• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Greatest Commandments

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
“Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭22:37-40‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

If you agree with these commandments how do you personally live out these verses?
Who is the one to determine if you are in fact living these out, should we look at someone else and say if you love me you would do or live like this? Or
Is this something each person is responsible to determine and accountable for before God?
What are your personal or biblical views/opinion?
Those Two Commandments are very simple to understand but very difficult to fully impliment, thus Jesus' reference to the "narrow gate".

I just try to do my best while fully knowing that there'll be times I'll slip up-- too many times as a matter of fact. :(

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
“Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.””

If you agree with these commandments how do you personally live out these verses?
Who is the one to determine if you are in fact living these out, should we look at someone else and say if you love me you would do or live like this? Or
Is this something each person is responsible to determine and accountable for before God?
How does one be commanded to love?

I can only think the ancient definition of love was vastly different then the modern view of love.

I can only think the ancient definition of love was vastly different then the modern view of love.
Yes, I agree. Agape is the word for love that the Bible refers to for these 2 Commandments. Jesus says in John 15:13, That no greater love has someone than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. I notice that this kind of love is a decision that we make to love God and other people. For example I would be wrong to demand your love for me because Jesus commanded it, this wouldn’t be a voluntary decision so I wouldn’t say this is love but some kind of coercion or obligation.
This kind of sacrificial, voluntary decision is the love that I see in the Scriptures, this is a lot different than the feelings or lust that many mistake true love to be. A person can’t fall in and out of love with agape love because it’s not dependent on a feeling. That’s some of what I understand.
Personally I was incapable of any agape love before I was born again, once I received eternal life because God loved (agape) me, it was at this point I was able to love like that and it was more like, man, it’s so awesome what God did for me! Because God loved me so much it enable me to as well.

metis

Agape is the word for love that the Bible refers to for these 2 Commandments. Jesus says in John 15:13, That no greater love has someone than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. I notice that this kind of love is a decision that we make to love God and other people.
There is no English equivalent for "agape" even though "love" is the closest.

One of my theology instructors who was at least somewhat proficient in Koine Greek [complicated reason], taught us that "agape" acts as an "action noun", thus one doesn't just love people but that they live out of that universal love for all. IOW, it should permeate all that we do, and that we don't do good just for us to get into heaven as that would be self-centered.

Needless to say, I all too often fall all too short as you well know.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
There is no English equivalent for "agape" even though "love" is the closest..............

In the Greek there are 4 words for love: Agape, Phila, Eros, Storge.
Phila ( aka brotherly love / love that has affection attached )
Storge ( aka family love ) again can have affection attached )
Eros ( sexual love ) word Eros is Not found in Scripture and affection not necessary for a sexual act.
Agape is love based on principle. Does Not have to have affection attached. Example: love your enemies.
One does Not have to have loving affection for an enemy but a principled love, a practical love.
The neighborly good Samaritan showed practical love to a stranger in distress ( agape love )

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
How does one be commanded to love?
How Jesus commanded love was by giving us his New Commandment found at John 13:34-35
We should have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
In other words, we are Now to love neighbor MORE than self, more than the Golden Rule of Leviticus 19:18.
The 'ancient definition of Christ-like love' is defined at 1 Corinthians 13:4-6.
Today's 'selfish distorted form of love' is described at 2 Timothy 3:1-5,13.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
How Jesus commanded love was by giving us his New Commandment found at John 13:34-35
We should have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
In other words, we are Now to love neighbor MORE than self, more than the Golden Rule of Leviticus 19:18.
The 'ancient definition of Christ-like love' is defined at 1 Corinthians 13:4-6.
Today's 'selfish distorted form of love' is described at 2 Timothy 3:1-5,13.
Still, love is not a command that must be obeyed. (Or else)

I'm convinced applying 21st century meanings to early BC/AD culture isn't the same.

In the Greek there are 4 words for love: Agape, Phila, Eros, Storge.
Phila ( aka brotherly love / love that has affection attached )
Storge ( aka family love ) again can have affection attached )
Eros ( sexual love ) word Eros is Not found in Scripture and affection not necessary for a sexual act.
Agape is love based on principle. Does Not have to have affection attached. Example: love your enemies.
One does Not have to have loving affection for an enemy but a principled love, a practical love.
The neighborly good Samaritan showed practical love to a stranger in distress ( agape love )
Yes, so in the application of Agape love in a persons life for example : it’s not for my place to look at your life and demand for you to love someone by doing something to prove you are fulfilling the commandment but each person is to evaluate themselves before God.
Ex. If I’m a vegetarian and you aren’t, for me to tell you if you agape me you would stop eating meat otherwise you don’t agape me would be inappropriate.
I should be looking at me as a vegetarian asking how can I agape you as someone who eats meat.

As for you who may happen to eat meat and me a vegetarian, you on the other hand should be asking yourself the same question, how can I agape the vegetarian.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Yes, so in the application of Agape love in a persons life for example : it’s not for my place to look at your life and demand for you to love someone by doing something to prove you are fulfilling the commandment but each person is to evaluate themselves before God.
Ex. If I’m a vegetarian and you aren’t, for me to tell you if you agape me you would stop eating meat otherwise you don’t agape me would be inappropriate.
I should be looking at me as a vegetarian asking how can I agape you as someone who eats meat.
As for you who may happen to eat meat and me a vegetarian, you on the other hand should be asking yourself the same question, how can I agape the vegetarian.

My best friend that I love of many decades is a long-time vegetarian.
Yes, each person ( we are Not the judge and jury ) needs to consider 1 John 1:7 the word "IF".
"IF" we are walking in the light..... then Jesus' blood cleanses us from all sin ("IF" is a condition )

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Still, love is not a command that must be obeyed. (Or else)......
In the Bible 'God "IS" love, and the God of the Bible requires that we love Him - Mark 12:30
Jesus' New commandment of John 13:34-35 replaces Mark 12:31.
We are Now to love neighbor MORE than self, more than the Golden Rule of Leviticus 19:18.
But God comes FIRST in our love. We are to show our love for God by obeying Him. - Acts of the Apostles 5:29 B.

In the Bible 'God "IS" love, and the God of the Bible requires that we love Him - Mark 12:30
Jesus' New commandment of John 13:34-35 replaces Mark 12:31.
We are Now to love neighbor MORE than self, more than the Golden Rule of Leviticus 19:18.
But God comes FIRST in our love. We are to show our love for God by obeying Him. - Acts of the Apostles 5:29 B.
That’s all fine and good, what I’m seeing and hearing people say to one another especially for the area of vaccines or other areas of life is: God says to love someone more than you’re self so if you are a Christian you need to violate your conscience and get vaccinated otherwise you’re not loving the other person.
What I’m saying is that it isn’t up to another person to judge that but each person needs to look at their own life and judge themselves whether they are loving someone or not by what they do or don’t do.
God is first and the judge. Whatever isn’t of faith is sin.

metis

One basic teaching that's common with the major religions, including Christianity, is to "do no harm" to innocent others, thus if I refuse to do my best to try and protect others, I am violating that basic axiom. Getting vaccines and wearing masks when rates are high in a given area does that, but what we all so often run across are those who look for "escape clauses" [excuses] that ends up putting others at risk.

One basic teaching that's common with the major religions, including Christianity, is to "do no harm" to innocent others, thus if I refuse to do my best to try and protect others, I am violating that basic axiom. Getting vaccines and wearing masks when rates are high in a given area does that, but what we all so often run across are those who look for "escape clauses" [excuses] that ends up putting others at risk.
Yes, your view and conscience before God will cause you to live a certain way. Other people may have another view and lifestyle which causes them to live a different way than you.
Both accountable to God for their decisions.

metis

Yes, your view and conscience before God will cause you to live a certain way. Other people may have another view and lifestyle which causes them to live a different way than you.
Both accountable to God for their decisions.
Such a convenient excuse to ignore such a basic teaching as "do no harm". So, you have demonstrated your own self of such an example of what Jesus blamed many of the Pharisees for: talking the talk but not walking the walk.

And as Christians, we have not only the right but the obligation to point out violations of the "law of love" when it happens, such as what the Apostles repeatedly did with those who did what you are doing with the above with you're inventing of excuses that can all too easily put others in harm's way. It's not just the final judgement that's important but also the path we take along the way, and there's a name for that and it's called the "Gospel".

Unless you have something to say other than just making excuses, I've made my point so I'll just move on.

muhammad_isa

The first commandment is an indication that God is not good. If God was all loving all powerful, etc. and so on there would be no need for such a commandment. It would happen naturally..

No .. our faith rises and falls.
The first commandment is the foundation of the faith.
We must make our lives for Hashem.

It doesn't happen naturally, as evil is very real. We are surrounded by it.
That is because God has given us free-will, and not all choose a righteous path.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No .. our faith rises and falls.
The first commandment is the foundation of the faith.
We must make our lives for Hashem.

It doesn't happen naturally, as evil is very real. We are surrounded by it.
That is because God has given us free-will, and not all choose a righteous path.
Please note the context. I was talking about Christian belief there. But the odds are that the Muslim version of God has a similar failing. I frankly do not know enough about your faith to know specifically where it fails. I refer Muslims to people that have left their faith for that.

Such a convenient excuse to ignore such a basic teaching as "do no harm". So, you have demonstrated your own self of such an example of what Jesus blamed many of the Pharisees for: talking the talk but not walking the walk.
I would say it would’ve been the Pharisee and not Jesus pushing for mandatory vaccine and masking. Jesus would’ve laid his hands on the sick, spit in some dirt and used it as eye salve to open the blind eyes or touched the leper to heal them not run away from or be fearful of an illness like Covid 19. That’s what He did and that’s what He has called us to do as well.

“Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.”
‭‭James‬ ‭5:13-16‬ ‭NIV‬‬
“He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.””
‭‭Mark‬ ‭16:15-18‬ ‭NIV‬‬

So yes we lay our hands on the sick, anoint people with oil and pray for the sick to be healed. That’s what I did in my home and everyone recovered, thanks to God who heals.

So it’s like I said for you it may be vaccine and masking for me it’s different so yeah we are walking out the Word of God over here as far as Covid, vaccines and masking.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
That’s all fine and good, what I’m seeing and hearing people say to one another especially for the area of vaccines or other areas of life is: God says to love someone more than you’re self so if you are a Christian you need to violate your conscience and get vaccinated otherwise you’re not loving the other person.
What I’m saying is that it isn’t up to another person to judge that but each person needs to look at their own life and judge themselves whether they are loving someone or not by what they do or don’t do.
God is first and the judge. Whatever isn’t of faith is sin.

Look out for one's own life, yes, but remember the words found at Philippians 2:3 to view others as superior to you.
- Romans 12:10

Biblical faith is confidence in God's written Word (Bible) and like the Ethiopian official of Acts chapter 8 someone guided him. Philip, who was well versed in Scripture, aided the Ethiopian.

Yes, it is not up to another to judge (personal judgement) to impute a bad or wrong motive to another.
Whereas, God's judgement is already recorded in Scripture for all to see and read.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I think that you might be saying that someone else should be the judge of it.

No! Never!