• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the good of the Abrahamic religions

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
The very good of the Abrahamic religions is this:

It is no human sacrifice. In the past many pegan religons sacrified humans to their gods. Judaism, christianity and islam is totaly against this

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

It is no human sacrifice. Many pegan religons sacrified humans to their gods. Judaism, christianity and islam is totaly against this
I'm not aware of any non-Abrahamic religions that are currently sacrificing humans.

Also, didn't God tell Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac?

Starlight

I'm not aware of any non-Abrahamic religions that are currently sacrificing humans.

God did not want Abraham to sacrifice his son.
Because of this a angel of the lord said to abraham:

But the angel of the Lord called out to him from heaven, “Abraham! Abraham!”

“Here I am,” he replied.

“Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him
Genesis 22

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
God did not want Abraham to sacrifice his son.
Because of this a angel of the lord said to abraham:

But the angel of the Lord called out to him from heaven, “Abraham! Abraham!”

“Here I am,” he replied.

12 “Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him
I didn't say he wanted him to. I said he told him to.

Just think if that angel of the Lord got stuck in traffic or something.

Starlight

Oh, great, I love it when folks pull out the overused, oversimplified, and misunderstood human sacrifice trope. Just love it.

Excuse me, I have to go ready the altar for another human sacrifice.
I wrote many pagan religions sacfrified humans to their gods in the past. I did not say that all pagan religions did it

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ

Yes. Another account of human sacrifice in the Bible to Yahweh was Jephthah's daughter

Jephthah's daughter, sometimes later referred to as Seila or as Iphis, is a figure in the Hebrew Bible, whose story is recounted in Judges 11. The judge Jephthah had just won a battle over the Ammonites, and vowed he would give the first thing that came out of his house as a burnt offering to God. However, his only child, an unnamed daughter, came out to meet him dancing and playing a tambourine (v. 34). She encourages Jephthah to fulfill his vow (v. 36) but asks for two months to weep for her virginity (v. 38). After this period of time, Jephthah fulfilled his vow and offered his daughter.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Yes. Another account of human sacrifice in the Bible to Yahweh was Jephthah's daughter

According to the rest of that Wikipedia article, many figures have held the opinion that Jephthah’s daughter was not offered in that sense but in a different way that involved not dying nor even being injured.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
According to the rest of that Wikipedia article, many figures have held the opinion that Jephthah’s daughter was not offered in that sense but in a different way that involved not dying nor even being injured.

This is true, but the scriptures are very clear

29 Then the Spirit of the Lord came on Jephthah. He crossed Gilead and Manasseh, passed through Mizpah of Gilead, and from there he advanced against the Ammonites. 30 And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord: “If you give the Ammonites into my hands, 31 whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the Lord’s, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering.”

36 “My father,” she replied, “you have given your word to the Lord. Do to me just as you promised, now that the Lord has avenged you of your enemies, the Ammonites. 37 But grant me this one request,” she said. “Give me two months to roam the hills and weep with my friends, because I will never marry.”

38 “You may go,” he said. And he let her go for two months. She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never marry. 39 After the two months, she returned to her father, and he did to her as he had vowed. And she was a virgin.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
This is true, but the scriptures are very clear

I don’t really have anything to gain or lose, but I would wonder what word is translated as ‘burnt offering’ and how it is used elsewhere in the texts. Even if it does rightly translate as ‘burnt offering,’ I would wonder if people in that culture ever used it metaphorically.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I don’t really have anything to gain or lose, but I would wonder what word is translated as ‘burnt offering’ and how it is used elsewhere in the texts. Even if it does rightly translate as ‘burnt offering,’ I would wonder if people in that culture ever used it metaphorically.

That's a good question. I don't know!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

It is no human sacrifice. In the past many pegan religons sacrified humans to their gods. Judaism, christianity and islam is totaly against this

Christianity is built on the sacrifice of JC. Many Christians also enjoy drinking the blood of Christ and eating the body of Christ.

RestlessSoul

Christianity is predicated on a human sacrifice. Christ was allegedly sacrificed to appease a god. That's no different from an Aztec ripping out a beating heart or dropping children into volcanoes. Worse, it's called an act of love.

It’s quite a lot different, and the fact you don’t see it as such is testament only to your deep seated prejudice

Starlight

Christianity is predicated on a human sacrifice. Christ was allegedly sacrificed to appease a god. That's no different from an Aztec ripping out a beating heart or dropping children into volcanoes. Worse, it's called an act of love.
Nowhere in Christian scriptures does it say that people should make human sacrifices

Jesus was a very special man, it was
an exception

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member

This is kind of true. We kind of do it but not for God or gods, but for living an easier life (abortion).

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The only thing that appears incontrovertible is that, in a thread titled "the good of the Abrahamic religions," some folks feel compelled to disparage them, and that strikes me as more than a little sad.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The only thing that appears incontrovertible is that, in a thread titled "the good of the Abrahamic religions," some folks feel compelled to disparage them, and that strikes me as more than a little sad.
Or some folks take exception to the suggestion that "no human sacrifice" is somehow unique to Abrahamic religions.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Or some folks take exception to the suggestion that "no human sacrifice" is somehow unique to Abrahamic religions.
It's easier to act moral with morality lit and light bright. Without it lit, what type of religions would the world be in?

The darkness can sway people. Irrationality of polytheism can lead to other behaviors such as human sacrifice as it did in the past.

Rationality right now is a thing and even atheists act morally (over all). But would it be a thing, all this rationality in human morality, without the Messengers and Prophets? I don't think so.