• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The End

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Death is only an illusion that we all have to experience before waking up in new fake bodies to explore new fake worlds. Once you understand how we're created, then you will know for sure that everything we experience within our mind is only an illusion formed from the processing of information.

Ok, now pretend you hold this illusion and address the question please.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Personally, I think it creates liberty; if frees you from all that afterlife nonsense and allows you to focus on the here and now.

HonestJoe

Can the view that death is absolute (the big end, nothing after, no way no how) enrich a person's appreciation for life?
It clearly can. There are plenty of people who see it exactly in that way. Equally, there are others who see it as depressing and meaningless and plenty who don’t really consider it either way. The same mixture will be true of any view of death.

I think what we take away from how the world seem to be (and how we spin things in our own minds to how we’d prefer them to be) is mostly about our individual characters than what we actually believe. Someone who sees absolute death as affirming life would probably get the same from some belief in an afterlife and someone who sees it as depressing would probably get something more negative form belief in an afterlife.

Kirran

Premium Member
I don't fear death especially, or not more than most people I don't think. That didn't factor in to my coming to believe in reincarnation.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
If everything is not an illusion then death is final, but if everything is an illusion then death may not be. I accept death, but that does not mean I am convinced of it.

Godel's mathematical Incompleteness Theorem, if correct, shows that reality cannot prove itself to be consistent. I think I have experienced things that do not fit into the physical sciences, things I do not intend to forget or sweep under the rug; and I am not given to drug abuse or on psychotropics. Therefore I do not appeal to physical science to answer whether reality is an illusion, which is what this topic really is about. I accept death but not reality. Death certainly seems real, but reality does not. Therefore I cannot conclude absolutely about the nature of death.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
What difference does it make if I decide that I want to be a serial killer if I don't have to take responsibility for it ?

If you can just up and decide you want to be a serial killer then there is something seriously wrong with you.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What difference does it make if I decide that I want to be a serial killer if I don't have to take responsibility for it ?
Why wouldn't you take responsibility for it?

AFAIK, the only worldviews that hold that serial killers don't have to take responsibility for their crimes are religions that preach forgiveness of sins and afterlives:

- don't worry about yourself. If you say the right words or believe the right thing, you won't be punished.

- don't worry about your victims. They're in a better place now, so they're actually better off because you killed them.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Can the view that death is absolute (the big end, nothing after, no way no how) enrich a person's appreciation for life?
no.....it just drives then to satisfy any animal urging

seriously.....without the spirit in the lead......
you are an animal