• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The gulf between us

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You think it is logical to hold unsubstantiated beliefs in things that cannot be verified or tested?

Yes, it can be. But that is sort of beside the point, because religious beliefs are more than just vague theism, usually.

Im not sure there is a purpose to vague theism, actually.

Corvus

Feathered eyeball connoisseur
You can't evidence the claim of atheism. That was your conclusion, not mine. I'M not responsible for your claims or conclusions...
There is only one claim of atheism, God(s) do not exist. I support that claim with pure application of logic. Which follows as thus, pay attention. 1. There is no evidence of God(s) existing to disprove. 2. As there is no evidence of God(s) to disprove I have no case to answer. You may as well ask me to disprove the existence of invisible elephants. For which there also is no evidence to disprove. Equally illogical.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This doesnt make any sense.

If you think that atheists are being logical? Really?
No

Yes, We are being logical from what we experience, researched, observed, and reflected on. Same as theist. We are all humans.

I see no logic in a higher power and creator. Theist would disagree. Who has the criteria for whose right and wrong?

To me, atheist are more logical because we start from what we experience around us before coming to conclusions that what we dont know comes from the supernatural. Some of us find natural causes.

Its logical. Just i think theist think Some atheist cant find meaning if they dont have some supernatural or spiritual element to their life equation.

Theist and atheist are in the same boat when it comes to assumptions. Sometimes I just chuckle.

Last edited:

Corvus

Theist and atheist are in the same boat when it comes to assumptions. Sometimes I just chuckle.

We are very much in different boats. My boat is a water tight nuclear powered GPS navigated steel dreadnought. Their boat is a leaky wooden tub with a captain who prays for a strong wind and uses maps and charts written by someone who has never seen the ocean or knows anything about nautical navigation.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
More nonsen
Yes, We are being logical from what we experience, researched, observed, and reflected on. Sale as theist. We are all humans.

I see no logic in a higher power and creator. Theist would disagree. Who has the criteria for whose right and wrong?

To me, atheist are more logical because we start from what we experience around us before coming to conclusions that what we dont know comes from the supernatural. Some of us find natural causes.

Its logical. Just i think theist think Some atheist cant find meaning if they dont have some supernatural or spiritual element to their life equation.

Not really. Atheism is a religion, obviously, and is based off irrational faith in the existence of a (non-deity.).

This is called the "atheist god".

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
We are very much in different boats. My boat is a water tight nuclear powered GPS navigated steel dreadnought. Their boat is a leaky wooden tub with a captain who prays for a strong wind and uses maps and charts written by someone who has never seen the ocean or knows anything about nautical navigation.

Ha. They say the same thing about theist just the other way around.

It's like watching a war and telling yourselves that the opponents are savages.

I shake my head.

Corvus

Ha. They say the same thing about theist just the other way around.

It's like watching a war and telling yourselves that the opponents are savages.

I shake my head.

I haven't labeled anyone a savage. I am merely making claims and refuting other claims. If that is problematic for you then I guess I cannot understand.

Corvus

That is the most confused statement in the thread, so far.

Belief system is commomly called religion, or a faith.

You're trying to argue senantics

You are quite mistaken, a habit it seems.

A belief system is a set of mutually supportive beliefs. The beliefs of any such system can be classified as religious, philosophical, political, ideological, or a combination of these. WIKI

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
More nonsen

Not really. Atheism is a religion, obviously, and is based off irrational faith in the existence of a (non-deity.).

This is called the "atheist god".

Atheism is not a religion. Theism is not a religion. Where did you get that?

I can't speak for all atheists since I only met one in person, everyone else is online.

I want to make this personal so I can understand why you have his view.

I was not raised religious
I was not raised in a religious household
I was not in a religious environment

If I were not in the hospital, I'm skating, swimming, and chatting with friends well into the third high school I attended.

I knew nothing about god (and never knew there was more than abrahamic beliefs that believed in god) until five years ago. Then, that wasn't even god, that was the spirit of jesus.

Let me ask,

Where is my faith?
Based on what I told you, what is my religion?
What are my tenants?
How does my morals (creative expression and equality, for example) are based on a non-existent being?

I know I can be illogical sometimes, but this post floored me. Remember, we're in the same boat.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
religion
rɪˈlɪdʒ(ə)n/
noun
  1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
    "ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
    synonyms: faith, belief, divinity, worship, creed, teaching, doctrine, theology; More

This is incompatible with the definition of Atheism.

^

Atheistic religions are atheistic religions. They are not atheism. Atheism is merely the non belief in God(s).

Not according to your own argument.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Emotions are not good at all. They delude and confound people. Emotive people make terrible mistakes.

I didn't create them evolution did and emotions seem to be there before logic. A baby is a bundle of emotions and logic develops as the baby ages. A person without emotions would be as bad as a person without logic. You understand why many scientists have a fear of AI. AI has no emotional side. If a valid answer is to kill off half the population it may just kill off half the population.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You are quite mistaken, a habit it seems.

A belief system is a set of mutually supportive beliefs. The beliefs of any such system can be classified as religious, philosophical, political, ideological, or a combination of these. WIKI
Hence atheism.

Corvus

You understand why many scientists have a fear of AI. AI has no emotional side. If a valid answer is to kill off half the population it may just kill off half the population.
If it was utilitarian to do so, expedient to the greater good of the species, then I would understand the logic of it. Governments today have to make similar tough utilitarian hard decisions, such as with regard to welfare provision, though not usually so drastically as the example you use.