1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The G.O.P. is Rotting

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by sun rise, Dec 8, 2017.

1. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +21,280
    Religion:
    Buddhist & scientifically oriented Catholic
    Defending Trump takes a lot of depravity because so many of his actions and words are so utterly immoral by almost any standards one can think of. And, to again quote Gandhi's words, "To cooperate with evil is evil".

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lyndon

Lyndon "Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,954
    Religion:
    Theism+Jesus(pbuh) influenced by....... Taoism and Buddhism
    Bill Clinton and Donald Trump are both scumbags, but if I where to venture a guess at which one is worse for America, I'd have to go with Trump.

• Like Like x 3
  3. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +21,280
    Religion:
    Buddhist & scientifically oriented Catholic
    And, as you're aware of, all this stuff about Clinton has been revived by the Republicans to deflect the attention from the Groper-In-Chief. "Two wrongs don't make a right", but they still want to play that disingenuous game. And they played the same exact disingenuous game with Hillary as well by portraying her as somehow being more depraved than Trump.

IMO, both sides are too "tribal" for my blood, but there's no doubt that the Republicans are trying to corner that market in their own "art of the deal"-- honesty be damned.

4. sun rise

sun rise Śvāna Dharma
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38,585
    Religion:
    Love/Omnism
    Who is the 'he' here since both authors were writing about systemic rot in the Republican Party? Trump admitted his harassment and even reveled in it. And for Moore, Republicans have been chanting "lock her up" but when the shoe is on the other foot are saying "where's the conviction in court" - that is rank hypocrisy and is in fact one serious component in the GOP sewer.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. sun rise

sun rise Śvāna Dharma
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38,585
    Religion:
    Love/Omnism
    Video? There are two opinion pieces in the OP.

6. Lyndon

Lyndon "Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,954
    Religion:
    Theism+Jesus(pbuh) influenced by....... Taoism and Buddhism
    there's no video. I don't know what kemo is talking about

7. Kemosloby

Kemosloby Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,228
    Religion:
    Christian
    Lock who up? You can't lock someone up without a conviction in court...So yeah, take it to court. If she's lying lock her up.

8. Kemosloby

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,228
    Religion:
    Christian
    The second link in the first post there is a video.

9. Kemosloby

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,228
    Religion:
    Christian
    There's a video in the second link. They say it's not his handwriting but it sure looks like his handwriting. I'd say Moore is guilty as charged.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Enoch07

Enoch07 It's all a sick freaking joke.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,719
    Religion:
    Theistic Rationalist-Christian
    Just using that one word alone delegitimizes everything else he says.

:facepalm:

11. Jeremiah Ames

Jeremiah Ames Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,657
    Religion:
    Areligious Christian
    Sorry to interrupt this lively debate, but back to the idea of a rotting Republican party.
    I recognized that 17 years ago when I surrendered my lifelong Republican membership. The rot started with the trickle down president, and continued with the second Bush.
    That party’s singular goal is the destruction of America as we knew it. They already succeeded in dismantling the middle class, and now they need to loot what little is left. Hence the increased need to pass tax giveaways to the already wealthy. They know America’s days are numbered, so the rich and powerful will loot all they can while the suckers let them, then they can escape to other locations and live happily ever after.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Kangaroo Feathers

Kangaroo Feathers Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

Ratings:
    +8,666
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I'm a life long conservative, too. I am so disenchanted with the political class now. Fortunately (?) I'm in Australia, and our current flock of conservative politicians aren't (quite) as bad as those in the US, but where the US goes, we tend to follow, and I fear for the future. But whatever the state of Australian politics is, watching recent American politics from an external POV is, without hyperbole, like watching a slow motion train wreck. At this point, I think the best we can hope for is that not too many bystanders are harmed in the imminent disaster, but even that seems decidedly optimistic.

13. Ingledsva

Ingledsva HEATHEN ALASKAN

Ratings:
    +2,485
    Which is stupid, - as that is the easiest way to fix the bathroom problem some folks are complaining about.

14. It Aint Necessarily So

It Aint Necessarily So Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,410
    Religion:
    None
    Are you counting his prison term?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MrMrdevincamus

MrMrdevincamus Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter

Ratings:
    +257
    Religion:
    No longer a primitive Christian, now a evolved to plain vanilla Christian
    I am sure that should read the GOP rocks! ha ahhhhh' yes it is so! I think the political parties exist only to create strife and a good scapegoat to divert the population's attention from what the gov and those with real money are doing. Trump is no better or worse than he others that have come before him.

; {>

16. It Aint Necessarily So

It Aint Necessarily So Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,410
    Religion:
    None
    How about that it doesn't apply outside of a legal or quasi-legal process, and even there, it doesn't mean what it seems to mean. Do you understand that? The concept is irrelevant in the process of character assessment.

Regarding the idea that the words aren't literally true even in a legal setting, if the defendant were truly treated as innocent, he wouldn't be a defendant, would he? He'd be released. He wouldn't have been arrested, charged, arraigned, required to post bail, needed an attorney, or been tried.

And the prosecutor is treating the defendant as guilty, which s/he believes is true if the case was brought in good faith.

So what does the phrase mean if not what it seems to say?

It means is that the prosecution has the burden of proof, not the defense. It means that if the prosecutor cannot get a guilty verdict, the defendant will be released (sometimes after a second trial in the case of a hung jury / mistrial)..

And none of that is relevant in deciding who is fit to serve in positions of trust and responsibility. The standard there is to err on the side of not accepting an unfit candidate whether it be as an employee, spouse, or your senator. Better to not hire or marry somebody that you suspect of having unproven character issues than to bring them into your life, which is essentially unacceptable until "proven" fit, which is never going to happen if there is unresolvable doubt..

This is in contrast to a legal setting, where the standard is to err on the side of releasing the guilty rather than convicting the innocent - exactly the opposite.

Are you aware of the message that your argument sends? Do you think that you project that you treat all people this way - that you never judge ill anybody not convicted in a court of law? Nobody does that - not you, and not me.

So why are you offering that as if it is your standard in Moore's case?

No time. The voters of Alabama have just a few weeks before they must cast a verdict on Moore's fitness for office.

17. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +12,708
    Religion:
    Philosophical Taoist/Christian
    When liars, thieves, and criminals "investigate" themselves, there is rarely any result besides complicity.

18. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Ratings:
    +21,491
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    Yeah we know the Democrat Party are comprised of angels. Flawless and pure as the drivin snow.

19. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Ratings:
    +21,491
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    You would think so. But clearly it's the electorate and lobbyists who makes the decisions who's in, and who's out leading to whom gets appointed and who doesn't once political members are voted in.

It's clear that there are very low standards today by which officials are chosen or elected.

20. Nakosis

Nakosis Time Efficient Lollygagger
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,850
    Religion:
    Scientism
    Then what difference would it make the number of parties? One party, two parties, the same folks are going to be voting.