• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Holy Land: one-state solution for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
It basically means the end of Israel as we know it. The alternative is a "two-state" solution, which is impossible due to the settlements Israel itself founded.

So let me explain my thoughts:
* Israel cannot expect to hold on to settlements on Palestinian territory.
* It is impossible to forcibly evacuate 500,000 people from their homes. Israel lacks the physical (police/army) and financial means to deal with a mission like that.
* If a two-state solution is made, and all Israelis leave Palestinian territory, Israel will be a tiny little state, and the distance from Qalqilya to the sea is just 13 kilometers. Israel will not survive a single war with the Arabs.
* Israel will hugely benefit from integrating as part of the Arabic world. Throughout the ages, Jews have lived under Islamic rule (note that this will not be the case here - it will be a secular state) for many centuries, generally with more success than those who lived under Christian rule.

I personally think they would be mad to share a state,they have survived 5 wars with the Arabs so far so i think they should stand their ground,besides they are not alone and have allies.

Israel should keep its identity and should reject a one state solution IMO,they've made a good job on their own,i see nothing in a one state solution for Israel other than more opportunities for its enemies.

The economic benefits of peace with the Arab world are huge. Trade, education, tourism, and more.

They have this already

It means the end of Israel - and the beginning of something much better.

Then its a good reason to reject it,why should it be the end of Israel,why not the end of Palestine

Daniel B

I don't need a user title
Then its a good reason to reject it,why should it be the end of Israel,why not the end of Palestine

It's the end of Palestine as well. Though I guess the Palestinians win more than the Israelis do, since the Palestinians will gain citizenship and the right to vote for a real recognized government, something they haven't had so far. I'm sure plenty of Israelis would object to that.

Fact is, the Palestinians gain more than the Israelis, because the Israelis already have a lot more, things the Palestinians lack so far.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
It's the end of Palestine as well. Though I guess the Palestinians win more than the Israelis do, since the Palestinians will gain citizenship and the right to vote for a real recognized government, something they haven't had so far. I'm sure plenty of Israelis would object to that.

Fact is, the Palestinians gain more than the Israelis, because the Israelis already have a lot more, things the Palestinians lack so far.

The Israelis have a lot more because they worked for it,so instead of being bent on destroying Israel the Palestinians could have taken a leaf out of their book and did the same.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm going to get bashed for this, but here goes:

No solution will work until Palestinians acknowledge the presence of the Israelis and allow them to live in peace where they are, in Israel. Palestinians are entitled to some land as well though...the land they were also promised. Not all of Israel though. Naming it whatever, it doesn't really matter. If the Israelis wanted the Palestinians to be obliterated, they would have done it a long time ago. They certainly have the military power to do so...

Do I agree with the settlements? No. They need to pull back and give Palestinians their fair land as well.
Do I agree with either side? No. Palestinians are a hard crowd to please. They want all or nothing and it's impossible to get that.

A one-state solution won't work until both sides give in, and that's not looking very likely.
Making the official language Arabic is a huge insult to the Israelis; why not have a dual official language? Hebrew AND Arabic? Why one or the other?

I admire anyone who seriously thinks of positive ideas towards peace though...it's noble even though it may not work as presented.

Bismillah

Submit
Hi everyone,
I'm starting my membership on this forum by introducting my blueprint for peace. To introduce myself: I'm a 25-year old Orthodox Jew, who lived in Israel for the past 6 years.
Hello Daniel, I'm glad of your open mindedness.

What do you think about groups such as Hamas which do not recognize Israel at the time or Avigdor Lieberman's Yisrael Beiteinu and Lieberman himself who favors stealing Arab land and a form of ethnic cleansing? How do you propose to merge such parties?

Furthermore, what of those colonies in the West Bank and Gaza. Will the Jewish colonists be entitled to their property and what do you plan to do with those Arabs whose land has been taken from them? You give equal importance to the "Jewish diaspora" but the standard of living between a Palestinian refugee and a Jew in Europe or America is not comparable.

Why would Israel concede so much when they are unwilling to withdraw from places such as Ariel that render future Palestine impossible?

Bismillah

Submit
No solution will work until Palestinians acknowledge the presence of the Israelis
Fatah has done so for decades

and allow them to live in peace where they are, in Israel.
Abbas was praised by Netanyahu as a valiant partner for peace and you can look at the number of attacks staged from the W.B against illegal Israeli colonies or greater Israel. Obviously this policy of peace first hasn't been reciprocated by the Israeli side however, they continue to fund illegal colonies with gusto and favor ethnic cleansing of Palestinians from their historic land.

Palestinians are entitled to some land as well though...the land they were also promised.
Good luck getting that.

Not all of Israel though.
They are squabbling for less than 20% of what was promised to them.
If the Israelis wanted the Palestinians to be obliterated, they would have done it a long time ago. They certainly have the military power to do so...
They don't want to kill them, they just want their land.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I hear you, Bismillah, really I do.
This is one dispute I have given so much thought to, and I just can't come up with a solution that will make everyone happy, and it's probably impossible to make everyone happy.

My question is, where do the Israelis go? What is the ideal solution from the Palestinian's view? I've tried searching and all I find is confusion. Enlighten me as to what the Palestinians actually want, and where the Israelis are supposed to go.

Flankerl

* Israel cannot expect to hold on to settlements on Palestinian territory.

Thats right. The settlements would have to go.

* It is impossible to forcibly evacuate 500,000 people from their homes. Israel lacks the physical (police/army) and financial means to deal with a mission like that.

Thats far more possible than to ask the israeli jews to live with all the crazies who want to kill them in one country.

* If a two-state solution is made, and all Israelis leave Palestinian territory, Israel will be a tiny little state, and the distance from Qalqilya to the sea is just 13 kilometers. Israel will not survive a single war with the Arabs.

Sure if the arabs want to turn their homes into glass they could do that.

[youtube]Li7vmcCzWks[/youtube]
YouTube - Explosion nuclear

Remember the arab countries wont have MAD on their side. Its not like the cold war. If Israel was seriously in danger and arab armies were victoriously marching twards Tel Aviv i think Israel would use the bomb. Its the only sane thing to do. The only other option would be to watch while the arab armies start the biggest pogrom ever.

* Israel will hugely benefit from integrating as part of the Arabic world. Throughout the ages, Jews have lived under Islamic rule (note that this will not be the case here - it will be a secular state) for many centuries, generally with more success than those who lived under Christian rule.

From what propaganda truck did you fall of? Have you forgotten why the Sephardi fled Sepharad? Have you forgotten why Rambam ended up in egypt in the first place?

A secular state? For how long till we cant access the kotel anymore?
Will the sefer yosef burn again?
Oh my did you hear? We are tearing down the Al Aqsa again. Its not true? Tell that to those that were murdered by the mob.

There is no insurance in your plan. Its only based on the goodwill of people that no one could ever turn against the jews in your fairy country.
And thats not much after the history of the last 60 years.

And dont you even dare call me a zionist. Iam waiting for the moshiach.

Bismillah

Submit
My question is, where do the Israelis go?
Stop building colonies in the West Bank. Stop cleansing Palestinians from East Jerusalem would be a great start.

What is the ideal solution from the Palestinian's view?
Autonomy.

Enlighten me as to what the Palestinians actually want
They want Gaza and the W.B (connected by a strip of land under Israeli control). They Reject the annexation of any colonies within Palestinian land that would break the contiguity of Palestinian land and set the future state up for failure. The demand that Palestine not relinquish it's most important religious shrine. The demand that Palestinian sovereignty be respected.

In exchange for those colonies that are annexed by Israel, equal land is to be exchanged in favour of Palestine, however some colonies such as Ariel or Ma'ale Adumim pose inherent risks. They either compromise internal security or control vastly important natural resources to be annexed by Israel. There have been propositions for "creative solutions" by the Palestinian side such as giving the inhabitants the choice of Palestinian citizenship and serving as model cities or else arbitrarily divided amongst the two coalitions, but Israel has unilaterally rejected such compromises.

It instead favors complete annexation of these colonies which set Palestine up for failure and at the same time enlarge both these colonies and others through funding and construction at an increased rate while ejecting its domestic inhabitants.

Clearly, if Palestine fails in the future things will revert to as they are now and Israel will have the green light to once again invade and colonize the land on the auspice of security and failure of the Arabs to create a functioning government.

Daniel B

My solution means that everyone gets to stay where they are. It will be one single country. That means that whoever lives in Ariel, Maaleh Adumim, Beitar Illit, Modi'in Illit etc can simply continue to live there. That's the whole benefit of a one-state solution: nothing really needs to change, other than removing the fences and walls and checkpoints, and integrating the governments, and the people.....

I think Hamas is way more likely to accept this than Yisrael Beiteinu (Lieberman). Hamas has, in the past, said that Jews would be allowed to live in Palestine under Islamic rule. The only difference here is that we won't have Islamic rule - we'll have a guaranteed secular state, and only a majority of 80% can authorize changes to the constitution.

As for immigrants: as pointed out, Palestinian refugees are generally speaking a lot poorer than European and American Jews. That is true, and therefore, just and fair rules for each of these populations need to be established. Basically, that means no more free plane tickets, no free money, and the obligation to spend years in national service. Somehow, I think the number of potential immigrants will dramatically drop among western Jews, while Palestinians will still come. For both Jews and Palestinians, funds should be set aside for bringing the poorest who really need help to the Holy Land.

Funding for the whole thing would come primarily from inside: we'll be able to cancel most of the army, and immigrants (returning refugees, mainly) performing national service will perform a lot of work the government currently pays people for. In exchange for their work, they will get free (basic) housing and a relatively low salary - but their situation will still be a lot better than in some refugee camp in Lebanon.

There is a reason why requesting funds from external sources such as the UN or other Arab countries is not included in the preferred options: the new country should build a sense of responsibility amongst its citizens, and that will be difficult if the funding comes from outside. The people should understand that they, themselves, together, need to build the new country. Of course, the option of receiving donations (NOT LOANS!!!) remains open; I could imagine that, for example, the UN, EU, and Saudi Arabia may want to contribute serious amounts, which would be welcomed, but should not be a primary source of funding.

Daniel B

Flankerl: what do you mean by, why the sefaradim fled Spain? Well, because of the Christians. Not the Muslims. Assuming you're talking about 1492 there.
Regarding the Rambam, yes, he fled for Muslims, and found refuge with other Muslims.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I won't be adding anything to this interesting discussion, i just want to ask about something.

If Israel was seriously in danger and arab armies were victoriously marching twards Tel Aviv i think Israel would use the bomb. Its the only sane thing to do.

Do you mean that you simply think thats whats going to happen, or does saying 'Its the only sane thing to do' mean that you personally think this is the right thing to do?

Bismillah

Submit
Daniel you seem to be setting conditions of acceptance that you, yourself, have admitted are unrealistic and most likely to be rejected by the right wing like the Yisrael Beiteinu Party. If they cannot agree on allocating the land in Gaza and the West Bank, what is the hope that they will welcome desperately poor refugees and compromise the entire premise of that nation?

Close to zero and if the proposal is unrealistic then it is unhelpful in my opinion.

Daniel B

Daniel you seem to be setting conditions of acceptance that you, yourself, have admitted are unrealistic and most likely to be rejected by the right wing like the Yisrael Beiteinu Party. If they cannot agree on allocating the land in Gaza and the West Bank, what is the hope that they will welcome desperately poor refugees and compromise the entire premise of that nation?

Close to zero and if the proposal is unrealistic then it is unhelpful in my opinion.

Accept it? Haha. Even the leftists wouldn't accept it. It's the *end* of Israel I am proposing! Not Labor, not Kadima, almost nobody would accept it. Maybe Hadash, Balad, and maaaaybe Meretz.

I'm not being realistic. I'm basically saying this is what I would like to see. I realize it will never happen. Instead we're looking at war and bloodshed and a lot of people getting killed over nothing.

Bismillah

Submit
Ah, it is more of an ideal scenario.

Why would your ideal scenario see that your religious state is compromised?

Levite

Higher and Higher
Accept it? Haha. Even the leftists wouldn't accept it. It's the *end* of Israel I am proposing! Not Labor, not Kadima, almost nobody would accept it. Maybe Hadash, Balad, and maaaaybe Meretz.

I'm not being realistic. I'm basically saying this is what I would like to see. I realize it will never happen. Instead we're looking at war and bloodshed and a lot of people getting killed over nothing.

Meretz would never accept it.

Flankerl

Flankerl: what do you mean by, why the sefaradim fled Spain? Well, because of the Christians. Not the Muslims. Assuming you're talking about 1492 there.
Regarding the Rambam, yes, he fled for Muslims, and found refuge with other Muslims.

Many many sephardim already left for good when the almohads went taliban. Those that remained usually lived in the northern part of the iberian peninsula.

So you agree that the Rambam fled because of the almohads? Now think about certain groups within the glorious freedom fighters of the palestinians.

I won't be adding anything to this interesting discussion, i just want to ask about something.

Do you mean that you simply think thats whats going to happen, or does saying 'Its the only sane thing to do' mean that you personally think this is the right thing to do?

If the state of israel were about to lose a war against unknown arab armies it most certainly would first(if not before) threaten said countries with nuclear strikes.
After that pandoras box might open.

If i think if its the right thing? Hm do i want my family to be murdered?

It would be the last line of defense with the only alternative of certain destruction. Obviously everything is possible.

Daniel B

Ah, it is more of an ideal scenario.

Why would your ideal scenario see that your religious state is compromised?

Let's make this clear - Judaism is NOT Zionism! I need only point towards the biggest leader we ever had in this field, Rabbi Joel Teitelbaum. See here (add www - I can't post links yet): " jewsagainstzionism.com/rabbi_quotes/teitelbaum.cfm ".

For a couple of excerpts from one of his books, see here: docs.google.com/a//document/pub?id=1L2mpbbiiJhozB1o6zdmyxRObfGH79LnODR2HYIl51LI (add https )

And just so you know this is not a small sect: this is an annual celebration in his memory. This video is from 2007; he died in 1980. See: video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6445564357351911107 .

Or a wedding at Satmar: video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4905529922904887021

Another one, at the end of Shabbat: video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4982542403965709581

Small celebration a couple of days after a wedding: video.google.com/videoplay?docid=315640509711733551

Just to prove Satmar is not a 'tiny sect' (which Zionists often claim). It's about 100,000 people worldwide. They may not be huge by Islamic standards, but they're definitely not a 'tiny sect'.

As an example, check the Zionist liesite here: (www) zionism-israel.com/his/jewish_anti_zionism.htm , it says: "tiny groups of reactionary ultraorthodox Jews, especially the Neturei Karta, who call themselves Jews against Zionism, the Satmar and similar groups,".

Status
Not open for further replies.