• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "F word" for those who hate the word "feminist"

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJPT_U97lNs

Laci Green is one of my favorite youtubers and puts it really well. All the time feminists such as myself hear people hating on the movement or on the word itself because of the negative connotations that have been attached to it by it's opponents or the idea that feminism is "wrong" simply because it focuses on the issue of gender specifically. Hopefully this will help shine some light on the issue and show that feminism is not a dirty word at all.

please note, this has nothing to do with people who hate labels or the idea of labels in general. This is simply a rebuttal in response to those who hate or misunderstand this particular label.

CynthiaCypher

Here we go:

[youtube]EJPT_U97lNs[/youtube]

And here we go again:

[youtube]UwJRFClybmk[/youtube]

I am proud to be a feminist because I want equality.

Kerr

Here we go:

[youtube]EJPT_U97lNs[/youtube]

And here we go again:

[youtube]UwJRFClybmk[/youtube]

I am proud to be a feminist because I want equality.
But... but... but... feminism... FEMINism... FEMININ-ism... clearly biased towards woman and not equality!

(Kidding, I am a feminist. Its rather annoying when people react that way, though.)

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
But... but... but... feminism... FEMINism... FEMININ-ism... clearly biased towards woman and not equality!

(Kidding, I am a feminist. Its rather annoying when people react that way, though.)

I actually had a conversation with my boyfriend last night talking about this and we believe that being against the word feminism is really just another form of unconcious sexism trying to erase and hide what is female. I posed the theory that people who complain about the word itself being sexist would not pose said argument if the word had a more masculine connotation and still meant the exact same thing. if people want evidence to support this well, you don't see people calling out the "gay rights movement" in the same manner for using a male-centric term(and yes "gay" is traditionally male-centric, otherwise it would be GBT rather than the current LGBT).

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Why would anyone have a problem with equality?

Even a Conservative Republican TEA Party member like myself is a Feminist.

I have a wife, daughter, and two grand daughters that I don't want treated like second class citizens.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Why would anyone have a problem with equality?

Even a Conservative Republican TEA Party member like myself is a Feminist.

I have a wife, daughter, and two grand daughters that I don't want treated like second class citizens.

It's why the term itself is jarring to so many people. There are feminists that exist in every demographic, and there are anti-feminists who exist in every demographic, as well.

Heck, there are plenty of hipster misogynists who waltz into feminist meetings, talk about how great it would be if we would do x, y, and z; then proceed to talk at us about what feminism really is (that it should actually be called "humanism"), ignore what we have to say as identity politics, tell us that men need to feel more welcomed, and then claim they're doing all the work when really all they do is show up, ***** about us, and waste everybody's time.

They don't last long.

MD

qualiaphile
I think most people who are familiar with wars, religious fundamentalism, genocides and such can recognize these things generally fall under patriarchial systems gone crazy. There needs to be a balance to them.

I wish feminism would take a much larger role in the world, rather than being confined to youtube squabbles against geek atheists.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I think most people who are familiar with wars, religious fundamentalism, genocides and such can recognize these things generally fall under patriarchial systems gone crazy. There needs to be a balance to them.

I wish feminism would take a much larger role in the world, rather than being confined to youtube squabbles against geek atheists.

A number of activists do just that. The vast majority, however, must do it in secret to maintain a force against the systems that murder, rape, and traffic women and children. There's a big reason why people don't often hear about them. Largely because many activists who engage this way work in the most impoverished, violent, and forgotten landscapes. Most people don't like looking at a part of our culture that experiences this scope of devastation, so it's easy to ignore.

Youtube squabbles don't hurt. But they are not the totality of the movement.

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation
I actually had a conversation with my boyfriend last night talking about this and we believe that being against the word feminism is really just another form of unconcious sexism trying to erase and hide what is female. I posed the theory that people who complain about the word itself being sexist would not pose said argument if the word had a more masculine connotation and still meant the exact same thing. if people want evidence to support this well, you don't see people calling out the "gay rights movement" in the same manner for using a male-centric term(and yes "gay" is traditionally male-centric, otherwise it would be GBT rather than the current LGBT).

Look at the word it screams female supremacy yet says to be equal. Your basically making my point. Most feminists pretend to know what is best for all women and oppose women who disagree with them. If you do disagree your sexist and anti-women. It's a word that feeds the female-ego.

The gay community has nothing to do with women's rights. Because some women support and others do not. Which is another thing of trying to bundle causes. I am pretty sure a gay guy is not centered on your rights. Has his own **** to worry about. Plus Lesbian comes before Gay. Lesbian is simply a word used to further describe a female as gay. If says she is Gay everyone knows she is a lesbian.

Feminists cannot take a joke pointed at them. If I were to say make me a sandwich and afterward give me a blow job you would freak the hell out. Plus unless you met your boyfriend at a women's rally probably only cares because you do. Do you discuss men's rights as well? Of how the judicial system is inclined to give child custody to women. One that allows women to decide whether or not to have a kid. But if she does the guy has to pay for it even if he wanted the abortion. One that screams out rape of women. Yet completely shuns men being raped by women.

Last edited:

CynthiaCypher

Look at the word it screams female supremacy yet says to be equal. Your basically making my point. Most feminists pretend to know what is best for all women and oppose women who disagree with them. If you do disagree your sexist and anti-women. It's a word that feeds the female-ego.

The gay community has nothing to do with women's rights. Because some women support and others do not. Which is another thing of trying to bundle causes. I am pretty sure a gay guy is not centered on your rights. Has his own **** to worry about. Plus Lesbian comes before Gay. Lesbian is simply a word used to further describe a female as gay. If says she is Gay everyone knows she is a lesbian.

Feminists cannot take a joke pointed at them. If I were to say make me a sandwich and afterward give me a blow job you would freak the hell out. Plus unless you met your boyfriend at a women's rally probably only cares because you do. Do you discuss men's rights as well? Of how the judicial system is inclined to give child custody to women. One that allows women to decide whether or not to have a kid. But if she does the guy has to pay for it even if he wanted the abortion. One that screams out rape of women. Yet completely shuns men being raped by women.

<yawn>

Heard this all before in a 20 million different ways. It was old then and it is getting even older now.

</yawn>

idav

Being
Premium Member
I think ism I think religion. Femin-ism is worshipping of women possibly of amazonian decent.
:run:

Phil25

Interesting

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
A major problem with feminism is that you either are a feminist(then worthy) or you are not(then unworthy). Feminist do not accept debate or discussion. Even on the RF they have a closed DIR.

As to the video's they have not changed my views. I am for equality but not for the feminist movement which in my opinion goes beyond equality and does not allow for personal choice.

CynthiaCypher

I am pretty much concerned with the suffering and oppression all gays whether they are male or female endured at the hands of the Patriarchy.

xkatz

If people want gender-based equality, why not just simply call it egalitarianism? That way its a more universal endeavor.

I respect most of the ideas of feminism. Rights shouldn't be abrogated because your gender. However, there are a few self-proclaimed feminist and social justice warriors who make mundane things into gender issues for no real valid reason (eg Anita Sarkeesian and video games) and I think this is what annoys some people. While it is important to strive for equality in terms of gender, not everything is worth making into a social issue.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
If people want gender-based equality, why not just simply call it egalitarianism? That way its a more universal endeavor.

I respect most of the ideas of feminism. Rights shouldn't be abrogated because your gender. However, there are a few self-proclaimed feminist and social justice warriors who make mundane things into gender issues for no real valid reason (eg Anita Sarkeesian and video games) and I think this is what annoys some people. While it is important to strive for equality in terms of gender, not everything is worth making into a social issue.

First, if it is annoying, there ought to be the question, "why?" Does it make people uncomfortable? Or is it an annoying misdirection that can be glossed over?

Sarkeesian receives rape and death threats. I don't think this is the result of people finding her annoying. I find them to be attempts to get her to shut up.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
A major problem with feminism is that you either are a feminist(then worthy) or you are not(then unworthy). Feminist do not accept debate or discussion. Even on the RF they have a closed DIR.

As to the video's they have not changed my views. I am for equality but not for the feminist movement which in my opinion goes beyond equality and does not allow for personal choice.

RF established a safe space for feminists to go if we wish to discuss issues without being repeatedly derailed into why feminism isn't even needed, how feminists are angry ugly hairy man-haters, and a host of other derailment tactics demonstrated by other members.

This does not stop having feminist debates in the open forums. Which you see and are participating in right now.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Look at the word it screams female supremacy

Therefore, "gay rights movement" screams homosexual supremacy, "minority rights movement" screams minority supremacy, etc... if we want to be consistent with this kind of logic, that is.

The term "feminism" does not scream, or even subtly imply, supremacy of anything, and saying that it does is nothing more than a petty nitpick.

The use of the prefix "feminine" is there because the feminine is what's far most often oppressed and abused, than the masculine. Therefore, seeking equality involves elevating the feminine to the same level as the masculine. We've more or less achieved that legally, but not yet socially.