• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Human Jesus

Polaris

Rejected said:
I'm sorry. I really dont' know much about the LDS faith, so I'll plead ignorance on that and ask you to elighten me on what your beleifs are. For the most part the brand of christianity I've been exposed to teaches that the unsaved will burn in hell for eternity. There's not a whole lot of Mormons in southern Ggeorgia.
Fair enough. There are many good websites where you can quickly familiarize yourself with our beliefs (www.lds.org, www.mormon.org). If you have more specific questions feel free to start a thread in the LDS forum, and myself and other LDS forum members would be happy to respond.

Rejected said:
Because, by definition, something that is perfect is whole, complete, it needs nothing.
If Gods creation made him happy he could not be perfect because a perfect being would need nothing to make him happy, he would already be perfectly happy.
If god needed his creation to make him happy he would have been lacking, and therefore not perfect. And the definition of the Christian God is a perfect divine being.
I don't think that God needs his creations to make him happy, but I do believe that they add to his glory and happiness. We apparently have different interpretations of what it means for God to be perfect. To me that means he is perfectly wise, just, righteous, merciful, and loving. To me that does not mean that he can't experience more joy and fulfillment. There is not a cap to how much happiness one can have. I believe that God's glory and happiness are always increasing as his creations increase and his children progress.

gnostic

The Lost One
Hi James

I never heard of Adoptionalism and Monophysite before. I didn't know that whether Jesus was a god or not, had names to each concept.

Let's make it so that I would understand.

Does a god becoming a human, as in "incarnation", would be label as Monophysite? Is that correct?

Nehustan

Greetings Red Orchestra...LOL....I heard that cells had been reactivated :)

(P.S. Deleted posts....and I thought we could have some friendly banter. I need a rest.....umm....time for bed ;))

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
sojourner said:
Or, in that particular statement, is the creed only speaking about Jesus' divine nature?

The Creed, as I said, speaks only of the begottenness of God the Son. It refers to the Incarnate Christ as 'became incarnate from the Virgin Mary, and was made man'. You're perceived objection is due to a misunderstanding of the Creed. In the Greek, in fact, it is absolutely clear that begetting and proceeding refer to the Eternal and not temporal origins of the Son and Holy Spirit. This is one major reason why we so vehemently oppose the filioque even when more moderate RC apologists claim that it means 'through the Son', because that confuses temporal and eternal and hence distorts the plain meaning of the Creed.

James

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Polaris said:
Hi James. In part, you're right... this detail likely isn't going to have much affect on our salvation, but the correct answer to this has important implications. If Katzpur and I are right -- that part of Jesus' genetic makeup was actually inherited from God making them literally Father and Son -- then two important points of religious debate are resolved: 1) God is indeed Jesus' father and the two are separate beings, and 2) God must be a physical being. Any discussion that might help shed light on the nature of God and his relationship to Christ and us is important in my opinion.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but the LDS idea of the nature of God is so far outside the Christian tradition that I'm afraid that I can't even seriously entertain it. Nobody, not even the heretics to my knowledge, ever posited such an idea in the history of the Church and, hence, I can do nothing but reject the idea right from the outset. Given that proviso, there really is absolutely no benefit at all that we can gain from speculating on this matter.

James

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
gnostic said:
Hi James

I never heard of Adoptionalism and Monophysite before. I didn't know that whether Jesus was a god or not, had names to each concept.

Let's make it so that I would understand.

Does a god becoming a human, as in "incarnation", would be label as Monophysite? Is that correct?

No. Both Adoptionalism and Monophysitism are ancient heresies. They take their place amongst the major Christological and Triadological heresies that caused conflict in the early Church. Here's a list of some of the major heresies and what they believed (very briefly):

Arianism - God the Son was a creature, not part of a Trinity. He is in effect a lesser god who was Incarnate as man.
Docetism - Christ was God but only appeared to be a man - His humanity was illusory.
Adoptionalism - Christ was just a man but He was adopted by God (usually at His baptism)
Sabellianism/Modalism - There is no Trinity, only a single monad. Father, Son and Holy Spirit are modes (or masks) that He uses for specific purposes.
Monophysitism - Christ was not fully God and fully man, but a kind of Divine/human hybrid. In effect, His nature was neither man nor God, but demigod.
Nestorianism - the belief that Christ was two persons rather than one person with two natures (I've never managed to get my head round that one)
Monothelitism - (A compromise with monophysitism) the belief that Christ had two natures but only a Divine will.

Hope this helps (note that none of these are correct theology.

James

Mystic-als

JamesThePersian said:
Arianism - God the Son was a creature, not part of a Trinity. He is in effect a lesser god who was Incarnate as man.
Docetism - Christ was God but only appeared to be a man - His humanity was illusory.
Adoptionalism - Christ was just a man but He was adopted by God (usually at His baptism)
Sabellianism/Modalism - There is no Trinity, only a single monad. Father, Son and Holy Spirit are modes (or masks) that He uses for specific purposes.
Monophysitism - Christ was not fully God and fully man, but a kind of Divine/human hybrid. In effect, His nature was neither man nor God, but demigod.
Nestorianism - the belief that Christ was two persons rather than one person with two natures (I've never managed to get my head round that one)
Monothelitism - (A compromise with monophysitism) the belief that Christ had two natures but only a Divine will.

Wow.. Thanks JamesThePersian

Simon Gnosis

JamesThePersian said:
No. Both Adoptionalism and Monophysitism are ancient heresies. They take their place amongst the major Christological and Triadological heresies that caused conflict in the early Church. Here's a list of some of the major heresies and what they believed (very briefly):

Hope this helps (note that none of these are correct theology.

James

Dam I dont agree with any of the above, I 'believe' (and also view scientifically) Jesus of Nazarath was A HUMAN BEING *IF* he existed at all, which seems likely, lots of historical evidence indicates he did.
I think he may have been a spectacular human being, capable of currently unexplainable phenomena.
Such people did and still do exist...they are close to the divine see?
Jesus more than perhaps any before, he taught us to learn for ourselves about our reality ie communicate with God personally and directly and to use the fine minds the creator 'allowed' (set provident for) evolution to bestow us with.
Well...there it is.

Smoke

Done here.
Polaris said:
Does it suggest anywhere in scripture that Jesus was fully human and fully divine?
It doesn't say it outright, but I can't imagine any reason why scripture should be the sole basis of theology or anything else.

Polaris said:
What does that even mean anyway?
Do you really want to know? ;)

There's no brief answer. This post is a condensed version of my original response, which was too long to go into one post.

Basically, the early Jesus communities and Christ communities about which we know anything fall into three categories, which we may call, for purposes of convenience (sacrificing a little precision), Christian, Ebionite, and Gnostic.

Gnosticism was (and is) extremely diverse. It's really a pre-Christian tradition, some forms of which were able to find meaning in Christ and adapt the Christ-myth to Gnostic thought. It's rash to try to make a brief summary of Gnosticism both because it's so diverse and because most forms of it have an extremely complex theology. Gnostic theology makes Christian theology look as simple as a child's alphabet book. So I'm going way out on a limb here, but for the sake of brevity we can say that those Gnostics who were interested in Christ regarded him as a higher emanation of the divine than humans are. The human race was created by the Demiurge, whom we can think of here as sort of a defective emanation of the divine. In this way of thinking, Christ's humanity, if any, is pretty much irrelevant, and some Gnostics made a distinction between Jesus and the Christ. Understand that I'm simplifying to the point of being offensive to Gnostics, here, but I'm trying to avoid writing a book. ;)

Moving on to the Ebionites: They didn't consider Jesus God at all, but just a man. An exceptional man, to be sure; for the main body of them he was the prophet promised by Moses:
And the LORD said unto me [Moses], They have well spoken that which they have spoken. I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.​
In Christian -- i.e., Pauline -- thought, there are different ways of looking at the person of Jesus.

For Arian Christians, Jesus was not God but a pre-existent creation of God who was incarnate as a man. For Trinitarian Christians, Jesus was the Second Person of the Trinity. This is the first really important division in Christian thought.

For Trinitarians, the question is, what does it mean that Jesus is God? What are the implications for his humanity? Is Jesus really entirely human?

For Nestorians, Christ and God were distinct entities. The Second Person of the Trinity was to be distinguished from the son of Mary, and one could not pretend that God had been born or shared any of other universal experiences of humanity. God was way above and beyond such mundane human existence, and the man Jesus Christ was a sort of vessel for the Second Person of the Trinity. So it was impermissible to call Mary the Theotokos (Birthgiver of God). Nestorians called her instead the Christotokos (Birthgiver of Christ). For the Orthodox-Catholics, this was intolerable. Naturally, they accepted that there was nothing heretical about the title Christotokos in and of itself; what was heretical was the belief that Mary was not the Theotokos. For the Orthodox-Catholics the Incarnation meant that God actually had been born as the child Jesus; Mary's son was not just a vessel of divinity but was actually divine himself -- he was the Second Person of the Trinity. To deny that Mary is the Theotokos, or to deny that she is the Mother of God, (in Orthodox-Catholic thought, she bears both titles) is to deny the Incarnation. This is the reason, by the way, that traditional Orthodox and Catholic Christians are so shocked by the Protestant refusal to call Mary the Mother of God. They see it -- quite rightly, in my view -- as a refusal to commit to the doctrine of the Incarnation.

(It should be noted that the surviving body of "Nestorian" Christians, the Assyrian Church of the East, is not committed to a full-blown Nestorian theology, and denies that Nestorios himself was, either.)

The next big controversy was between the Monophysites and the Dyophysites, and the question was, What is the Nature of Christ? The Dyophysites (Dual Naturists) -- what we may think of the as Orthodox-Catholic party -- said that Christ had both a human nature and a divine nature. The Monophysites (Single Naturists) said that he had but one nature, the divine nature.

For some Monophysites, Christ was in effect a man whose soul was divine. They didn't say soul; they said nous, and that's not the same thing, really. You could just as well say mind, soul-mind, or reason. Nous doesn't translate very neatly into English; but I'm trying phrase this to mean something to people used to thinking in Protestant terms.

Other Monophysites said that Christ may technically have had both a human nature and a divine nature, but the human nature was so insignificant in comparison to the divine nature that it was meaningless to think of him as having anything but the divine nature. Say an Icelandic settler in Newfoundland a thousand years ago fathered a child with a Native woman, and that child remained in Newfoundland and has living descendants today. And say one of those descendants is otherwise a "full-blood" native, with no futher admixture of non-Native ancestry. For these Monophysites, saying Christ has both a human nature and a divine nature would be even more preposterous than saying that Native person with one Icelandic ancestor a thousand years ago is both Native and Icelandic. For them, the human nature doesn't amount to enough to count.

So there were differing currents in Monophysite thought, but they agreed in rejecting the idea that we should think of Christ as having both a human nature and a divine nature.

The Dyophsysites, or Orthodox-Catholics, could not accept this rejection of the human nature of Christ. They maintained that for the Incarnation to mean anything, Jesus must have a complete human nature and a complete divine nature. If he was anything less than fully human and fully divine, the Incarnation was meaningless. This is the position today of the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Churches.

The Oriental Orthodox Churches, on the hand, embrace Miaphysism, which is the teaching that Christ has one nature which is both fully human and fully divine.

To most Protestants (and even to some Orthodox and Catholics), the distinction between Dyophyism and Miaphysism is all but meaningless. Arguing about whether Christ united the full divine nature and the full human nature in one person, or, alternatively, united full divinity and full humanity in one nature, seems to be splitting hairs. Nevertheless, it's an important distinction to theologians. But we'll leave the discussion to them, because we've outlined, in broad strokes, the main ways of thinking about Christ.

James mentions Modalism, which is an ancient idea revived by some present-day Protestant sects, and Monothelitism, which was an ingenious attempt to compromise between Diophysism and Monophysim, but never really got off the ground. Monothelitism was popular with some theologians, but never really won any popular support, and for our purposes we here can assume that the will(s) of Christ go hand in hand with the nature(s) of Christ.

Polaris said:
I believe the important point is that he possessed both human and divine qualities: human so that he could fully understand our trials and sufferings and lead by example, divine so that he could do for us what we could not possibly do for ourselves.
All Pauline Christians, even the Arians, have believed that Jesus possesses both human and divine qualities -- the Arians less so than the rest. The question is, what does that mean? That's one of the main questions that has exercised Christian theologians over the ages.

Polaris said:
If Katzpur and I are right -- that part of Jesus' genetic makeup was actually inherited from God making them literally Father and Son -- then two important points of religious debate are resolved: 1) God is indeed Jesus' father and the two are separate beings, and 2) God must be a physical being.
Well, that's one of the things that so original about Mormonism, and one of the things that makes it so shocking to other Christians. Mormonism is the first really radical innovation in Christian theology in many centuries.

On the face of it, it may not seem so unthinkable that God the Father is a physical being. After all, Trinitarian Christians must believe, in light of the Resurrection, that God the Son has a body. But the idea that God the Father has a body is such a radical departure from traditional Christian thought that most Christians can't bring themselves to consider Mormons Christians at all. (Though that's not the only reason.) From the point of view of Orthodox, Catholic, and traditional Protestant Christians, you might as well embrace Satanism or Norse heathenism. A Catholic or Orthodox Christian might not think that a Jehovah's Witness is a "real" Christian, but he'll think the Jehovah's Witness is far closer to being a real Christian than a Mormon is.

Non-Mormon Christians don't even have any frame of reference for discussing theology with Mormons. All they can say, in effect, is "Where did you get that?" Then you say, "Well, God revealed this to the Prophet Joseph Smith," and they say, "Sure. Whatever. Get out of my house." There's just not enough common ground for a discussion.

Polaris

MidnightBlue said:
It doesn't say it outright, but I can't imagine any reason why scripture should be the sole basis of theology or anything else.
I agree, but scripture is the foundation of our common ground.

Thanks for the synopsis of the different Christ communities, I found it quite interesting. It seems LDS theology finds some common ground with bits and pieces of several ideas that you presented.

Like Arians we agree that Christ was a pre-existant creation of God. We believe we are all spiritual sons and daughters of God. Christ, the firstborn of God's spirit children, progressed more than the rest of us in that pre-existant rhealm and emerged as a member of the Godhead. He was chosen to be the one to come to earth as the Only Begotten of the Father in the flesh, and become our Savior.

Like Nestorians we believe that they were and are distinct entities, however we believe that Christ, as the member of the Godhead, shared the title of God, and so calling Mary the Birthgiver of God is not an inaccurate statment.

Like the Dyophysites we believe that Christ came to earth and possessed both a human and a divine nature.

MidnightBlue said:
All Pauline Christians, even the Arians, have believed that Jesus possesses both human and divine qualities -- the Arians less so than the rest. The question is, what does that mean? That's one of the main questions that has exercised Christian theologians over the ages.
Right. Maybe its just sematics but I have problem with the notion of fully human and fully divine. It seems to me to be contradictory. Either a being is fully human, fully divine, or has characteristics of both. In my understanding Christ, while on earth, fell into the latter. He had certain human qualities: he got hungry, he experienced suffering and pain, he was susceptible to temptation and death. If He was fully divine he wouldn't be susceptible to such things. Yet he did possess certain divine qualities as well: he never once gave in to temptation, he could control the elements, he was able to bear the sins of the world, and he ultimately had power over death. After his resurrection I believe that he became fully divine.

MidnightBlue said:
On the face of it, it may not seem so unthinkable that God the Father is a physical being. After all, Trinitarian Christians must believe, in light of the Resurrection, that God the Son has a body. But the idea that God the Father has a body is such a radical departure from traditional Christian thought that most Christians can't bring themselves to consider Mormons Christians at all.
Who defines traditional Christian thought? Are you referring to the Catholic/Orthodox tradition? In light of all the different ideas that were clearly present during the time period can we have any real confidence that "traditional Christian thought" is correct? This to me is why I look more to the scriptures rather than to history or tradition. What did the apostles and prophets actually teach? While there is definitely value in considering history and tradition, how can we have any confidence that the tradition that won out represents the pure and complete truths taught and understood by Christ and the apostles?

MidnightBlue said:
Non-Mormon Christians don't even have any frame of reference for discussing theology with Mormons. All they can say, in effect, is "Where did you get that?" Then you say, "Well, God revealed this to the Prophet Joseph Smith," and they say, "Sure. Whatever. Get out of my house." There's just not enough common ground for a discussion.
Interesting point. I find it ironic that so many Christians refute the necessity and even the possibility of a living prophet when nearly all of Christian theology and scripture rely on the very existance and veracity of prophets and revelation. While we LDS do believe in a living prophet and continuing revelation, most of the truths we hold to are clearly supported in the Bible. Take God as a physical being for instance. In the context of the physical creation of the world, Genesis states that God made man "in his image" and "after his likeness". Why should we assume that the context changed from that of physical creation to some sort of figurative or spiritual connotation. To further the argument, it's later recorded that Adam begot sons in "his own image" and "after his likeness". Again it seems clear to me that this at least includes a reference to physical likeness. I realize that there is one whole verse that says "God is spirit", but I would argue that given the context (that we are to worship in spirit), that doesn't contradict the idea that God, definitely spiritual in nature, has a physical body. Then there's the many instances where Christ refers to God as his Father and as himself as the Only Begotten of the Father, but tradition says we're to interpret those statements figuratively, otherwise it would contradict other parts of tradition and that's just not possible. I honestly believe tradition got it wrong. Christ literally is God's son, he is the Only Begotten of the Father in the flesh, and God is a perfect, glorified, physical being, similar to what Christ became upon being resurrected.

You're an intelligent person and you seem to have a relatively objective view of things. Do you see our position as really being that far out? I'm interested in hearing your honest assessment.

gnostic

The Lost One
Thanks James and Midnight Blue. :)

You have both added quite a bit to this thread. A frubal to each of you.

Smoke

Done here.
Polaris said:
Who defines traditional Christian thought? Are you referring to the Catholic/Orthodox tradition?
Normally that's exactly what I'd mean if I said traditional Christian thought, but what I had in mind here is that Mormonism is radically different from anything Christians have ever believed before. Jehovah's Witnesses, for example, can find parallels to their theology in ancient Christian groups. Mormons can't do that. Your theology is a complete departure from anything Christians have ever imagined before.

Polaris said:
In light of all the different ideas that were clearly present during the time period can we have any real confidence that "traditional Christian thought" is correct?
Well, you're asking the wrong person about that. I find it interesting, but I don't believe that Christian thought, traditional or otherwise, is correct. I do have criteria by which I evaluate religions, but those criteria have more to do with ethical and esthetic concerns than with matters of "fact."

Polaris said:
Do you see our position as really being that far out? I'm interested in hearing your honest assessment.
Honestly? I think it's all metaphor for something incomprehensible. You got a myth, the Catholics got a myth, the Orthodox got a myth, all God's chillen got a myth. I don't see it in terms of fact or even plausibility. To me, it's a question of how satisfying a myth as myth, and how successful it is as a metaphor for the Mystery.

I don't think your myth is necessarily a bad one. Mormon myth -- understand, I don't see myth as a negative term -- is certainly no less plausible than that of Norse heathenism, which is a religion I admire. I'm sure you realize I don't think Joseph Smith was really a prophet, but -- and I really don't mean this in a negative way -- I do think he was pretty ingenious to come up with. It obviously resonates with a lot of people.

It doesn't with me, though. I see Mormonism as one of a number of developments in the peculiar religious atmosphere that prevailed in 19th-century Britain and America, an atmosphere that gave rise to Millerism (forerunner of the Seventh-Day Adventists and the Jehovah's Witnesses), the Stone-Campbell Restoration movement (which gave rise to the Churches of Christ, Disciples of Christ, and Christian Churches), Christian Science, Dispensationalism, spiritualism, Theosophy, and Mormonism. To me, all these superficially dissimilar movements are variations on the same theme, and I see them as successful only to the extent they've been able to reinvent themselves and break away from their roots. I don't think the spirituality cultivated by these movements is healthy or even very spiritual. Dispensationalism, in particular, is something that has had disastrous consequences not only in its followers' spiritual lives, but on the ground, in the political realm.

I see the Orthodox myth as more successful, but not because the Orthodox myth is literally true and yours is not. I don't believe either one is factual. But I see Orthodox spirituality as much healthier. Their spirituality is apophatic; they know they're dealing with Mystery, and they know their dogma is -- when everything is said and done -- little more than a metaphorical way of speaking about Mystery. Mormonism and the other 19th-century movements believe their dogma is literally (and sometimes even objectively) true. That, to me, is the real danger.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
This thread got me to thinking about something. If Jesus and God are the same, and Jesus was born of the Holy Spirit, why did he have to be baptised? And isn't that when the Holy Spirit filled him?

And the other thing I was thinking about was didn't Jesus steal a donkey so he could ride into town and fulfill a prophecy?

I do not mean to disrespect the son of God in any way, I was just pointing out his 'human' side.