• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Human Jesus

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I suspect the vast majority of Christians believe that, in addition to being fully God, Jesus Christ was also fully human. When we say that, though, what do we really mean? Did Jesus just look like a human or was in human in every way? Did He have forty-six chromosomes, a double strang of twenty-three? If so, where did He get them? I suppose He got one strand from His mother. What about the other strand? Did He get them from His Father? Did His Father (a spirit, in the minds of most Christians) have chromosomes, too?

Smoke

Done here.
Katzpur said:
I suspect the vast majority of Christians believe that, in addition to being fully God, Jesus Christ was also fully human. When we say that, though, what do we really mean? Did Jesus just look like a human or was in human in every way?
The idea that Jesus merely appeared to be human is considered a heresy by traditional Christians.

Katzpur said:
Did He have forty-six chromosomes, a double strang of twenty-three? If so, where did He get them? I suppose He got one strand from His mother. What about the other strand? Did He get them from His Father? Did His Father (a spirit, in the minds of most Christians) have chromosomes, too?
The myth of the Virgin Birth had resonance for ancient Christians, but this is an example of what happens when we try to factualize myth. Jesus received half his chromosomes from his father, who was undoubtedly a very human male. I'll leave it to those who insist on a factual Virgin Birth to argue about whether Jesus was a genetic clone of his mother or inherited divine chromosomes from his non-human father, but I don't think it's the kind of discussion that would show Christianity in a good light.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Hi Kathryn!:)

When we say that, though, what do we really mean? Did Jesus just look like a human or was in human in every way?

Christ had the Holy Spirit living within Him. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit. And he received the downpouring of the Holy Spirit later in his life.

Was he human? Absolutely. He was flesh like you and I but spiritually He was VERY different.

Did He have forty-six chromosomes, a double strang of twenty-three? If so, where did He get them? I suppose He got one strand from His mother. What about the other strand? Did He get them from His Father? Did His Father (a spirit, in the minds of most Christians) have chromosomes, too?

I have no idea whether or not the Holy Spirit has chromosomes or not and I really don't think it's much as an issue. To believe that Christ was conceived by the Holy Spirit is to believe in a miracle.

Can you scientifically prove the Immaculate Conception? No.

It's not a scientific concept. It's a faith concept.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
dawny0826 said:

Actually, a virgin could be artificially inseminated.

I have always thought (or at least, since taking sex ed). That the virgin birth could have been a result of 'dry humping'. Heavy petting and such can lead to pregnancy, even if there is no penetration. Since the people of that time had no idea that this could happen, they could have considered the virgin birth to be something 'not of this world'.

ProfLogic

Katzpur said:
I suspect the vast majority of Christians believe that, in addition to being fully God, Jesus Christ was also fully human. When we say that, though, what do we really mean? Did Jesus just look like a human or was in human in every way? Did He have forty-six chromosomes, a double strang of twenty-three? If so, where did He get them? I suppose He got one strand from His mother. What about the other strand? Did He get them from His Father? Did His Father (a spirit, in the minds of most Christians) have chromosomes, too?

This a good question for believers, some say the story of jesus comes from the pagan religion the Birth of Tammuz. If you believe the marketers of the image of jesus he suddenly became caucasian. They are still debating how jesus actually looked like. Its only been 2000 years so its hard to believe that humanity have evolved genetically speaking. Christians might say this is blasphemous but what if jesus was actually born out of wedlock. It would be hard to determine since up to this point there are no know living descendants of jesus unless the Davinci code is correct. Personaly I don't care how he looked like because in some ways according to the story he had done good but in then end killed himself... People call it self sacrifice, I call it suicide.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
EnhancedSpirit said:

I have always thought (or at least, since taking sex ed). That the virgin birth could have been a result of 'dry humping'. Heavy petting and such can lead to pregnancy, even if there is no penetration. Since the people of that time had no idea that this could happen, they could have considered the virgin birth to be something 'not of this world'.

For those who believe in the Immaculate Conception (as I do)...it's not a matter of science...it's a matter of faith.

Even if what you've posted is/was a possibility...you can't scientifically prove that this happened. No one can.

One either believes or disbelieves that Christ was born of the Holy Spirit.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
ProfLogic said:
This a good question for believers, some say the story of jesus comes from the pagan religion the Birth of Tammuz. If you believe the marketers of the image of jesus he suddenly became caucasian. They are still debating how jesus actually looked like. Its only been 2000 years so its hard to believe that humanity have evolved genetically speaking. Christians might say this is blasphemous but what if jesus was actually born out of wedlock. It would be hard to determine since up to this point there are no know living descendants of jesus unless the Davinci code is correct. Personaly I don't care how he looked like because in some ways according to the story he had done good but in then end killed himself... People call it self sacrifice, I call it suicide.

Do you think Christians actually CARE what Christ looked like?

ProfLogic

dawny0826 said:
For those who believe in the Immaculate Conception (as I do)...it's not a matter of science...it's a matter of faith.

Even if what you've posted is/was a possibility...you can't scientifically prove that this happened. No one can.

You have to admit, in today's society the immaculate conception has one word associated with it when it happens......pre marital sex...with possibly failed protection.

Smoke

Done here.
dawny0826 said:
The Immaculate Conception has nothing to do with the Virgin Birth of Jesus. The Immaculate Conception is the teaching that the Virgin Mary was, from the moment of her conception, free from original sin.

SoyLeche

meh...
ProfLogic said:
You have to admit, in today's society the immaculate conception has one word associated with it when it happens......pre marital sex...with possibly failed protection.
That's 3 words

ProfLogic

dawny0826 said:

In it happens today its categorized as pre-marital sex wih a failed protection.

ProfLogic

EnhancedSpirit said:

Maybe an alien came to earth then and performed the delicate operation..lol

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
dawny0826 said:
Hi Kathryn!:)

Christ had the Holy Spirit living within Him. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit. And he received the downpouring of the Holy Spirit later in his life.

Was he human? Absolutely. He was flesh like you and I but spiritually He was VERY different.

I have no idea whether or not the Holy Spirit has chromosomes or not and I really don't think it's much as an issue. To believe that Christ was conceived by the Holy Spirit is to believe in a miracle.

Ok, you admit that you believe JC was human, just like you and me.
Humans have 46 chromosomes. 23 from mom - 23 from dad
If Jesus was Human, as you said you believe, he has to have 46 chromosomes.
23 from Mary, no problem. But since Joseph had never slept with Mary where did the other 23 come from?

It is an issue because its one more ridiculous claim by the church who feed this and other rubbish to people who are too young to examine all the information.
To believe that Christ was conceived by the "Holy Spirit" is not a measure of faith, it’s a measure of how far you can throw reason and logic out the window when it comes religion and reality.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Rejected said:
To believe that Christ was conceived by the "Holy Spirit" is not a measure of faith, it’s a measure of how far you can throw reason and logic out the window when it comes religion and reality.

Actually, it is a faith concept, as much as you would like to make it into something 'worldly' and 'scientific' and 'man-made', you can't for the people who believe.

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
beckysoup61 said:
Actually, it is a faith concept, as much as you would like to make it into something 'worldly' and 'scientific' and 'man-made', you can't for the people who believe.

I know, and it saddens me.
It saddens me to think that some people refuse to examine what they believe with the cold light of reason and put those beliefs to the test to find out whether or not they are actually possible.

To believe in the Christian religion, and any other which holds doctrines like the virgin birth, the flood, burning bushes, parting seas, etc.; one must be willing to believe in fairy tales and magic.

I understand that not every story in the bible is taken literally, but the virgin birth is central to the whole concept of Jesus Christ. And if people believe that a human can be born without copulation, asexually, then where does it end?

It’s like telling a five-year-old something that there is no Santa Claus. They stick their fingers in their ears and go “la la la la” because they don’t want their precious little fantasy, which brings them so much joy, to unravel, even if it is false.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Rejected said:
I know, and it saddens me.
It saddens me to think that some people refuse to examine what they believe with the cold light of reason and put those beliefs to the test to find out whether or not they are actually possible.

To believe in the Christian religion, and any other which holds doctrines like the virgin birth, the flood, burning bushes, parting seas, etc.; one must be willing to believe in fairy tales and magic.

I understand that not every story in the bible is taken literally, but the virgin birth is central to the whole concept of Jesus Christ. And if people believe that a human can be born without copulation, asexually, then where does it end?

It’s like telling a five-year-old something that there is no Santa Claus. They stick their fingers in their ears and go “la la la la” because they don’t want their precious little fantasy, which brings them so much joy, to unravel, even if it is false.
I don't need science to test if my God is real. My God is science, my God is geography, my God is religion, my God is nature. My God created all of these things, and through them all I see God. That's the problem with atheists like yourself, you want God to 'prove' Himself to you and that's just silly.

ProfLogic

beckysoup61 said:
That's the problem with atheists like yourself, you want God to 'prove' Himself to you and that's just silly.

I am not an atheist and I am asking to it to prove it himself. I already encounter it and said I don't need you in my life cause you are nothing without humanity.

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
I am not an atheist and I am asking to it to prove it himself. I already encounter it and said I don't need you in my life cause you are nothing without humanity.

I would say it the other way around, that "Humanity is NOTHING without God"

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Katzpur said:

I find it slightly strange/amusing that you should be concerned over chromosomes (please don't take offence); I am sure that jesus was as human as you or I (but with the connection to God 'open' unlike us); I don't honestly believe that God would have a problem 'producing' a human being, as it was he who breathed life on Earth............