• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Iran Deal: Good, Bad, Huh … ?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I need more time as I need to get some input from the nuclear scientists as to whether this would actually work. Also, I would like to hear from the nay-sayer politicians as to what's their supposed solution would be if this is voted down.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Does anyone really believe Iran will not try to make a nuclear bomb then use it?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Sure, but it is not even a matter of belief. It is rather of honor. We can't presupose that they will.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Does anyone really believe Iran will not try to make a nuclear bomb then use it?

Not me, I'm confident that they are developing a nuclear weapon and will use it.
The thing about nukes is that you don't have to explode them to use them. Just having the credible threat available gives you a lot of power. The mere ability to close the straight of Hormuz no matter how many battleships or aircraft carriers the USA sends is a game changer. So is a credible counter to Israeli nukes. When Iran gets their bomb the global balance of power will shift a good deal in Iran's favor. They know that and I don't think anything can be done to stop them.

Tom

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Not me, I'm confident that they are developing a nuclear weapon and will use it.
The thing about nukes is that you don't have to explode them to use them. Just having the credible threat available gives you a lot of power. The mere ability to close the straight of Hormuz no matter how many battleships or aircraft carriers the USA sends is a game changer. So is a credible counter to Israeli nukes. When Iran gets their bomb the global balance of power will shift a good deal in Iran's favor. They know that and I don't think anything can be done to stop them.

Tom

I fear you are right. Nothing will stop them. They have the blessings of the U.S. and some 22 other nations.

NoX

Its hundreds of times more likely to Israel using nuclear bombs on people. All countries have right to have these weapons, having these weapons by every countries is the guarantee of noone will dare to use these weapons. As Turkiye we are also working hard for nuclear power together Japan and Russia.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Of course they'll use it.
Suppose they told Riyahd "cut your oil output or something very bad will happen to your oil loading ports. And nobody can do anything about it without risking nuclear war."
Tom
How can you be so sure they'd use it, when international repercussions would be catastrophic? If they used against an ally, they'd know we'd attack them. If they attacked anyone else, they'd know that the currently ending sanctions would be a cake walk compared to the purple rain which would ensue.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
How can you be so sure they'd use it, when international repercussions would be catastrophic? If they used against an ally, they'd know we'd attack them. If they attacked anyone else, they'd know that the currently ending sanctions would be a cake walk compared to the purple rain which would ensue.

Using them does not mean exploding one.
How long has the USA used ours without exploding one? Why do we continue to support the middle easts first nuclear power, Israel? Why haven't launched a truly devastating attack lately?
Because having such a weapon gives you huge power as a threat. You don't have to explode one to project that power.
A nuclear tipped Iran could just threaten to launch an attack on Saudi Arabia and the USA would have to consider the possibility of living without mideast oil and Tel Aviv being reduced to a glass ashtray when deciding how to respond.

The USA has gotten accustomed to bullying non-nuclear countries and that isn't a long term strategy any more.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Using them does not mean exploding one.
How long has the USA used ours without exploding one?
Are you referring to MAD?
Why do we continue to support the middle easts first nuclear power, Israel?
They have a whole lotta political power here.
Why haven't launched a truly devastating attack lately?
Because having such a weapon gives you huge power as a threat. You don't have to explode one to project that power.
A nuclear tipped Iran could just threaten to launch an attack on Saudi Arabia and the USA would have to consider the possibility of living without mideast oil and Tel Aviv being reduced to a glass ashtray when deciding how to respond.
The USA has gotten accustomed to bullying non-nuclear countries and that isn't a long term strategy any more.
Tom
No doubt Iran no longer wants to be bullied, with Americastan & Israelistan continually threatening invasion.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
No doubt Iran no longer wants to be bullied, with Americastan & Israelistan continually threatening invasion.
Iran has much higher aspirations than that.
They want to be a global power on par with the USA and China and Germany.
That's why they will accept the pain of short term economic sanctions so readily. In the long term, they will win and they know it.
The USA is their main competitor, and it is descending into a spiral of quarterly profit reports, election cycles, religious arguments about queers and abortion.
Tom

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I do not understand what you're saying here.

In my case, that it is both premature to assume that Iran will necessarily build and deploy nuclear weapons if allowed to, and quite dangerous and dishonorable to deny them the chance to show good will.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Iran has much higher aspirations than that.
They want to be a global power on par with the USA and China and Germany.
That's why they will accept the pain of short term economic sanctions so readily. In the long term, they will win and they know it.
The USA is their main competitor, and it is descending into a spiral of quarterly profit reports, election cycles, religious arguments about queers and abortion.
Tom
Somehow i just don't know that Iran is quite that formidable.