• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Evolutionary Roots of Morality?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
From the Telegraph (UK):

Although morality has always been viewed as a human trait that sets us apart from the animals, it now appears our closest ancestors share the same scruples.

Scientists have that discovered monkeys and apes can make judgements about fairness, offer sympathy and help and remember obligations.

Researchers say the findings may demonstrate morality developed through evolution, a view that is likely to antagonise the devoutly religious, who see it as God-given.

Professor Frans de Waal, who led the study at Emory University in Georgia, US, said: "I am not arguing that non-human primates are moral beings but there is enough evidence for the following of social rules to agree that some of the stepping stones towards human morality can be found in other animals."

So did morality come about through evolution or was it handed down to humans carved on stone tablets as dictated by God?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Morality has further developed as life in human society became more and more complex, the ancient codices of the ANE are a testimony of communities or rather larger societies which defined their identity.
if we read some of the ancient codices, for example the Hittite one, we will be surprised that it stressed the many things the Hittites arent to do (mainly highly unorthodox sexual acts), as to show their higher moral stand over their neighbors, who supposedly engaged in those acts.
we cant compare the morality of a prehistoric man who had a completely different life style and social duties than that of a citizen in the Athenian democracy, and certainly not to a 21st century modern man.
they may all had a sense of moral compass and social awareness, but society became more sophisticated in these different eras, and demanded 'moral adaptation'. no where in time was there a point that humanity was struck on the head by a stone plates which fell from the heavens, and made it clear that from this day on, they have no excuse of getting away with murder.
a sense of morality, is derived from a sense of community, and our primate relatives have their own sense of community.

Inky

That makes sense to me. Morality is so universal among human cultures that I think it must be partly genetic. It's nice to think that maybe other species get pleasure from helping others, the way we do.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
That makes sense to me. Morality is so universal among human cultures that I think it must be partly genetic. It's nice to think that maybe other species get pleasure from helping others, the way we do.

Now if you said all men where descendants from dogs.........:D

if it is immoral to kill someone with morals is it then immoral to kil chimps?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I thought it was cute. :D

This study is no big surprise to me.. but then I've been learning about this sort of thing for a while. From altruistic behavior in Prairie dogs to law keeping in wasps. (if you are a social insect never step out of line, all crimes = death penalty).

wa:do

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
a sense of morality, is derived from a sense of community, and our primate relatives have their own sense of community.

It seems to me that, ultimately, a sense of morality is derived from the interaction of our genes with their environment.

J Bryson

Certain types of morality will cause one to contribute to one's community, which in turn provides for greater chances of survival. It makes sense that the selfish and venal would be shunned from their tribes and communities, leading to less of a chance of survival, and less of an ability to pass on one's genes.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It makes sense that the selfish and venal would be shunned from their tribes and communities, leading to less of a chance of survival, and less of an ability to pass on one's genes.

Of course, one would need to factor in deception. That is, the too selfish might be shunned, but perhaps not if they were especially charming, or especially good liars, or especially adept at politics. So selection might strongly disfavor only the most obnoxious folks.

J Bryson

Of course, one would need to factor in deception. That is, the too selfish might be shunned, but perhaps not if they were especially charming, or especially good liars, or especially adept at politics. So selection might strongly disfavor only the most obnoxious folks.

Agreed. And this, in turn, would serve to explain much of how hypocrisy and glib charm can run rampant over the morality needed to bind a community together. Which, in turn, explains much about society today, and about how people can cynically rise to the top of otherwise positive and fruitful spiritual and religious movements.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Lies are a risk/benefit calculation on individuals part.
Is the risk of punishment worth the potential benefit?

Most lies in nature are centered around reproduction. No big surprise there. :cool:

wa:do

astarath

In monkeys there lies no more a binding neccessity of morality than in humans. There are those that strive to survive and out of commonality group with one another. Those who differ are excluded. This does not show signs of morality but rather neccessity. In humans the liars and thieves can achieve greatness as long as they disguise their whims and make a front of commonality.

The main debate against morality in humanity being natural is purpose. Without faith what purpose is there to bind ones lifestyle to a moral code?

Dezzie

I think morality has a thing to do with our genes... I think it is something we learned over time and became accustomed to... Please realize that there are many human beings with out that morality though... if it was a human's nature, that immoral person got skipped on that part of the deal. lol Maybe morality has a little bit to do with both, religion and human nature? Maybe religion is what causes others immorality? Hmm... Notice that people argue and fight over religion quite often in this world.

Dezzie

I got that morality is defined as doing good deeds and doing things that are right. Helping others and being good to people no matter who they are.

astarath

Right so that is what it is but why should someone in today's society strive to be moral. What value is there in it?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Could morality be an off shoot of our emotional responce system enhanced by our thought process.

Morals are things we feel are wrong. Those feelings are brought on by our emotions. Our emotions were set up to drive our survival instinct.

Scared = run
infatuation = sex
Sad = help

Sort of simplifying but then morals would be the simple responses of our emotions magnified to support societies changes.