• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The End

allfoak

Alchemist
If you can just up and decide you want to be a serial killer then there is something seriously wrong with you.
What difference does it make? When I'm dead I'm dead no consequences. In fact, you have no basis for judging me either based upon the OP.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Can the view that death is absolute (the big end, nothing after, no way no how) enrich a person's appreciation for life?

Yes. It can make you have more sense of "you are not alone" when you have peers that will go through the same. It also hightens your sense of purpose and responsibility to other people you care for who are younger than you. You get that lesson of "everything changes" and you start getting comfortable with things you dont know about. There is more observing of ones plsce in life. For me, it made me realize I am not "special." I die just as the animals and plants and trees. Why I am is a useless question because it tries to pin pur existence and thinking we "know" for one more second. When we live without a destination (of course, a plan is helpful) then whichever wrong turns you consider wrong you make will not take you off from your destination.

You appreciate you have. Accept what you believe regardless if it can be proven. Use what you have to survive until your body ways "lights out."

Its hard to do but my goal is to get to that understandin of suffering and karmma so I dont need a destination just understanding and applying lessons as life goes on.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What difference does it make? When I'm dead I'm dead no consequences. In fact, you have no basis for judging me either based upon the OP.
A couple of centuries of philosophical and psychological theory would seem to dispute that there's no basis for morality.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

I decide on what basis I can judge you. Want to know why? Because I am me, and you are not me. If you really have no problem with just up and killing a bunch of people, you have some serious problems.

A Vestigial Mote

Can the view that death is absolute (the big end, nothing after, no way no how) enrich a person's appreciation for life?
In many ways I feel that it helps one not to fear EITHER death or life. Get out there and do what you want. What is [truly] holding you back?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If death was an absoulute , then how did we even get here in the first place?

Life would have been impossible, yet here we are. Still alive. ;0)

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
If death was an absoulute , then how did we even get here in the first place?

Life would have been impossible, yet here we are. Still alive. ;0)

That is not really the question being asked, remember it says "Can the view". Clearly some people view death as final, so how does that view impact them? The question of if death is or is not absolute is not the question being asked here.

It is amazing how hard it is for some of you to look through beliefs that are not your own.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
By whose metric?

By mine and any other person with a sense of decency and a conscience. Are you really suggesting you could just become a serial killer? When people make those types of arguments it seems like they are arguing that religion breeds sociopaths.

Kirran

Premium Member
By mine and any other person with a sense of decency and a conscience. Are you really suggesting you could just become a serial killer? When people make those types of arguments it seems like they are arguing that religion breeds sociopaths.

I couldn't, but this is all totally subjective. There's nothing intrinsically stopping you from being a serial killer - some people might think it's perfectly OK to become a serial killer and just go for it.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that to want to be a serial killer is extremely rare, if at all. I think serial killers start as angry, hateful, and abnormal people who kill once and like it so they do it again.

train-wreck.jpg

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I couldn't, but this is all totally subjective. There's nothing intrinsically stopping you from being a serial killer - some people might think it's perfectly OK to become a serial killer and just go for it.

If morality was so personalized then it would not exist. A lack of a conscience is considered an abnormal defect, which means most people have one. I don't care how you argue that conscience came to be, it is something the normal person has.

Not to mention that serial killing is very illegal. Likely to get a death sentence, and that is a strong deterrent for anyone who believes this is the only life you get.

Kirran

Premium Member
If morality was so personalized then it would not exist. A lack of a conscience is considered an abnormal defect, which means most people have one.

Not to mention that serial killing is very illegal. Likely to get a death sentence, and that is a strong deterrent for anyone who believes this is the only life you get.

So in what sense do you think morality exists objectively then?

Laws change! In many countries killing people is legal if the government pays you for it and tells you who to kill.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So in what sense do you think morality exists objectively then?

Laws change! In many countries killing people is legal if the government pays you for it and tells you who to kill.
And people who do that are serial killers.