Mormons." We appreciate those who will comply with these requests, but I, for one, am not going to lose any sleep over it, or constantly correct people.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,458
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Because It's a mouthful.

Algebra.png

18. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,039
    Well, good for you.

19. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,039
    You have a very twisted way of addressing reality; purporting to make yourself superior my thinly veiled put downs. I'm done with this.

20. Watchmen

Watchmen Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +638
    It’s not changing it’s name.