• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "F word" for those who hate the word "feminist"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What individuals practice has no impact on what feminism or masculinism is.
I see these things much the same way I see religion, ie, that primarily it is
what people practice. But to acknowledge your perspective, I do often
make the distinction between feminist culture & feminist philosophy.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I see these things much the same way I see religion, ie, that primarily it is
what people practice. But to acknowledge your perspective, I do often
make the distinction between feminist culture & feminist philosophy.
Just as someone can be liberal on some topics and conservative on others, what 'liberal' and 'conservative' mean informs them. To have them inform it isn't helpful.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Just as someone can be liberal on some topics and conservative on others, what 'liberal' and 'conservative' mean informs them, not the other way around.
I see what you mean, & I don't disagree.
I just look at the philosophies & the adherents as being separate but related.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yeah, not much going on there.
If it were blue, it might avoid much of the rancor.
As things are, it's redundant.

If it were Blue it would be even more disgraceful
If there is a discussion or debate and someone comes along and rancs (verb of rancour a la Kentistan) then everyone could ignore it. It's not as if it is a physical meeting and an intruder is chucking chairs around.

Help..... please. Could somebody just ell me what MRM and MRA actually stand for?

Alceste

Vagabond
I think the backlash is rooted in the idea that feminists shouldn't have the right to have a safe space to just talk amongst ourselves.

How dare we find a space where we don't have to prove our value to the world. lol

We watched the Other Woman on the weekend. All my man had to say to recommend it to me is that MRAs hate it with the heat of a thousand suns. I was all "say no more!"

It was great, though neither of us could see why it gets MRA tits in such a tangle.

It does involve 3 women having a blast together thinking of ways to get back at a guy who is cheating on them all with each other. IOW, women uniting and cooperating instead of squabbling and competing with one another, particularly for male attention.

We loved it. I have been in a very similar situation myself and found it very believable compared to the much more common Hollywood trope of women turning against each other over a man.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
If there is a discussion or debate and someone comes along and rancs (verb of rancour a la Kentistan) then everyone could ignore it. It's not as if it is a physical meeting and an intruder is chucking chairs around.
So I am assuming you are against the different colors of forums in general?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
So I am assuming you are against the different colors of forums in general?

Hi....... not totally.
Faiths and Religions need the purple.
But now folks want all kinds of Blues and Purples.
They'll just get bored with agreeing with each other! :D

Alceste

Vagabond
Ideally, feminism is a subset of egalitarianism. In practice, the label "feminism," like many labels, ends up representing a whole host of varying views and agendas, and ends up picking up such huge amounts of semantical and ideological baggage, that it eventually becomes unproductive in its role as an effective label.

For the same reason, I don't generally refer to myself as an "atheist" in real life, since that is another label that is so loaded with baggage and differing interpretations as to be an ineffective label. Besides, "rationalist" is a more accurate and inclusive label for what I am, just like "egalitarian."

I'm not sure how "egalitarian" has become a dirty word. I can only chalk it up to people's ignorance of its meaning.

I agree with your points, but I don't think egalitarianism is rejected by feminists in general. I think most of us are both feminist AND egalitarian. We simply reject the very silly argument that you can't be both. And we reject the equally silly argument that because we have a word for yearning for greater equality, we don't need a word for yearning for equal rights and opportunities for women, specifically.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sure, the chair throwing crowd could be ignored, but we all know that chaos & calamity
inevitably ensue. Blue seems to inspire rule observance, while green does not.