• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The fall of man; Free will

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
Unfortunately, if someone has proof, whether they send proof to the judge or not, isn't up to them.

Good answer. That is so true. I can only hope the unseen hand moving the distant stars and the sighing wind might reach down and cause the Judge to dismiss my case with prejudice.

I don't think I'm gonna count on that though.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
One Christian explained it to me this way: "sin" is not an evil, but an inevitable state we are in because of free will; "the fall" is not a punishment, but a consequence of the rise of that state; and the myth describes what is, not what could'a/should'a/would'a been had we or "God" done things differently. Not everyone who invests in the story takes it literally.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Good answer. That is so true. I can only hope the unseen hand moving the distant stars and the sighing wind might reach down and cause the Judge to dismiss my case with prejudice.

I don't think I'm gonna count on that though.

You should pray harder, although that's not up to you either. I say go with the flow and don't worry about it. Just assume there's a good bj in your future that is destined to happen. Focus on the good deterministic events.

jml03

If someone can prove we do not have freewill, I wish they'd please send their proof to Warren District Court Judge Sam Potter so he will let me out of my most recent speeding ticket . . . I had no choice but to speed, your Honor, I am merely the haphazard consequence of a cause-and-effect universe run amok.

Excellent! Sorry about the ticket though. If the Judge had no freewill, he'd be forced to find you guilty though. Or would he? Which way would his non-freewill force him to go?

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
Excellent! Sorry about the ticket though. If the Judge had no freewill, he'd be forced to find you guilty though. Or would he? Which way would his non-freewill force him to go?

I'm guessing that is up to Mrs. Potter . . . If the Judge gets lucky the night before, maybe the EFFECT from such a CAUSE will be that he is in a good mood on my courtdate and thereby more willing to dismiss my case. Viola' . . . deterministic cause and effect works in my favor.

If, on the other hand, Mrs. Potter has a headache the night before my Court appearance and then the Judge cuts himself shaving and then gets cutoff in traffic on his way to the courthouse and all these uncontrollable factors accumulate to create a determined cause that places me in Traffic School . . . I'm just going to tell the Police Officer who teaches the class, "hey, I had no choice but to speed, Mr. Officer, I am just the haphazard consequence of a cause-and-effect universe run amok."

So it goes.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
This is moot. Without free will, there is no need for the judge, the courtroom and the fine, since no infractions can take place.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
This is moot. Without free will, there is no need for the judge, the courtroom and the fine, since no infractions can take place.

I like your argument.

What are you doing on July 22, at 9:00 a.m.? And would you be willing to represent me in a case pending before Warren District Court in Bowling Green, Kentucky?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
And would we be just like a mindless, zombie-like society?
That depends on your image of "mind". If complete participation in the deterministic world includes thought, choice and decision, then the world goes merrily on just as it is. The difference is that it's not YOU making thoughts, choices and decisions. It's determined for you, as a part of the world.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
To clarify, I'm saying all that would be "lost" would be something you never really had: responsibility. But then, there goes the judge, who would you hold responsible, and the courtroom by which you would be found responsible, and the fine, the owning up to your responsibility.

Skwim

Veteran Member
If someone can prove we do not have freewill, I wish they'd please send their proof to Warren District Court Judge Sam Potter so he will let me out of my most recent speeding ticket . . . I had no choice but to speed, your Honor, I am merely the haphazard consequence of a cause-and-effect universe run amok.
I would but I have no choice but not to. Seriously though. Even though everything we do is determined---the only alternative is that it happens by utter chance (a random occurrence)---our minds are so constructed (operate deterministically) that they ignore the fact and operate so as to regard our actions as voluntary. The judge has no more discretion in his actions as you did in speeding. He does, as you did, because he can/could do no differently. Does this give lie to the concept of just punishment? Of course it does, but we can't help that we regard it otherwise.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Do you think it's possible to expect too much from myths?
I think the onus is on the reader.

I am merely only trying to point out the irreconcilable contradiction of the fundamental foundation of the idea of salvation...our freedom of will to choose. When all along it is consequential will...

waitasec

Veteran Member
1. Adam and Eve had to know the risk and consequences of their choices – both the risk and consequences to them and to G-d. One can argue that Adam and Eve knew of the risk and consequences to themselves because G-d told them. That is a bit of a reach because G-d’s pre-fall explanation is incomplete but the second part (risk and consequences to G-d) was clearly not known from what is provided in scripture. 2. If before Adam was created as a physical entity his essence knew of the risks and consequences both to him and G-d then and only then would the Fall be a choice and an expression of free will.

How could they know the act of disobedience was evil? If their eyes were not open at the moment the choice was made and didn't know of their nakedness until after they ate the fruit. Btw, what is so evil about being naked and why was that the first thing they were ashamed of instead of the act of disobedience?
The moment god gave adam the CHOICE was the moment god KNEW his dominion cannot conquer Adams free will, the all powerful creator of EVERYTHING cannot control my will. The ultimate enemy of the IDEOLOGY of an all powerful god

It is obvious from the scriptures of garden epoch that there are important pieces of information missing.

i would agree with you on the 'obvious' comment. but i dont think i am comfortable with you making additions to 'revealed' text after the fact. infallible scripture doesn't get do-overs, even when it becomes obvious to everyone that there are holes in it.